Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:27 PM
|
 |
Registered User
|
|
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
|
|
Comparing Austin's skyline to others, for me, is somewhat complicated. After an hour of googling my way around the subject, there are many variables; population, number of buildings over certain feet, total floor count, design, density, surrounding area, ect...
It comes down to "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" for me, as well as expectation.
In one list, I saw Nashville as the 12th most beautiful skyline in the US, a list Austin wasn't even an honorable mention. I dislike Nashville's skyline.
I like San Antonio so much, I don't feel it needs a better skyline yet for a city of that size you'd expect more from it. I have to wonder how our skyline would look if Austin didn't harbor the State Capitol Building. No capitol view coridors, no set backs and stunted buildings. The city leaders back in the 70s and 80s wanted to keep the Capitol Building the dominant structure downtown. Not saying this was a bad thing, just saying it affected the shape of the skyline and continues to do so. Density is another player in public opinion about skylines where sometimes overall height of the buildings takes a back seat to downtowns that pack in more but shorter buildings within the downtown borders. Our cvc affects our density. One more factor that complicates comparisons to other cities, having been here for 30 +years, its like watching your kids grow. When friends or family you haven't seen for years come by, they always notice how much they have grown and changed, but for me the growth and change is so gradual its not nearly as dramatic. The shopped images by h2h, though amazing, are not of a current reality, so I can't compare based on those pictures. If I could, then I would have to put Austin much higher on my personnal list. As of now, I tend to agree with what has already been said. One last thing. A make it or break it for my favorite skylines is whether or not it has a signature tower or two. What defines a signature tower is always debatable, but the best ones seem to be all office and no habitational towers. I'm still waiting although the Republic and 6X could be the answer for me. My highest marks for Austin would be that it has to be in the top 3 most improved skylines. Then that even opens the debate of over the period of time its taken us to get where we are now and how far into the future vs other cities with fast changing skylines. Ok, maybe I am over thinking this...
|