HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 3:01 AM
Category Five

Building going up on 8th and Broadway, what project is this?

New facade looks good on this building

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
It's either the Bosa tower or the Minto one right next to it.

Bosa:

Minto:

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 11:43 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post

It's Bosa.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 11:44 AM
Registered San Diegan

There is a crane at Pacific Gateway, folks. I saw it with my own eyes

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:25 PM
Frequent Lurker

Horton Plaza as a tech campus? Here’s a preview
April 10, 2019

Article: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...eres-a-preview

Quote:
Horton Plaza is showing signs of new life — albeit only in picture form for now.

Wednesday, the mall’s new owner, Stockdale Capital Partners, released three renderings, showing off publicly for the first time its vision for the former Nordstrom building on G Street and previewing a tenant amenity deck where the mall’s food court used to be.

It’s a partial unveiling that comes ahead of the developer’s Thursday visit to City Hall, where San Diego’s economic development committee will weigh in on an agreement that would allow the developer to replace the retail center with a mixed-use office campus.

“It’s a radical change in terms of taking this from an outdated mall to a modern, creative office (campus),” said Dan Michaels, managing director for Stockdale. “The goal is to make sure that, as you rise above (the ground floor), you see views across the city.”

Specific elements of the project are still in flux, but the current high-level plan involves converting second-floor-and-above storefronts into around 772,000 square feet of modern office space. Trendy food, beverage and fitness concepts would take over the roughly 300,000 square feet in remaining ground-floor space.
Outside the former Nordstrom (1st and G, looking northeast):

Inside the former Nordstrom:

Amenity Deck:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Horton Plaza as a tech campus? Here’s a preview
April 10, 2019

Article: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...eres-a-preview

Outside the former Nordstrom (1st and G, looking northeast):

Inside the former Nordstrom:

Amenity Deck:
I admit I’m having trouble seeing the vision for HP. If it succeeds in bringing good tech jobs downtown then it will be good, but I’m kind of underwhelmed by those renderings. It looks like a pretty run of the mill office building. In fact, it looks kind of like something from a suburban office park plopped downtown.

I also thought the plan included taller buildings?

They also seem vague on what will go in the retail spaces.

This also opens up a discussion about if downtown needs a shopping district, which most major downtowns have. Without HP, there is really no major retail downtown (not sure if they are keeping the Macy’s). Meanwhile, UTC continues to explode with a lot of major retail/design stores being built. In fact I read that Design Within Reach which used to be downtown but closed many years ago is going to open in UTC.

I’m wondering if with the trolley extension the thought is that UTC is “the” design/high end retail center of SD so downtown doesn’t need any of this?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:03 PM

I feel like Manchester Pacific Gateway is gonna change that. Also, I feel like a lot of UTC's success does boil down to the fact that there are a lot of high-paying jobs there, which could translate to similar success and retail demand downtown if the Horton Campus is successful, particularly if they land themselves a unicorn like Apple or the like. Either way, I see good things on the horizon.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
I admit I’m having trouble seeing the vision for HP. If it succeeds in bringing good tech jobs downtown then it will be good, but I’m kind of underwhelmed by those renderings. It looks like a pretty run of the mill office building. In fact, it looks kind of like something from a suburban office park plopped downtown.

This also opens up a discussion about if downtown needs a shopping district, which most major downtowns have. Without HP, there is really no major retail downtown (not sure if they are keeping the Macy’s). Meanwhile, UTC continues to explode with a lot of major retail/design stores being built. In fact I read that Design Within Reach which used to be downtown but closed many years ago is going to open in UTC.

I’m wondering if with the trolley extension the thought is that UTC is “the” design/high end retail center of SD so downtown doesn’t need any of this?
Unfortunately i heard the taller buildings are for phase 2 if the project is sucessful

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan View Post
I passed by the MPG today and by the looks of it they are getting ready for a second crane

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan View Post
I've been seen it several times this week, and yet for some reason it never hit me that we should all be screaming CRANE ALERT CRANE ALERT

This is really happening boys. The plans are done, the permits are signed, and the checks are deposited. Check out this pic someone in the navy building posted on reddit:

Source

Last edited by Will O' Wisp; Apr 12, 2019 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 4:05 AM

[Accidental double post]

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post

I see Fashion Valley more of the design/high end retail center... much more expensive brands are located there.. it’s been called the rodeo drive of San Diego... which is a bit silly in comparison but I get it

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:28 AM

Also regarding a shopping district in downtown, I think I read along with the California theatre development that the city was looking into making C street a revitalized commercial hub with new retail and stuff. With Horton plaza changing, you think some of the stores would look into opening up storefronts along the street?? C street maybe?? The fact that the trolley line runs through, and eventually under it, is a huge benefit.

As far as Manchester gateway. I really hope that it becomes a destination shopping hub as well.. from the renderings, it could be our version of Santa Monica’s 3rd street promenade.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:58 AM
Category Five

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
Also regarding a shopping district in downtown, I think I read along with the California theatre development that the city was looking into making C street a revitalized commercial hub with new retail and stuff. With Horton plaza changing, you think some of the stores would look into opening up storefronts along the street?? C street maybe?? The fact that the trolley line runs through, and eventually under it, is a huge benefit.

As far as Manchester gateway. I really hope that it becomes a destination shopping hub as well.. from the renderings, it could be our version of Santa Monica’s 3rd street promenade.
What retail would relocate from HP? There's basically nothing left...
I'm all for walkable, shopable neighborhoods, but it's going to have to happen organically. I say they let the HP transformation happen as planned & keep trying to lure warm bodies downtown. The shopping & amenities will follow.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
What retail would relocate from HP? There's basically nothing left...
I'm all for walkable, shopable neighborhoods, but it's going to have to happen organically. I say they let the HP transformation happen as planned & keep trying to lure warm bodies downtown. The shopping & amenities will follow.
GameStop was the only place I ever went to haha so that’s all I could think of

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 8:17 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
GameStop was the only place I ever went to haha so that’s all I could think of
And now you can buy digital version of games.

Though you can't sell them afterwards

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:05 PM

New 2 America Plaza Drawings

Looks like 2AP may not be a concrete slab much longer. This proposal just popped up CivicSD. IIRC the site was intended as a hotel of the same shape so they don't need to tear up the existing parking garage.

https://civicsd.com/wp-content/uploa...s_03.26.19.pdf

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aekrid View Post
Looks like 2AP may not be a concrete slab much longer. This proposal just popped up CivicSD. IIRC the site was intended as a hotel of the same shape so they don't need to tear up the existing parking garage.

https://civicsd.com/wp-content/uploa...s_03.26.19.pdf
Extremely disappointing. This midget is 3-4 stories shorter than the surrounding blocks and doesn't even meet the minimum FAR requirements. I really hope Civic SD comes back and says they need to make better use of this extremely valuable space.

Last edited by Will O' Wisp; Apr 12, 2019 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 12:42 AM
Category Five

Does anybody remember the old 2 America Plaza renders that had a tower that looked like OAP's brother?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations