HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 6:05 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
I was about to say not everything is slow, look how fast Tower 8 is getting off the ground. But then I realized Tower 8 was originally proposed 12 years ago.

Can't believe Paperbox is finally moving forward.

Speaking of, Lowe today just submitted a CBSDR application for Sugar Alley. I'm interested to see what they've come up with.

Also, I wouldn't say Sugar House nearly built out. Woodbury still plans to demolish the entire Sugar House shopping center and redevelop it. But not until after a reprieve. Once that is done, I think the Commons at Sugar House (large shopping area between 2100 South and Wilmington) will be the next victim to make way for development, though maybe not for at least a decade.

What I really want to see is the Extended Stay America and adjacent parking lot redeveloped. And I'd love to see a few bars/restaurants that would have outdoor seating fronting Parley's Creek. That big ugly hotel has always seemed like a waste there.
...and it still isn't off the ground.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 6:43 PM

Good to see Paperbox moving forward. That's another major project along with Tower 8 and Exchange that we will soon be able to follow

I think proposed projects often seem slowest for those that are paying attention to development. I know here in L.A. there are many projects downtown and downtown adj. that were 10 to 20 years in the making. For those who aren't development geeks like us it seems like it all just happened at the snap of a finger, because the economy is suddenly booming along. Many properties/projects here in L.A. that are finally just now getting off the ground have changed hands and designs several times over the past 10 to 20 years.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:27 PM

Went by tower 8 site this afternoon and construction fencing is completely around the site. There were also surveyors on the site this morning. Its getting close!!!!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:35 PM

With Tower 8 starting imminently, hopefully Liberty Sky will also be staring soon.

Regarding the Paperbox Project:

Salt Lake City’s newest project, the Paper Box Lofts, will include 195 apartments and an ‘automobile vending machine’

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/03/...-citys-newest/

Quote:
Developers began Tuesday to convert an old mid-block industrial site in downtown Salt Lake City into a project known as Paper Box Lofts, which will have three residential high rises, retail spaces, a visually striking open plaza and a unique automated parking system.

Officials with Utah-based ClearWater Homes and PEG Development broke ground on the 1.99-acre property at about 340 West 200 South, just south of the Utah Jazz’s Vivint Smart Home Arena. When done, the project will include 195 apartments.

Under an agreement with the city’s Redevelopment Agency, which has helped subsidize the project, developers will keep 36 apartments affordable to residents making 60 percent of the area median income.

Sixty percent of the area median income would be $31,700 in annual earnings for an individual, $36,200 for a household of two people and $40,700 for a household of three, according to data from Salt lake City.

With its affordable housing, new parking, green space and midblock pedestrian walkways, Mayor Jackie Biskupski said Paper Box Lofts “will benefit our whole community.”

The project is also expected to extend the city’s downtown core further westward and improve pedestrian access from the traditional downtown to The Gateway. Salt Lake City-based ClearWater and PEG, based in Provo, said the first residences of Paper Box Lofts are expected to be completed by spring of 2021.

Officials with ClearWater and PEG praised the help provided by city officials and the RDA in overcoming challenges with the property’s long, rectangular shape in designing what ClearWater CEO Micah Peters called “a multifamily project we haven’t seen in this city before.”

Downtown’s latest housing project draws its name from Utah PaperBox, a privately owned packaging company founded in 1914 that occupied the site until it relocated in 2013 to new headquarters at 920 South 700 West.

The PaperBox property, which is adjacent to a light-rail station, runs the east-west length of that block and has frontage on both 300 West and 400 West, giving it the equivalent of “two front yards,” according to city documents.

One of those, the development’s east frontage on 300 West, will feature an open plaza with prominently displayed public art, serving “as a type of ‘calling card’ or ‘stamp’ for the entire project by providing an engaging and colorful mural” painted on the side of its main parking structure, city documents say.

ClearWater and PEG have contracted with VCBO Architecture in Salt Lake City for design of the PaperBox project. Rimrock Construction is the builder.

The project is a leap forward for the Depot District, a westside area spanning Salt Lake Central Station and land west of The Gateway and designated by the city as blighted and in need of redevelopment.

ClearWater and PEG say the Paper Box Lofts’ first building, on 300 West, will have 95 residential units, and the second, on 400 West, will have 85 units. The third, smaller structure will have four residences.

Nearly half those will be one bedrooms, with the rest studio and two-bedroom apartments. Up to 14 units in the larger buildings will provide both working and living space, known as live-work or flex apartments.

Paper Box Lofts will also boast roughly 146 parking stalls, with about 96 of stalls those built into a large, multi-level parking structure designed to automatically stack and retrieve cars dropped off by their drivers.

Peters likened the system to “an automobile vending machine” that will essentially stack cars seven levels high. This is thought to be the first time such an automated parking system, made by an Oakland company called CityLift, has been deployed in Salt Lake City.

Councilwoman Amy Folwer, who is also chair of the RDA board, called the new system “incredibly exciting” and said it could help the city meet a range of parking needs downtown.

ClearWater Homes has built several recent projects in the downtown area near the PaperBox site, including Broadway Lofts, just north of Pioneer Park, and Paragon Station, a 38-unit luxury condominium project just south of the Utah PaperBox site.

PEG Development is owner and developer of two new hotels, Hyatt House and Marriott Courtyard, north of the PaperBox parcel, as well as the Milagro Apartments, at the southwest corner of 200 West and 200 South.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
With Tower 8 starting imminently, hopefully Liberty Sky will also be staring soon.

Regarding the Paperbox Project:

Salt Lake City’s newest project, the Paper Box Lofts, will include 195 apartments and an ‘automobile vending machine’

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/03/...-citys-newest/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
What I really want to see is the Extended Stay America and adjacent parking lot redeveloped. And I'd love to see a few bars/restaurants that would have outdoor seating fronting Parley's Creek. That big ugly hotel has always seemed like a waste there.
As long as we’re talking about wasted Sugarhouse space, the Dreyer’s ice cream facility (next to Sugarhouse BBQ) is so misplaced and such a waste of space in this neighborhood. I’d love to see that go (and the abandoned car wash across the street) more than anything else in the area.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 1:34 PM

^^^

Is the Paperbox rendering that we keep seeing (the one Old&New posted above) looking south from Vivint, or is it a different angle? I'm having a hard time putting it into the downtown streetscape.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 1:47 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
^^^

Is the Paperbox rendering that we keep seeing (the one Old&New posted above) looking south from Vivint, or is it a different angle? I'm having a hard time putting it into the downtown streetscape.
It's sandwiched between paragon Lofts and Hyatt House. So this pic is from 300 W looking west with your back towards Block 67. The front aspect of Paragon Lofts to the left of the building is a dead giveaway.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 1:52 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
^^^

The rendering above is looking from 300 West toward the west between 100 and 200 South. You can see paragon lofts (on the nw corner of 300 west and 200 south) in the left of the rendering.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
12 years is very specific. Also, so far out that I would consider it canceled and dead.
Lease agreements

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:48 PM

Here's a reminder of the West facade as seen from 400 West. Great project! Excellent infill, and can't wait to see it take up so much of that wasted space.

https://i1.wp.com/www.buildingsaltla...plan.png?ssl=1

https://i2.wp.com/www.buildingsaltlake.com The project was designed by VCBO Architecture. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public document

Interior Perspectives

Rendering of the interior courtyard in the proposed PaperBox Lofts. The project was designed by VCBO Architecture. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public document

Rendering of the interior courtyard in the proposed PaperBox Lofts. The project was designed by VCBO Architecture. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents

Rendering the PaperBox Lofts as would be seen looking east from 300 West. The project was designed by VCBO Architecture. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Rendering the PaperBox Lofts as would be seen looking east from 300 West. The project was designed by VCBO Architecture. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 27, 2019 at 3:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:53 PM

thanks guys!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
Lease agreements
Ah, I see. A company is willing to sign a lease agreement that far out?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see. A company is willing to sign a lease agreement that far out?
It is probably the Post Office as they like to sign 20+ year leases in buildings they don't own.

If the economy stays good in the 5 years out they were thinking for Phase 2, I wonder if there is an option available for the Ritchie Group to buy out what is left on the lease.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakidave View Post
As long as we’re talking about wasted Sugarhouse space, the Dreyer’s ice cream facility (next to Sugarhouse BBQ) is so misplaced and such a waste of space in this neighborhood. I’d love to see that go (and the abandoned car wash across the street) more than anything else in the area.
The car wash was torn down a while ago. I assume you just mean you want to see that land developed? I think it's only a matter of time - an empty piece of property in the heart of Sugarhouse has got to be a prime piece of real estate.

As for the Dreyer factory, I agree there's a better location for it...as long as any new development keeps the old Snelgrove cone.

Speaking of wasted space in Sugarhouse...I hate the fact that one of the corners of 1100 East and 2100 South is just a Wells Fargo and...some insurance companies I think? That old building doesn't necessarily need to be torn down, but redevelopment of the building with more street engagement and some actual retail would do a lot for that corner. Wells Fargo could even stay in the building.

Last edited by bob rulz; Mar 27, 2019 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
It is probably the Post Office as they like to sign 20+ year leases in buildings they don't own.

If the economy stays good in the 5 years out they were thinking for Phase 2, I wonder if there is an option available for the Ritchie Group to buy out what is left on the lease.
I was being dense. I thought he was taking about the future tentants of the office building and that they signed a lease to occupy in 12 years. Is it possible that they signed a longer term lease, but with an option to terminate early? Maybe the Post Office wanted long term or at least money to cover moving expenses in case they end the lease in say 6 years. One can hope.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Is it possible that they signed a longer term lease, but with an option to terminate early? Maybe the Post Office wanted long term or at least money to cover moving expenses in case they end the lease in say 6 years. One can hope.
This is my hope as well.

Hopefully the Post Office is able to move to another downtown location, maybe within the Greek Orthodox project or even Tower 8. There is ample parking available for the mail vehicles in the above grade social hall parking garages.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 3:30 PM

Pipe Dream for Olympic Legacy Park

Pipe dream that will likely never happen.

I wish the LDS Church would convert the entire block of surface parking between S. Temple and N. Temple and 3rd West and 2nd West to a SLC 2002 Olympic Legacy Park (and possible 2030 Olympics) with the following elements:

Olympic Torch
Holberman Arch
Other Olympic legacy items and information (maybe even indoor visitor center)
Running path along the outer border of the block
Pond or water fountain/feature
Other public Art
Lots of grass, trees, paths, benches to hang out.
Open space on the Eastern end to hold Twilight concert series and other public events (such as when the Jazz win the NBA Finals, or other events related to Vivint events)
The Skyline and Temple views are a perfect backdrop for concerts (think Olympic medal's plaza views, which are even better now with our improved skyline)
Could also be used for Salt Palace Convention events.
Leaving this block as green space preserves temple and skyline corridor views.
Would be a huge amenity for downtown.
Could spur additional development along south temple (Fidelity building?), and help drive foot traffic to Gateway area.
The could also add the half block to the east which is also surface parking.
Helps brand SLC as Olympic city.

We don't really have an urban park. Liberty Park feels like the suburbs to me. Pioneer Park has no charm or view, and other issues.

It's a pipe dream but I think it would make downtown a lot cooler.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Went by tower 8 site this afternoon and construction fencing is completely around the site. There were also surveyors on the site this morning. Its getting close!!!!
Port-O-Potties being distributed on the Tower 8 site this morning. It's the little things!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Pipe dream that will likely never happen.

I wish the LDS Church would convert the entire block of surface parking between S. Temple and N. Temple and 3rd West and 2nd West to a SLC 2002 Olympic Legacy Park (and possible 2030 Olympics) with the following elements:

Olympic Torch
Holberman Arch
Other Olympic legacy items and information (maybe even indoor visitor center)
Running path along the outer border of the block
Pond or water fountain/feature
Other public Art
Lots of grass, trees, paths, benches to hang out.
Open space on the Eastern end to hold Twilight concert series and other public events (such as when the Jazz win the NBA Finals, or other events related to Vivint events)
The Skyline and Temple views are a perfect backdrop for concerts (think Olympic medal's plaza views, which are even better now with our improved skyline)
Could also be used for Salt Palace Convention events.
Leaving this block as green space preserves temple and skyline corridor views.
Would be a huge amenity for downtown.
Could spur additional development along south temple (Fidelity building?), and help drive foot traffic to Gateway area.
The could also add the half block to the east which is also surface parking.
Helps brand SLC as Olympic city.

We don't really have an urban park. Liberty Park feels like the suburbs to me. Pioneer Park has no charm or view, and other issues.

It's a pipe dream but I think it would make downtown a lot cooler.
I like it. Maybe they could do 1 level of below-grade parking to replace the current parking there for events. But, a big park space would be cool. I've seen some concept designs that the church had to expand its campus, and it was mostly low-rise structures at the perimeter and a garden/park like ambiance centered on the east-west center axis of the block to allow for a view corridor to the temple.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West