HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^Very convenient to Best Buy and, more importantly, the Tonayense Taco Truck because all impoverished students in SF should be living on burritos and theirs are among the best.
You should run for office. "We must make sure our students have access to education and delicious, delicious burritos."

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 9:09 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
Many businesses have come & gone in this building. The Giraffe bar used to be on the corner of Polk & Hemlock. On the Sutter side there was an antique store. Soon most of us will have forgotten what was on the corner!

Demolition - Sutter, Hemlock & Polk Streets by Apollo's Light, on Flickr

I needed a reminder what was going in there

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
Not that the Hemlock building was glorious in any way, but the rendering for the new build looks... ugh.

It's becoming tiring to feel like we're constantly sacrificing either quality or capacity—but in reality, getting neither the high capacity or higher quality buildings.

We need far better design standards in San Francisco.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 5:56 PM

^^Because an average construction cost in SF of $330/sq ft isn't high enough. We could require better quality materials, more design reviews and let the neighbors vote on how proposals look to them (as many times as they want) and get it up to maybe $500.

My idea is to have zoning--height, type of use--and let developers take it from there, competing for buyers/tenants with, among other things, building quality. If a proposal meets the zoning restrictions, no further "review" required--let the building begin.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 7:00 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
^^Because an average construction cost in SF of $330/sq ft isn't high enough. We could require better quality materials, more design reviews and let the neighbors vote on how proposals look to them (as many times as they want) and get it up to maybe $500.

My idea is to have zoning--height, type of use--and let developers take it from there, competing for buyers/tenants with, among other things, building quality. If a proposal meets the zoning restrictions, no further "review" required--let the building begin.

That's really the best way to get eclectic design, otherwise (and I know from experience) developers work to what they think will pass. Review boards are garbage. They point out the obvious and give opinions that become standards for approval.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 10:08 PM

I think these bland boxy buildings look pretty good when they are 100-200 feet. It’s the squat, fat, boxy Mini mall look that is .. blah. For example that tall building behind Hemlock (RIP) looks nice to me but if it were only 5 stories it would be very boring.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:15 AM

Quote:

Right, and the free market approach does a great job putting aesthetics, quality or safety over profit and ego.

I have no doubt that your idea would lead to a mess on the scale of what London is suffering from, with their totally unchained, wild looking highrise boom; worse yet, China and their 'loose' building requirements.

The approval process is unnecessarily slow (nearly everyone agrees), but before we suggest gutting practical regulations or standards, we should work to streamline that process reasonably and prob mitigate the onslaught of absurd appeals by the public.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
Right, and the free market approach does a great job putting aesthetics, quality or safety over profit and ego.

I have no doubt that your idea would lead to a mess on the scale of what London is suffering from, with their totally unchained, wild looking highrise boom; worse yet, China and their 'loose' building requirements.

The approval process is unnecessarily slow (nearly everyone agrees), but before we suggest gutting practical regulations or standards, we should work to streamline that process reasonably and prob mitigate the onslaught of absurd appeals by the public.
I think it does. I think you get a more interesting variety of projects with a more diverse appearance rather than all buildings looking almost the same as in so much new construction in San Francisco, built to satisfy the tastes of a few people in the Planning Dept. And I think the marketplace would prod developers to compete on aesthetics and quality. Some may go for schlock--and they will have trouble selling or renting in their projects.

I think London's buildings are, on the whole, far more interesting that San Francisco's. But I also think it doesn't much matter what you or I as individuals think. In a city of a million people, there are a million opinions about what is attractive or desirable.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:18 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post

You'll never have a completely free market approach in SF.
Construction standards will never be lowered, but as you said the regulatory process can be streamlined and also public appeals and review boards.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Big Plans for a Polk Gulch Infill Project Revealed
May 8, 2019

Plans for a 12-story infill building to rise up to 125 feet in height on the site of the Polk Gulch funeral home at 1123 Sutter Street (Halsted N. Gray-Carew & English) have been drafted.

While the columned façade of the funeral home would be preserved, the space behind would be converted into 5,600 square feet of retail space, with an adjacent 3,200-square-foot space for a child care center and residential units above, as massed by BAR Architects for the development team, Martin Building, below.

In addition, the adjacent parking garage on the corner of (1101) Sutter and Larkin, which has been deemed a potential historic resource, would be gutted, its ground floor converted into 5,000 square feet of office space (and the new building’s lobby), with apartments and a new amenity and deck space addition above.

The overall development would yield a total of 197 new apartments (a mix of 41 studios, 75 one-bedrooms and 81 twos) as envisioned, with basement parking for 90 cars, along with the retail, office and child care spaces outlined above . . . .

https://socketsite.com/archives/2019...-revealed.html

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
I think it does. I think you get a more interesting variety of projects with a more diverse appearance rather than all buildings looking almost the same as in so much new construction in San Francisco, built to satisfy the tastes of a few people in the Planning Dept. And I think the marketplace would prod developers to compete on aesthetics and quality. Some may go for schlock--and they will have trouble selling or renting in their projects.

I think London's buildings are, on the whole, far more interesting that San Francisco's. But I also think it doesn't much matter what you or I as individuals think. In a city of a million people, there are a million opinions about what is attractive or desirable.
I understand where your head is but I don't think anyone wants the entire city to look the same all over.

My original point was that these value-engineered projects might not be aesthetically 'interesting' but a higher standard for qualifiable materials would help them age better, fit contextually, and likely be more visually appealing AND retain their value—both the now and decades from now.

A perfect example of quality materials aiding in the success of a project is Kennerly's Bill Sorro or even DBA's 500 Turk. Whether you think they're visually appealing or not, they're a great precedent for how much nicer (even below market rate) projects would turn out if the city encouraged better finishes. i.e. No matter how many opinions there are about what's 'attractive or desirable' there's a massive difference between terracotta and stucco.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Semi-Massive Redevelopment of CPMC Campus Closer to Reality
May 10, 2019

With an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the formally proposed semi-massive redevelopment of CPMC’s nearly 5-acre California Hospital Campus at 3700 California Street about to be drafted, the project team has refined their plans and projected timing for the project.

The refined plans now include 273 units of high-end housing, up from 258 as previously envisioned, spread across 31 new buildings rising up to seven stories in height on the southern border of Presidio Heights.

At the same time, the number of off-street parking spaces, which Planning had recommended be reduced, has been increased from 393 to 416, including 2 spaces for each of the 12 single-family homes.

Next week, the refined plans will be informally presented to San Francisco’s Planning Commission. The public hearing for the project’s Draft Environmental Impact Report, which will soon be released, is slated to be held on July 11. And assuming the Impact Report is certified, the project could be approved this coming January, 2020.

. . . TMG Partners appears to be positioning for a ground breaking around 2021, phasing the project on a block-by-block (but potentially overlapping) basis, and potentially finishing construction around 2024, “dictated by market conditions” . . . .

(From)

(To)

https://socketsite.com/archives/2019...comment-346985

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 4:10 AM

Market at Church Street

Surprised as to how nice this nearly completed building looks.

Market & Church Streets

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
Surprised as to how nice this nearly completed building looks.

Market & Church Streets
Very nice!

I was getting nervous this one would perma-stall. I feel like it's been in a relatively similar state for the last year.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:11 PM

Surprised nobody else has mentioned this since it popped up on Socketsite a few days ago.

570 Market Street proposal for new 29 story hotel. 300 feet tall, 241 room hotel, 4,100 sq feet of retail and a 16th floor rooftop bar.

Full details and more renderings:
https://socketsite.com/archives/2019...ight-here.html

Plain Jane building to be sure, but welcome density.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 5:48 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Plain Jane building to be sure, but welcome density.
It’s more like Ugly Betty...hideous from top to bottom, disrespectful of its neighbors, and not meeting the street well at all. I, for one, don’t welcome that kind of density because we could do so much better for that site, an important one that fronts on both Market and Sutter.

Last edited by viewguysf; May 18, 2019 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 6:13 AM
你的媽媽

Whoever designed that should have their architecture license revoked.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 9:56 PM

Agree with you guys. It is disrespectful of it's neighbors. Cheap & tawdry. I guess the architect thinks that the alternating colored panels is an acceptable device to blend in with the buildings on each side - it does not! The block deserves better.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
It’s more like Ugly Betty...hideous from top to bottom, disrespectful of its neighbors, and not meeting the street well at all. I, for one, don’t welcome that kind of density because we could do so much better for that site, an important one that fronts on both Market and Sutter.
I actually think the podium, the part that meets the street and relates to neighbors, is the best part of it. Not great, of course, but acceptable. It's the tower I hate. New York is building a 42 story jail--I'll have to go check it out because I suspect it's more attractive.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 3:53 AM

Trash indeed. Definitely not the last iteration of this we'll see in coming years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations