HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 4:50 AM
NYC2ATX's Avatar
NYC2ATX NYC2ATX is offline
Everywhere all at once
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SI NYC
Posts: 2,460
When I lived in Austin, the Domain was always one of my favorite places to visit. I'd be lying if I said I didn't go up every so often just to peek in on the construction. I always found it amazing that they could just build a new neighborhood that almost looked like a real neighborhood. When I moved away they had just opened the first part of Rock Rose but the northern half was still cordoned off, and wrapping up construction.

However, even then, I remember the lack of traffic lights was the first thing that struck me as it began to get more crowded, as newly completed phases had continued to open. Encountering the four-way stops was nerve-wracking even as a driver. I can only imagine what it's like now.

At the same time though, I am so rooting for the Domain because, planning gaps aside, it has been a runaway success so far in terms of return on investment, and it's going to remake the area in its image by proximity. It's interesting to think that once Broadmoor, other neighboring developments, possible changes at the Pickle Campus down the line, this will then be the oldest part of this neighborhood.

If they can learn from mistakes made early on and retrofit the core away from car dependence in the future, and pending the implementation of more mass transit options, it may work in the end. The internal roads are intended to suit pedestrians, so for example, creating a pleasant experience for the entirety of the walk from the Metrorail or nearby bus routes (the "first/last mile"), will incentivize people to walk and use transit.

It only works if people actually leave their cars sometimes!
__________________
BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:11 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.