I've always found it peculiar that there are two Sobeys so close together (Champlain & Regis Street) and have had fun in the past speculating on potential fantasy expansions to the west end of the mall including the Sobeys space.
In the past, I have assumed that the mall based store might close if a new store was built on Dieppe Blvd. I still believe this is the only circumstance that would provoke a closure of the mall store.
At present, any rumours regarding a closure of the mall based Sobeys are just pure conjecture. I have no evidence that this will happen. The CF Champlain store in fact is the closest we have in Moncton to the "Sobeys Extra" format, which is present in Halifax, Saint John and Fredericton. In other words I don't think any closure is imminent in any shape or form.
The mall retail sector is pretty weak nationwide. The very topmost malls are performing well (like Yorkdale and Eaton Centre), but the only mall in the Maritimes which fits in this lofty company is perhaps HSC in Halifax, and even it seems to have permanent vacancies, and has yet to solve the problem of it's empty Sears store. At least CF Champlain was able to fill it's Sears space with the TD Corporate Banking Centre.
So, if Sobeys were ever to leave the mall, it might create a vacancy very difficult to fill. The remaining department stores in the country like Bay and Simons would likely not be interested. Other larger retailers like Forever 21 are not expanding as aggressively as before and even stalwarts like H&M are scaling back.
CF Champlain continues to do well, but it remains only an upper level 2nd tier type shopping centre, not quite in the big leagues, and would struggle to find a replacement for Sobeys. We should all hope that the status quo is maintained.......