HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 2:34 PM
davidcappi's Avatar
davidcappi davidcappi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,991
I used to think that too, but then I started working in Toronto because of the lack of jobs in Hamilton and I learned there’s almost zero chance of the creative/media industries ever becoming a large job base in Hamilton. I’ve said it before, but it’s more than just moving an office. Where are your vendors, suppliers and clients? Chances are if you’re in a creative field, it’s probably Toronto. That’s not to discredit the creative businesses in Hamilton, but let’s not pretend anyone is hiring in large numbers, paying salary for creative roles (not programmer or software related) including benefits. I saw that The Feed Social was hiring someone to start at 35k as a marketing coordinator or something which is so laughably below industry average wages it’s not even funny. I’m not even sure our jr studio artists at work start that low. Working in Hamilton isn’t enough of a privilege to accept getting such crappy compensation.

Nobody ever seems to believe me but the reality is that if you’re not prepared to hustle all the time trying to find freelance work (which is hard in Hamilton because everyone is relative cheap and you’ll get lowballed really often) you’re going to end up having to make career compromises.

Sometimes it’s nice to have a full time job that you go so 9-5 every day that will pay you what you’re worth without having to compromise on the kind of work or clients you get to work with. My job couldn’t possibly exist in its current form in Hamilton. When you don’t own a home already or have a partner picking up slack while you’re on the train, that commute becomes a drag. No indication GO service will improve in any meaningful amount of time. I guess until all of these predictions come true a lot of people are going to realize they need presto passes and alarm clocks because the train to Toronto is leaving soon.

Last edited by davidcappi; Feb 27, 2019 at 7:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:17 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.