HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
All things considered, those townhomes are still fairly high density and a big improvement over what's there currently. Having more homeowners in the city can never really be a bad thing IMO. Adding supply will keep homes in Philly relatively affordable in the long run compared to other cities like NYC, Boston, and DC, which have major supply issues for single-family homes. High homeownership is one of the things that's great about Philly. Streamline has been working on developing the parcel across the street with the Edward corner building, so there will hopefully be some additional multifamily density here in the near future as well.
What makes you think these will be owner occupied?

It looks like yet another US Home chock-o-block to me.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 4:28 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfmcshan View Post

Another lowrise proposal on Delaware Ave between Sugarhouse and Penn Treaty Park - 60 townhomes. Not sure why they do not pursue high density here.

Link to Full PDF
These don't look very different from the townhomes going up by Penn Treaty Park ...

I'm kind of starting to wonder about the economics of projects like these. Has it occurred to any of you that once that Penns Landing cap gets done the block of townhomes between 101 Walnut and the Ritz garage (as well as the garage itself) will be sitting on a parcel that would naturally justify a midrise?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
These don't look very different from the townhomes going up by Penn Treaty Park ...

I'm kind of starting to wonder about the economics of projects like these. Has it occurred to any of you that once that Penns Landing cap gets done the block of townhomes between 101 Walnut and the Ritz garage (as well as the garage itself) will be sitting on a parcel that would naturally justify a midrise?
Why a midrise? That Ritz garage is perfectly situated for a luxury highrise with underground parking. It’s going to become one of the more valuable parcels of land in the city once that park is finished. (And as East Market continues to fill in). Maybe a condo and hotel. Something significant is going to have to go there eventually at any rate. Pretty sure it is North of those Society Hill jackasses as well, which should make things easier.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:44 PM

Here’s what a Broad Street Line extension to the Navy Yard could look like
http://www.philly.com/transportation...-20190201.html

There was not much more information provided, but a few things to note...

I know they needed to include parking down there, but you can thank the ocean of parking lots that aren't helping things.
Quote:
A 2014 survey found that 44 percent of the workers at the Navy Yard drive to their jobs, and at the open house some said a better public transit option would be welcome.

A train “might make it marginally better,” said Matthew Eayre, who drives to his job with the GBS Group in the Navy Yard from his Bucks County home. “As long as the parking is free down here, it’s going to be hard to compete.”
Quote:
Ridership projections for the subway extension, which SEPTA did not have available Thursday, aren’t high enough to meet the standards for federal funding. Grants take into consideration whether there is a residential development near a project, and the Navy Yard has none.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:58 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Here’s what a Broad Street Line extension to the Navy Yard could look like
http://www.philly.com/transportation...-20190201.html

There was not much more information provided, but a few things to note...

I know they needed to include parking down there, but you can thank the ocean of parking lots that aren't helping things.
I think you meant to post this is the transportation thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 8:47 PM

Excited to hear the KOP rail extension seems to be moving forward. I'd like to see them reconstruct the trolly line out to West Chester as well, but I'm not sure how practical that would be and if there is any real demand for it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicPhilly View Post
Excited to hear the KOP rail extension seems to be moving forward. I'd like to see them reconstruct the trolly line out to West Chester as well, but I'm not sure how practical that would be and if there is any real demand for it.
Fret not, my guy, as SEPTA is set to reopen the line to Wawa, PA by late next year. The WCRR has also offered to connect Wawa to West Chester in the meantime.
Again, though, this discussion is better suited for the transportation thread linked above. Why it hasn't been tagged yet is beyond me.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 10:10 PM

Pod Hotel

This rendering makes it look halfway decent:
https://www.intechconstruction.com/p...d-philly-hotel

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 10:12 PM

Community College of Philadelphia

Finally some new buildings for CCP? This would look great! Hope it happens.

https://www.wrtdesign.com/work/commu...f-philadelphia

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 4:18 PM

10th and Girard

Replacing the tennis courts. Looks interesting.

http://www.sgra.com/work/girard-avenue

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 7:35 PM

On vacation Summers?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
On vacation Summers?
Off these past two days with nothing to do lol.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 7:56 PM

12th and Sansom garage replacement

I like it, but disappointing it's not topped with residential on top. Still, MUCH better than what's there.

https://www.metrocommercial.com/land...s/12th-sansom/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 9:42 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Off these past two days with nothing to do lol.
Thanks for all the goodies. Would you have time to update the Highrise front page?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 11:20 PM

The building where the Rainbow was on the 1200 block of Chestnut has a demo permit up. Also nearly all the stores at the garage at 6th and Market have vacated. I'd expect some nice upgrades in tenants in both spots and some kind of building built on Chestnut. I don't think they will launch a tower at that spot on Market. Yet.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 1:25 PM

Anyone have any intel on retail slotted for the vacant stores on the 1,500 block of Chestnut? There are at least 3 vacancies. Would be great to see that block continue its upswing as the W continues to move forward on the next block.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:19 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
The building where the Rainbow was on the 1200 block of Chestnut has a demo permit up. Also nearly all the stores at the garage at 6th and Market have vacated. I'd expect some nice upgrades in tenants in both spots and some kind of building built on Chestnut. I don't think they will launch a tower at that spot on Market. Yet.
1208 Chestnut – Does that say full demo or no? Nothing on atlas yet. Zoning use approved last spring was for an overbuild:

Permit Number
Application Type
ZONING/USE PERMIT
Permit Type
Z/U-NEW CONSTRUCTION
Date Issued
Thu Apr 19 2018
Work Description
FOR THE ERECTION OF A SIX(6) STORY ADDITION OF AN EXISTING THREE(3) STORY STRUCTURE( 112' HIGH) WITH TWO(2) ROOF DECKS ACCESSED BY A PILOT HOUSE WITH STAIR TOWER FOR A VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACE/RETAIL ( USE REGISTRATION PERMIT REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY) AT FIRST FLOOR IN THE SAME BUILDING WITH MULTI-FAMILY HOUSEHOLD LIVING ( 52 DWELLING UNITS) FROM SECOND FLOOR THROUGH NINETH FLOORS WITH EIGHTEEN(18) BICYCLE SPACES IN AN ACCESSIBLE ROUTE AT CELLAR WITH EIGHTEEN(18) OFF-SITE PARKING SPACES (SEE APP# 860909) PARKING IS PROVIDED AT 123 S 12TH ST) ACCESSORY TO DWELLING UNITS.SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN IN THE APPLICATION.

https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...0CHESTNUT%20ST

and plans drawing here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/27-328343.pdf

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
1208 Chestnut – Does that say full demo or no? Nothing on atlas yet. Zoning use approved last spring was for an overbuild:

Permit Number
Application Type
ZONING/USE PERMIT
Permit Type
Z/U-NEW CONSTRUCTION
Date Issued
Thu Apr 19 2018
Work Description
FOR THE ERECTION OF A SIX(6) STORY ADDITION OF AN EXISTING THREE(3) STORY STRUCTURE( 112' HIGH) WITH TWO(2) ROOF DECKS ACCESSED BY A PILOT HOUSE WITH STAIR TOWER FOR A VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACE/RETAIL ( USE REGISTRATION PERMIT REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY) AT FIRST FLOOR IN THE SAME BUILDING WITH MULTI-FAMILY HOUSEHOLD LIVING ( 52 DWELLING UNITS) FROM SECOND FLOOR THROUGH NINETH FLOORS WITH EIGHTEEN(18) BICYCLE SPACES IN AN ACCESSIBLE ROUTE AT CELLAR WITH EIGHTEEN(18) OFF-SITE PARKING SPACES (SEE APP# 860909) PARKING IS PROVIDED AT 123 S 12TH ST) ACCESSORY TO DWELLING UNITS.SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN IN THE APPLICATION.

https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...0CHESTNUT%20ST

and plans drawing here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/27-328343.pdf
Not sure. Couldn't get too close to the recently posted orange Notice of Demolition on the window yesterday as the bars were blocking it. What you posted would indicate it's not a full demolition, but not sure if plans might have changed or what else exists that post-dates April beyond the actual Notice of Demolition posted in the window. EDIT: having now passed the site again in the daytime, it appears to be total demolition to me. I sent you the picture.

Last edited by jsbrook; Feb 4, 2019 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 5:55 PM

Does anyone have a good resource/link comparing construction cost with different materials? Blue glass v. grey glass v. red brick v. blue brick v. metal siding v. precast concrete v. copper v. limestone v. terracotta, etc... I realize there is plenty of individual variation in quality, so maybe a range per square foot for each material.

I'm so bored of of the blue glass of Philly buildings. They are doing great things in other parts of the country. Cost is certainly a real factor, but I'd love to try to parse out how much of the architecture we are seeing here is laziness and lack of ingenuity and how much of it is dictated by cost constraints.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I'm so bored of of the blue glass of Philly buildings. They are doing great things in other parts of the country. Cost is certainly a real factor, but I'd love to try to parse out how much of the architecture we are seeing here is laziness and lack of ingenuity and how much of it is dictated by cost constraints.
On a smaller scale, when I popped a third story atop a 100-foot-long building, the estimate for stucco was almost as much as the cost of the house I bought in 2006. (that was a gut job, mind you) I think we ended up coming in under the estimate, but that was no doubt offset by the shotcrete we had to use over the 1760s-era brick party wall.

I had wanted to do a brick facade for the third floor, but the economics didn't make sense, in terms of insulation, materials, and labor. I had been hoping to have something just a little more decorative done with the brickwork, but since it was essentially tiles, that didn't happen.

Ultimately, I'm happy that my addition wasn't clad in fiber-cement and vinyl siding, but maaaan is it hard to justify the cost of doing decent exterior work, let alone nice exterior work. It's certainly given me some perspective on the choices being made. Construction is expensive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development