Army & Navy celebrates 100 years of bargain retail
Jacqui Cohen, who has stores in Vancouver, New Westminster and Langley, as well as land in PoCo, survives in retail as as other stores have closed
Glen Korstrom / Business in Vancouver
APRIL 16, 2019
At age 65, with her Army & Navy Department Store chain turning 100, seasoned businesswoman Jacqui Cohen is feeling inspired and vindicated.
While other large retail chains have faltered and died, Army & Navy, with holdings in Port Coquitlam, and stores in Vancouver, New Westminster, Langley, Calgary and Edmonton, has thrived.
...
One of her proudest accomplishments is that she has not sold her family’s real estate holdings. Among the prized properties is the 13-storey Dominion Building, located at 207 West Hastings St., which was the tallest commercial building in the British Empire when it was completed in 1910.
It is now assessed at more than $40.2 million, or slightly more than the assessed value of her Point Grey Road home.
She owns the real estate under all of her Army & Navy stores except for the one in Langley, as well five hectares of undeveloped land in Port Coquitlam in the Dominion Triangle — a portion of Nicola Avenue crosses it — as well as a home near the University of British Columbia, where her 87-year-old mother, Marlene Cohen, lives.
“I did inherit my real estate portfolio but it takes a lot of skill to not screw it up,” she said.
She once briefly considered building condominium towers above her Cordova Street store while keeping the facade, which dates back to 1889.
“There was a time, when Woodward’s was on the cusp of being developed, when I thought, ‘I want to do what [developer Ian] Gillespie did. I want towers. I want a phallic symbol that says I was here. You know, you get over that,” she said. “Who wants to deal with the city?”
...
https://www.tricitynews.com/news/army-navy-celebrates-100-years-of-bargain-retail-1.23793056