HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3341  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 12:32 AM
Oyster Ditch Oyster Ditch is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
What do you mean?
Well one time at the truck rodeo in ‘96 a little number named Cecile was dropping O sounds like ayoille defonce moi mon esti sale pute encule moi plus fort! plus vite! ca pue!! Crazy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3342  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 2:45 AM
Loco101's Avatar
Loco101 Loco101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Timmins, Northern Ontario
Posts: 9,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Ditch View Post
Well one time at the truck rodeo in ‘96 a little number named Cecile was dropping O sounds like ayoille defonce moi mon esti sale pute encule moi plus fort! plus vite! ca pue!! Crazy.
That sounds like many francophones in Northern Ontario! I would say that half of the people at the truck rodeo live in Ontario. I hear that kind of talk in Timmins a lot and a lot of people here go to that event. But that kind of talk does exist in Abitibi-Témiscamingue of course and the fact that it's a truck rodeo sponsored by Coors Light, people in cowboy hats and truck driver caps and drag racing trucks....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3343  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 3:47 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
My neighbour said "it's a beauty day today." That's gotta be the most hoser thing I've ever heard.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3344  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:31 AM
Nashe's Avatar
Nashe Nashe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
My neighbour said "it's a beauty day today." That's gotta be the most hoser thing I've ever heard.
"Yah, eh?"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3345  
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 1:11 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321
A couple of things... this is Afiya (we're on a first-name basis with a lot of our immigrants, it's that slow lol). She's from Pakistan. She came here working for MYSA Smart Thermostats but she also opened a stall at the St. John's Farmers' Market which eventually turned into a business in Mount Pearl, Curry Delight. So she has her full-time tech job, a stand at the farmers' market, and a restaurant.

Anyhow, this is what it sounds like when a foreigner learns English here:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=316773999218947

And also, Jack Axes, a local axe-throwing business, translated English and Newfoundland English separately (and included Irish!) lol:

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3346  
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 3:02 AM
Pinus Pinus is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
My neighbour said "it's a beauty day today." That's gotta be the most hoser thing I've ever heard.
It's a common term in Australia as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3347  
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:13 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,240
B'y is probably the biggest mystery to me. What the hell does that even mean?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3348  
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:17 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321
It's just "boy", hehe. Of course it's evolved since then. You can use it for anyone of any gender today and it also can be used anywhere you'd use "eh".

We have a couple of "oy" words pronounced that way here. Most men named "Roy", for example, pronounce it "Rye". And it's not an accent as such. They definitely don't usually pronounce "oy" that way.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3349  
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:26 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Not sure if this has been discussed previously, but at least around here, over the last few years "have a good one" has almost completely replaced "have a nice day"/"have a good day"/etc. as the standard informal parting words, especially in a customer service setting.

It's surprising how quick and widespread that change was.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3350  
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 8:51 PM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed previously, but at least around here, over the last few years "have a good one" has almost completely replaced "have a nice day"/"have a good day"/etc. as the standard informal parting words, especially in a customer service setting.

It's surprising how quick and widespread that change was.
Much as “no worries” has replaced “you’re welcome”.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3351  
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 9:10 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It's just "boy", hehe. Of course it's evolved since then. You can use it for anyone of any gender today and it also can be used anywhere you'd use "eh".

We have a couple of "oy" words pronounced that way here. Most men named "Roy", for example, pronounce it "Rye". And it's not an accent as such. They definitely don't usually pronounce "oy" that way.
I think it is just used the same way that Australians use "mate", meaning "friend" literally, although not in every context.

Something else I've noticed is the word "government" is pronounced "guv'ement" without pronouncing the "ern". I think this is a NL thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3352  
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 9:18 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Much as “no worries” has replaced “you’re welcome”.
I've noticed that a lot, too. I wonder if this is a conscious nod to Australia or if it's just one of those things?

The one I hate to distraction is "no problem" instead of "you're welcome" in response to "thank you." The entitlement and narcissism required to feel moved to reassure me that I have not unduly harassed someone by being the recipient of a small service that is part of their job never fail to impress me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3353  
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 9:30 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I've noticed that a lot, too. I wonder if this is a conscious nod to Australia or if it's just one of those things?

The one I hate to distraction is "no problem" instead of "you're welcome" in response to "thank you." The entitlement and narcissism required to feel moved to reassure me that I have not unduly harassed someone by being the recipient of a small service that is part of their job never fail to impress me.
In the US (usually Pacific Northwest or California) I most frequently hear "uh huh" or "yup", which I initially thought was kind of rude but is normal there.

Plus Americans tend to ask questions to strangers without any kind of introduction, and talk about oddly personal things.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3354  
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 9:49 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I think it is just used the same way that Australians use "mate", meaning "friend" literally, although not in every context.

Something else I've noticed is the word "government" is pronounced "guv'ement" without pronouncing the "ern". I think this is a NL thing.
I say goverment. Just that middle N is missing haha.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3355  
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 10:18 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I say goverment. Just that middle N is missing haha.
That is common everywhere.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3356  
Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:11 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
In the US (usually Pacific Northwest or California) I most frequently hear "uh huh" or "yup", which I initially thought was kind of rude but is normal there.

Plus Americans tend to ask questions to strangers without any kind of introduction, and talk about oddly personal things.
I really hate the American uh-huh in response to a thank you.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3357  
Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:16 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I've noticed that a lot, too. I wonder if this is a conscious nod to Australia or if it's just one of those things?

The one I hate to distraction is "no problem" instead of "you're welcome" in response to "thank you." The entitlement and narcissism required to feel moved to reassure me that I have not unduly harassed someone by being the recipient of a small service that is part of their job never fail to impress me.
In Québec no problem = pas de trouble (often heard as troub')

The more posh European French pas de souci is also used by some.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3358  
Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:38 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The more posh European French pas de souci is also used by some.
The posh French version sounds like lower class Australian - "no worries"
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3359  
Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:56 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The posh French version sounds like lower class Australian - "no worries"
Indeed it does. Note that it only sounds posh in Quebec. In France it is run of the mill.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3360  
Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:02 AM
Loco101's Avatar
Loco101 Loco101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Timmins, Northern Ontario
Posts: 9,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
In the US (usually Pacific Northwest or California) I most frequently hear "uh huh" or "yup", which I initially thought was kind of rude but is normal there.

Plus Americans tend to ask questions to strangers without any kind of introduction, and talk about oddly personal things.
I've heard "uh huh" as a response to "thank you" used throughout much of the U.S.. And you are absolutely correct about how many Americans talking to complete strangers about personal things. I've had some tell me about their personal finances, health, possessions, relationships and it would be rare to have the same thing occur in Canada. But it normally has happened at least a few times on every vacation I've taken in the states.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:55 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.