HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5781  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:27 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I love days like these when I log on and see a ton of threads have been updates. Austin is HOT!
Amen to that, but I can see two threads that I killed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5782  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 2:57 AM
zrx299 zrx299 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Amen to that, but I can see two threads that I killed
well, your avatar is kind of vertigo inducing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5783  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 4:07 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,835
Unless WeWork is going into the storage business, I don't think they have much to worry about from Nate Paul. He's shown himself to be all talk when it comes to anything other than storage.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5784  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 2:42 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
It appears the biz journal gets all their stories from Austin Towers and ATX Real Estate. ATX Real Estate had a blog post on this earlier:

https://atxrealestatenews.com/2019/02/20...legend-jamaal-charles-into-the-gameplan/

The blog entry has been updated since this morning, and they removed the following part (from a copy of the original blog post):



A friend of mine jokingly referred to this as Fyre Coworking with Nate as Billy McFarland and Jamaal Charles as Ja Rule.
This really is the crux of the issue, of course. If he decided to take on WeWork head to head -- and was forced to build out his vacant property to do it -- I'd be cool with it (despite my belief that the coworking boom is already overbuilt). But it looks like he's just rebranding his original business, and targeting "shorter term" leases and opportunities (whatever that means). That's a lose-lose for everyone, IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5785  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 4:02 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Unless WeWork is going into the storage business, I don't think they have much to worry about from Nate Paul. He's shown himself to be all talk when it comes to anything other than storage.
Wework filed a 5 year extension on the plan.

They may actually be Nate's competition.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5786  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:58 PM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,510
I think Nate Paul's business model is to hold prime real estate for speculative purposes. His vast wealth resides mostly in the value of the land he holds, and supposedly he has become immensely rich in the process. Seems like creating flexible office spaces in otherwise semi-derelict buildings is similar in many ways to operating storage warehouses. He creates a revenue stream and various accounting/tax opportunities with a minimal outlay of cash. I don't think he has any real interest at present in becoming a major developer of his many holdings. Maybe one day he'll take the plunge, but his present method of doing business seems to be working very well for him.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5787  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 3:41 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
I think he is the worst kind of "developer". He took out some fun nightspots which now sit empty not contributing to anything. I mean look how long some of these lots or buildings have been sitting with those stupid WCC banners. The only building that he seemed to improve and bring in some decent entertainment options is what was the old Spaggetti Warehouse.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5788  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 9:46 PM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX / Portland,OR / Chicago, IL
Posts: 14,717
A page to keep an eye on for 9th and Nueces:

http://www.availdevelopment.com/9th-nueces
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5789  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 9:59 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
A page to keep an eye on for 9th and Nueces:

http://www.availdevelopment.com/9th-nueces
That is probably this long standing 9th & Nueces vision designed by Rhode Partners. It could go taller than the rendering with a density bonus.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5790  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 6:00 PM
AustinGoesVertical AustinGoesVertical is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 554
Have some news. The School of Deaf on South Congress was just sold to a developer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5791  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 6:09 PM
deerhoof deerhoof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Have some news. The School of Deaf on South Congress was just sold to a developer.
Wow, that must have been expensive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5792  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 7:00 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
Boy howdy. That's a huge move.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5793  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 7:08 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Have some news. The School of Deaf on South Congress was just sold to a developer.
Hmm. I wonder what that will mean for the future of the school. Are we talking total redevelopment or only partial? I would assume if they bought it they're probably planning the former.

Few people realize, but the Texas School for the Deaf is one of the few ones in the country, and it's one of the best. It's also one of the top 20 oldest is in the country, founded in 1856. My brother's neighbors are all deaf. They moved here from out of state just so their kids could attend.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5794  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 7:13 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Hmm. I wonder what that will mean for the future of the school. Are we talking total redevelopment or only partial? I would assume if they bought it they're probably planning the former.

Few people realize, but the Texas School for the Deaf is one of the few ones in the country, and it's one of the best. It's also one of the top 20 oldest is in the country, founded in 1856. My brother's neighbors are all deaf. They moved here from out of state just so their kids could attend.
I did immediately wonder what that meant both for the school and for the historic campus. Which, I guess, I'm just assuming is historic.

There've got to be a lot of limitations to what can be developed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5795  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 7:46 PM
paul78701 paul78701 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I did immediately wonder what that meant both for the school and for the historic campus. Which, I guess, I'm just assuming is historic.

There've got to be a lot of limitations to what can be developed.
One would imagine that the sale price was plenty high enough to allow them to rebuild the school elsewhere in the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5796  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 8:08 PM
AusTxDevelopment AusTxDevelopment is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Have some news. The School of Deaf on South Congress was just sold to a developer.
Must be really recent or not yet closed. The sale is not showing up in either the TCAD or Travis Co. Deed files yet. The Travis Deed site is current through 3/7/19.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5797  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 8:34 PM
AustinGoesVertical AustinGoesVertical is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Must be really recent or not yet closed. The sale is not showing up in either the TCAD or Travis Co. Deed files yet. The Travis Deed site is current through 3/7/19.
This is what I’ve heard through the grapevine, so it could be it hasn’t officially closed yet. But I was told a developer was buying it. I thought they meant it was done but maybe they meant “in the process” of buying it. I’m not comfortable saying what broker company it is, but it comes from a reliable place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5798  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 8:41 PM
Dream Sequence Dream Sequence is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 19
Doesn't the state own the land? I would imagine they'd have to go via a public RFP or something to sell it vs behind the scenes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5799  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 8:56 PM
chinchaaa chinchaaa is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Have some news. The School of Deaf on South Congress was just sold to a developer.
Not a fan of this news.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5800  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 9:33 PM
AustinGoesVertical AustinGoesVertical is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Hmm. I wonder what that will mean for the future of the school. Are we talking total redevelopment or only partial? I would assume if they bought it they're probably planning the former.

Few people realize, but the Texas School for the Deaf is one of the few ones in the country, and it's one of the best. It's also one of the top 20 oldest is in the country, founded in 1856. My brother's neighbors are all deaf. They moved here from out of state just so their kids could attend.
Take it FWIW, but apparently part of the deal includes a contingency for a new state of the art facility to be built somewhere else and development on this specific site would be within 5 years, not necessarily immediate. I don’t know any other details.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.