HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10061  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:04 PM
Gat-Train Gat-Train is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
From that, Tunney's station looks terribly congested. With only one main entrance and exit, it is worse than Hurdman Station was in the old days. I will be waiting for the videos when in live operation.
Tunney's currently has two exits, why are they closing the other one?
     
     
  #10062  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:53 PM
roger1818's Avatar
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
From that, Tunney's station looks terribly congested. With only one main entrance and exit, it is worse than Hurdman Station was in the old days. I will be waiting for the videos when in live operation.
My hope is that they were stress testing the station to see how many buses the station can handle before becoming congested and what is shown is beyond normal operation. If so, that would be valuable information to have to know at what point alternate routes are needed (or Stage 2 West).
     
     
  #10063  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 4:05 PM
OTownandDown OTownandDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
From that, Tunney's station looks terribly congested. With only one main entrance and exit, it is worse than Hurdman Station was in the old days. I will be waiting for the videos when in live operation.
So you're telling me from this video that the main station for bus transfer is not directly adjacent to the station, but a short walk diagonally away from the station?

All it takes is one bus to stop at the wrong place, and the whole thing comes to a cascading halt. Again, I feel sorry for my kanata peeps.

Also, with regards to drainage and leakage:

Its not necessarily an issue, as long as the stations have enough drain pumps to handle incoming water. We can choose to live with it. Example: Stockholm T-Bana. Unfinished shotcrete. Leaks all over the place. Very creative solutions. I can't find a photo of the particular solution, but they have these trees composed of vertical drain lines, sculptural, and each line ends with a sheet metal pan tight to the ceiling, to catch the drips. Very amazing and beautiful solution!


https://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.co...s-longest-art-gallery-21.jpg?w=800&h=583
     
     
  #10064  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 4:24 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
My hope is that they were stress testing the station to see how many buses the station can handle before becoming congested and what is shown is beyond normal operation. If so, that would be valuable information to have to know at what point alternate routes are needed (or Stage 2 West).
That's the way it was described in the announcement on Jeff Leiper's website:
Quote:
This test will involve approximately 80 out of service buses and will help staff prepare and confirm operating plans for one of the busiest O-Train Line 1 transfer stations. Test buses will be circulating through Tunney’s Pasture Station and will be stopping at platforms, with staff observing bus dwell times and bus traffic flow under various simulated conditions. We successfully ran a similar test at Hurdman Station in October 2018, and we also be running a test later on at Blair Station, the third of the major transfer stations.
http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/updat...erational-testing-tunneys-pasture-feb-24
     
     
  #10065  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 4:34 PM
Kitchissippi's Avatar
Kitchissippi Kitchissippi is offline
Busy Beaver
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,698




Interesting that the stations without occupancy permits are all tunnel stations. Lyon already had thousands of people in it two years ago!
     
     
  #10066  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 8:00 PM
kmcamp kmcamp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post




Interesting that the stations without occupancy permits are all tunnel stations. Lyon already had thousands of people in it two years ago!
It has something to do with paperwork around the ventilation systems, which isn't a requirement for the above ground ones.
     
     
  #10067  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 12:16 AM
kmcamp kmcamp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,401
So I've been around stations lately when trains arrive and the voice says, after the train stops, "the next train is arriving, please stand back from the platform edge."

Shouldn't it say this like a minute before the trains arrive?
     
     
  #10068  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:40 PM
Richard Eade Richard Eade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nepean
Posts: 2,677
I don't think that the two events (timers/announcements and the train operations) are linked yet. They appeared to be running independently when I was watching. Since most of the train movements are likely testing and/or operator training, they are happening on an ad-hoc basis.
     
     
  #10069  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 5:25 PM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,098
Walked over the subway grille on the north side of World Exchange the other night. At night, with the high contrast between ambient outdoor dark and the illuminated interior of the shaft, you can easily see all the way to the bottom.

she deep.
__________________
___
Enjoy my taxes, Orleans (and Kanata?).
     
     
  #10070  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 5:34 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
^^^ that's neat. I've heard trains softly rumbling by underneath my feet on the vents between Lyon and Bay. It fills this metro train geek's heart with gladness.
     
     
  #10071  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 8:31 PM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Walked over the subway grille on the north side of World Exchange the other night. At night, with the high contrast between ambient outdoor dark and the illuminated interior of the shaft, you can easily see all the way to the bottom.

she deep.
Very cool. The downtown stations are quite deep, 60-80 feet depending on the station.
     
     
  #10072  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 5:18 AM
TheMatth69 TheMatth69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 158
Good day,
New to this forum. I've been following very closely the contruction of Stage 1 and I wan't to share with you guys some video spottings I did recently.
I'm planning on making more in the next weeks as we approach delivery day.
Here's the last one I did around (uOttawa) :

https://youtu.be/4UWL91F6Yz8

P.S: Have some more spotting on my channel :
https://youtu.be/4kljNsRDoc4
https://youtu.be/q03ZCE_PlL4
     
     
  #10073  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 4:05 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatth69 View Post
Good day,
New to this forum. I've been following very closely the contruction of Stage 1 and I wan't to share with you guys some video spottings I did recently.
I'm planning on making more in the next weeks as we approach delivery day.
Here's the last one I did around (uOttawa) :

https://youtu.be/4UWL91F6Yz8

P.S: Have some more spotting on my channel :
https://youtu.be/4kljNsRDoc4
https://youtu.be/q03ZCE_PlL4
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the board.
     
     
  #10074  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 5:22 PM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is online now
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatth69 View Post
Good day,
New to this forum. I've been following very closely the contruction of Stage 1 and I wan't to share with you guys some video spottings I did recently.
I'm planning on making more in the next weeks as we approach delivery day.
Here's the last one I did around (uOttawa) :

https://youtu.be/4UWL91F6Yz8

P.S: Have some more spotting on my channel :
https://youtu.be/4kljNsRDoc4
https://youtu.be/q03ZCE_PlL4
Welcome to the forum!
     
     
  #10075  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 6:41 PM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatth69 View Post
Good day,
New to this forum. I've been following very closely the contruction of Stage 1 and I wan't to share with you guys some video spottings I did recently.
I'm planning on making more in the next weeks as we approach delivery day.
Here's the last one I did around (uOttawa) :

https://youtu.be/4UWL91F6Yz8

P.S: Have some more spotting on my channel :
https://youtu.be/4kljNsRDoc4
https://youtu.be/q03ZCE_PlL4
Thanks. These trains are so quiet! Will be so much better to have this running along the parkway than the buses.
     
     
  #10076  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 7:01 PM
PHrenetic PHrenetic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Thanks. These trains are so quiet! Will be so much better to have this running along the parkway than the buses.
Good Day.

And in the Scott St. trench.

yep - big time. I can honestly compare the buses in the Scott St. trench .vs. the Bombardier DMUs in the trench north of Dow's Lake,
and the DMU's were quieter than the buses. The Lints are quieter than the Bombardiers, and the Spirits are quieter than the Lints.
As I suspected, and expected, and hoped. IE: all the nimbys who were screaming about the noise of trains.... can go stuff themselves.

And the same goes for the diesel fumes. The buses are - BAD.
The DMUs are not so bad, but they run far less frequently in comparison. The air has a chance to clear.
The Spirits will be a joy!

This part will indeed be an..... ENJOY!

and to TheMatth69 - indeed welcome !
     
     
  #10077  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 7:59 PM
bikegypsy's Avatar
bikegypsy bikegypsy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatth69 View Post
Good day,
New to this forum. I've been following very closely the contruction of Stage 1 and I wan't to share with you guys some video spottings I did recently.
I'm planning on making more in the next weeks as we approach delivery day.
Here's the last one I did around (uOttawa) :

https://youtu.be/4UWL91F6Yz8

P.S: Have some more spotting on my channel :
https://youtu.be/4kljNsRDoc4
https://youtu.be/q03ZCE_PlL4
I love these.. Great shooting and a big thank you for doing this. Welcome to the forum!
     
     
  #10078  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 1:03 PM
Kitchissippi's Avatar
Kitchissippi Kitchissippi is offline
Busy Beaver
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Thanks. These trains are so quiet! Will be so much better to have this running along the parkway than the buses.
Let's revisit this thread, shall we? LOL.

The Citadis Spirit trains do have a nice swishing sound to them and none of the clacking or shrill squealing of metal on metal that you hear a lot in Toronto's subway and streetcars. Could be something with the new design of the bogies? The way they pull into a station relatively fast and stop so smoothly with controlled automation is also very impressive compared to the lumbering Talents and LINTs.

With all the testing so far, I was expecting the rails to start to get shiny but they still seem surprisingly rusty-brown.
     
     
  #10079  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 9:58 PM
TheMatth69 TheMatth69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
With all the testing so far, I was expecting the rails to start to get shiny but they still seem surprisingly rusty-brown.
Well I can tell you one thing, around uOttawa & Lees where I usually spot trains, the rails are now very shiny!
     
     
  #10080  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 10:17 PM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 29,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Let's revisit this thread, shall we? LOL.
People on that thread are clueless. I live right behind Cyrville. These trains are substantially quieter than all the buses I had to hear pulling into the station. I was routinely woken up by buses revving up as they pull out of the station or pass through. With the trains I really have to make a concerted effort and stand right by the window to hear anything.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Apr 8, 2019 at 12:34 PM. Reason: A word....
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:38 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.