HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9221  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:38 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,811
Fun little tidbit. Post Confederation Line. Bus trips are 15 minutes between Rideau Centre to Hurdman Station when the train is down. Pre- Confederation construction, that trip was 5 minutes at most. The reason is that you have meander your way out of downtown to hit every stop. Forget about even a semi-direct route.
     
     
  #9222  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:46 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
I tried Tunney's to Blair current vs. future. Status quo takes 26 mins vs. 25 mins with Line 1. Considering Line 1 will have more stops, that's pretty good.

Anyone remember how much time it took when the Transitway was open?
     
     
  #9223  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:54 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
Some observations from playing around with the planner:

If you're headed eastbound from Bayview it will tell you to board a westbound train and then stay on that train since it will be doing a return trip immediately afterwards.
This might suggest that only one of the platforms at Tunney's will be used initially (and tbh that makes perfect sense).
That makes. Train arrives at Tunney's, sticks around for 2 mins then leaves. Next arrives 2 mins later. Having only one platform in use would make it much easier for passengers as they wouldn't have to guess where the next train will leave from. That also explains why the public washrooms are on the north platform. On the other hand, now we have one platform that will be disused for 5+ years. How will it work for Blair? Will they just use one track?
     
     
  #9224  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:56 PM
bartlebooth bartlebooth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'd save one minute in the morning and evening would stay the same. Remember though, that's on paper. Buses are subject to heavy delays downtown due to weather, protests and others. That's not taken into consideration by the Travel Planner. Trains will be nearly 100% consistent.
I think I am most looking forward to a simpler commute. I often miss my morning or afternoon bus because of the long line that approaches the station at the same time. If I don't see the bus or can't run past three articulated buses to get to the end of the platform once I realize my bus has arrived (which happened to me this morning), my commute time goes up significantly.

Even if the train only saves me 3-4 minutes overall from station to station, I will benefit over the long term given how much more simple my commute will become.
     
     
  #9225  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:58 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I tried Tunney's to Blair current vs. future. Status quo takes 26 mins vs. 25 mins with Line 1. Considering Line 1 will have more stops, that's pretty good.

Anyone remember how much time it took when the Transitway was open?
Sorry, but that is shocking. This is where the improvement should have been most noticeable.
     
     
  #9226  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:02 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,811
I tested my current commute at the normal end of my day. Travel time 56 minutes, most of which is waiting for buses, versus 8 to 10 minutes by car. I don't think I will be changing.
     
     
  #9227  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:22 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,798
Playing around with comparisons and I'm actually looking at the current posted schedules for the first time and WOW are they ever wildly optimistic. It says the 91 takes 23 minutes from St-Laurent to Westboro, I take that trip every day and that's BS, I've never been on a trip that short.. usually its around 30 minutes.

The LRT/bus trip from St-Laurent to Westboro is listed as 22 minutes (19 min train + 3 min bus) plus 3 mins for the transfer so on paper my trip is 2 min longer than today but in reality its about 5 minutes faster. Plus way higher frequency - 4 mins train and 3-6mins bus compared to 10-15 minutes for today's bus, so way less concern if I end up missing my trip. In fact, with this I really won't have to plan my trip at all anymore, I can just leave whenever and wait time will always be short.
     
     
  #9228  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:25 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,798
It appears Saturday schedules aren't posted. When you click Saturday it displays a weekday schedule. (5am-1am instead of 6am-2am).

The separate Friday schedule (consisting of later service and higher evening frequencies) is also not displayed.
     
     
  #9229  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:26 PM
Ottawaresident Ottawaresident is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Guess! Hint: It's in my username
Posts: 317
Yeah. Buses are very vulnerable to delay, shown greatly by the Westboro crash. Trains really should be more consistent.
     
     
  #9230  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:37 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,811
It is funny how the trip planner doesn't consider the start waiting time. I put in the current time and the start time was 25 minutes later. Effectively my real travel time was over one hour from the Rideau Centre to home. The only benefit I get from rail is they are adjusting my local bus schedule by 4 minutes, which can be two edge sword. It also only gives you 1 minute to get to the Rideau station platform. Is it going to be that fast to get down there?
     
     
  #9231  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:38 PM
H>T&T>P H>T&T>P is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I tried Tunney's to Blair current vs. future. Status quo takes 26 mins vs. 25 mins with Line 1. Considering Line 1 will have more stops, that's pretty good.

Anyone remember how much time it took when the Transitway was open?
Tunney's to Mackenzie King and vice versa regularly takes 20 mins right now!
I don't think another 6 minutes would get me to Hurdman let alone Blair.
     
     
  #9232  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:50 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,798
The 95 was scheduled to take 28 minutes from Blair to Tunney's in 2014. I remember checking it then.
     
     
  #9233  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:52 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by H>T&T>P View Post
Tunney's to Mackenzie King and vice versa regularly takes 20 mins right now!
I don't think another 6 minutes would get me to Hurdman let alone Blair.
Yeah. No way is 26min accurate. Again it takes me 30 from St-Laurent to Westboro...
     
     
  #9234  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:53 PM
kmcamp kmcamp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I tried Tunney's to Blair current vs. future. Status quo takes 26 mins vs. 25 mins with Line 1. Considering Line 1 will have more stops, that's pretty good.

Anyone remember how much time it took when the Transitway was open?
You must not have done that in rush hour, right now it can take me 20 minutes just from World Exchange to Hurdman in the evening trip home. That's why i'm so impatient for the train, it's during rush hour that the detour is especially hellish. Usually escaping downtown itself takes at least 50% of my travel time.
     
     
  #9235  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:09 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
You must not have done that in rush hour, right now it can take me 20 minutes just from World Exchange to Hurdman in the evening trip home. That's why i'm so impatient for the train, it's during rush hour that the detour is especially hellish. Usually escaping downtown itself takes at least 50% of my travel time.
I totally agree with your comment. I once took 30 minutes (reverse peak) to get from Hurdman to the Rideau Centre. It is especially bad when you get stuck on Route 98 that runs through the University. This should be better with rail, and more reliable compared to pre-construction. I used to be able to depend on a 20 minute trip between the Rideau Centre and Greenboro pre-construction. This will not improve with rail because of the transfer.
     
     
  #9236  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:18 PM
TransitZilla TransitZilla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
The 95 was scheduled to take 28 minutes from Blair to Tunney's in 2014. I remember checking it then.
And how often did it actually do it in that time? Almost definitely never, at least at rush hour.
     
     
  #9237  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:34 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
You must not have done that in rush hour, right now it can take me 20 minutes just from World Exchange to Hurdman in the evening trip home. That's why i'm so impatient for the train, it's during rush hour that the detour is especially hellish. Usually escaping downtown itself takes at least 50% of my travel time.
I chose a random hour assuming the travel time would be the same on paper. Turns out it is for the train (as expected), but not for the bus. Tried it again just now. At rush hour, the estimated travel time for the bus is 32 minutes Tunney's to Blair.
     
     
  #9238  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:52 PM
TransitZilla TransitZilla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Route 6 service cut on weekends to every half hour in many hours south of Billings. Confederation Line not running to 2 am as promised on Saturday nights.
Are you sure about that? I checked Saturday and the frequency seems to be the same as today- every 20 minutes in the morning and every 15 minutes int the afternoon.
     
     
  #9239  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:54 PM
TransitZilla TransitZilla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I chose a random hour assuming the travel time would be the same on paper. Turns out it is for the train (as expected), but not for the bus. Tried it again just now. At rush hour, the estimated travel time for the bus is 32 minutes Tunney's to Blair.
And that's for a 91, meaning no service to uOttawa, Lees, Hurdman, Tremblay or St Laurent.
     
     
  #9240  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:14 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
And that's for a 91, meaning no service to uOttawa, Lees, Hurdman, Tremblay or St Laurent.
Precisely.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:17 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.