HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 2:09 PM
sgera sgera is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 207
Drove to Tremblant on Friday - no construction has started
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 3:36 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Road Engineer Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Côté Ouest de la Rivière des Outaouais
Posts: 8,683
I based what I said on this article:
https://www.lapetitenation.com/article/2...t-octroye-pour-l-elargissement-de-l-a-50

Then I realized I didn’t read carefully.

“Préparation des plans et devis”

The $2.4M was only for planning.

Now twinning A50 will really take a good while. By the time it’s done, A13 will probably already join it near Mirabel or Lachute.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 6:58 PM
Ottawaresident Ottawaresident is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Guess! Hint: It's in my username
Posts: 317
Would be nice if twinned, but great for Tremblant. I think the turn on the 40 was for a freeway, you were right. The 50 is nicer than the 417 but the design means a head on crash would be deadly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 8:14 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Road Engineer Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Côté Ouest de la Rivière des Outaouais
Posts: 8,683
It just occurred to me that, when completely twinned, A50 will be the first (and possibly only) Québec 4-lane freeway to be separated by a concrete (as opposed to grassy) median for most of its length outside of built-up area. Even A5, A15/Route 117, A73/Route 175 and A85* are largely separated by a grassy median.

* I will have to see how the new freeway, when done in 2025, turns out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 12:34 AM
Ottawaresident Ottawaresident is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Guess! Hint: It's in my username
Posts: 317
It will be done in 2025? Yes!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:13 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
I don't think there is any firm timeline about it getting done by 2025.

The CAQ have pledged to get it done ASAP and said that it's a priority. But they haven't targeted 2025 AFAIK.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 12:36 AM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,813
I don't believe anything unless I see construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 7:33 AM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Road Engineer Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Côté Ouest de la Rivière des Outaouais
Posts: 8,683
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 8:44 AM
YOWetal YOWetal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think there is any firm timeline about it getting done by 2025.

The CAQ have pledged to get it done ASAP and said that it's a priority. But they haven't targeted 2025 AFAIK.
Will it be fully divided highway or will there still be some intersections etc? If fully divided it will replace the 417 for even a lot of Ottawa residents. Depending on how fast you drive it is pretty close to even from the Market to points past Montreal already.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:01 PM
Ottawaresident Ottawaresident is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Guess! Hint: It's in my username
Posts: 317
Yeah
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:18 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Will it be fully divided highway or will there still be some intersections etc? If fully divided it will replace the 417 for even a lot of Ottawa residents. Depending on how fast you drive it is pretty close to even from the Market to points past Montreal already.
It will be a fully divided four-lane highway when the twinning is complete. There are no at-grade intersections on the A-50 at the moment anyway. All of the exits are grade-separated interchanges even on the undivided super-2 segments.

A good length at each of the eastern and western ends is already a fully divided highway, as are a few short segments in the middle - around Plaisance and Montebello, notably.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:42 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Road Engineer Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Côté Ouest de la Rivière des Outaouais
Posts: 8,683
Even the interim solution to install steel cables on the super-2 sections of the highway will make them a lot safer. After all, A50 has much much much better views than Highway 417.

@Acajack Did you read the news I posted in the Quebec forum?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:47 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Even the interim solution to install steel cables on the super-2 sections of the highway will make them a lot safer. After all, A50 has much much much better views than Highway 417.

@Acajack Did you read the news I posted in the Quebec forum?
Yes, thanks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:57 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Road Engineer Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Côté Ouest de la Rivière des Outaouais
Posts: 8,683
In the distant future, if I’m heading from Ottawa to Montreal again, I can’t wait to go on A50 -> A15 -> A640 -> A19 (Avenue Papineau) to get my poutine at Labanquise for lunch and Schwartz’ for dinner, and return by A40 -> Highway 417.

I enjoy the stark contrast between the 2 routes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:14 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
In the distant future, if I’m heading from Ottawa to Montreal again, I can’t wait to go on A50 -> A15 -> A640 -> A19 (Avenue Papineau) to get my poutine at Labanquise for lunch and Schwartz’ for dinner, and return by A40 -> Highway 417.

I enjoy the stark contrast between the 2 routes.
There is nothing that is preventing you from doing that today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:43 PM
Proof Sheet Proof Sheet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
In the distant future, if I’m heading from Ottawa to Montreal again, I can’t wait to go on A50 -> A15 -> A640 -> A19 (Avenue Papineau) to get my poutine at Labanquise for lunch and Schwartz’ for dinner, and return by A40 -> Highway 417.

I enjoy the stark contrast between the 2 routes.
With a stop at Herb's on the way back for a lovely tasting coffee
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:42 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Road Engineer Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Côté Ouest de la Rivière des Outaouais
Posts: 8,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is nothing that is preventing you from doing that today.
I did it before, but that was in late April.

In the middle of winter, there’s technically something stopping me from doing that: the risk of head-on collisions is way too high.

@Proof Sheet: Where’s that? Also I can’t drink coffee at night.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 7:22 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
With a stop at Herb's on the way back for a lovely tasting coffee
Herb is a corporate titan. Who would have thought of combining a hair salon with a commercial towing business?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 7:59 AM
YOWetal YOWetal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It will be a fully divided four-lane highway when the twinning is complete. There are no at-grade intersections on the A-50 at the moment anyway. All of the exits are grade-separated interchanges even on the undivided super-2 segments.

A good length at each of the eastern and western ends is already a fully divided highway, as are a few short segments in the middle - around Plaisance and Montebello, notably.
It's been two or three years since I have gone that way but I thought there were a few full stops.

Maybe it is because I drive fast on the 417 but am a cautious passer but even when I start in Hull the current A50 is slower than going back to Ottawa and taking the 417. Will be great to see a full twinning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 1:21 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Road Engineer Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Côté Ouest de la Rivière des Outaouais
Posts: 8,683
MTQ didn’t do anything with the at-grade intersections around Mirabel Airport until as recently as summer 2016. The ones along the divided 2-lane section were straight up locked while those on the divided 4-lane section were mostly converted to interchanges.

When my friend and I first went on that highway in February 2016, we seriously thought we were lost.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:45 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.