Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere
|
I wouldn't agree to that either. But exactly for the reason you mentioned, I think it's unlikely that particular layout will make the cut. In any case, I'm not too worried; it's basically just a prettied-up screenshot of Streetmix.net, and I remember seeing median-running concepts too, so I wouldn't assume that it's anywhere near a final decision.
Quote:
|
I do realize that there are far too many buses on Wellington, but even if we halved the amount of buses, we would still get a max PPHPD of 6600, far above the 3900 Gatineau is planning, assuming there would be transit priority.
|
A bus every 60 seconds is unstable under the best of conditions. If you throw in intersections and variable passenger loads and it quickly becomes impossible to maintain. Again, you can make it work, but you can't make it work well.
The comparison between a signal priority and non signal priority mode is a false one since they don't provide the same speed, regularity, or reliability. Scheduling a bus or a tram every 60 seconds means that passengers will be waiting at red lights, behind alighting vehicles, and at stations waiting for the next bunch to arrive. Scheduling every 4-5 minutes means a faster, reliable ride.
This is perhaps the biggest advantage of light rail; by running long vehicles, you can ensure a high capacity while maintaining a sustainably low frequency despite a lack of grade separation. In that context, a single signal priority bus lane can carry 1500 (standard artic) to 2700 (bi-articulated bus) pphpd while a signal priority tram lane can achieve anywhere from 3900 (260-person trams) to 8400 (Budapest's 560-person trams) pphpd.
If we're considering spending on a at-grade system which will require sub-4-minute frequencies from day 1, we're spending on something which will quickly become obsolete.