Well I must be doing something right if I have managed at 2.5 years to thoroughly disappoint Keithp

A large club.
In no way am I anti-development. Recall that I faced down an angry room to approve the eight storey residential option on this project and had a few choice four letters words hurled my way for my troubles. I think I'm probably one of the only Councillors who would do that in their own district. Most would have thrown good planning right out the window to pander. I didn't because something should be built here and well-designed mid-rise residential would be a great fit.
In terms of Colin's point about being able to stop this, he's half right. I considered trying to go after the commercial zoning to close the hotel option when this came before me in 2017, but doing so would have been an all or nothing 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 that would have either removed the hotel threat or guaranteed the exact outcome that I was trying to avoid: an as-of-right hotel. HRM can't just alter zoning on a whim. It requires a motion from Council to initiate, then a public process, and whatever change is proposed only becomes binding once a public hearing is scheduled. The developer would have seen that coming and would have had several months at least to run out and get a building permit. By forcing him to do the work and put out the cash for a building permit just to protect his only certain option, I very well might have guaranteed the very thing that I was hoping to avoid: an as-of-right hotel. Given how the developer was doggedly pursuing a residential project, and that the Centre Plan was coming forward, it wasn’t a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 I was willing to make. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say, but it felt like too big a risk at the time