HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #19161  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 9:42 PM
GtownFriend GtownFriend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Boulder CO
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

and 1726-50 Germantown ave on the back of the site


https://www.flow.gives/development.html
Would love to see this built!
However, I think this was about that property:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/so...e-planned-street-art-central-5th-cecil-b
Perhaps its all changed and we get the one you found? please!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19162  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:00 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
That's the next block over. This development implies that they tear down those god awful townhomes. No complaints here.
Oooh...well, I feel bad that we're losing public housing in a good location,but I can't be too upset. They really look horrendous and out-of-place on what that stretch Market is becoming. I hope they are replaced in the same number somewhere more appropriate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19163  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:54 AM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
That's the next block over. This development implies that they tear down those god awful townhomes. No complaints here.
Those 'god awful townhomes' were cutting edge when they were built 25/30?years ago. Several local architects worked for years to get them built. The model that had used before these were based on suburban living, meaning the car was a important part of the design. These started a much more urban based design in public housing. I wonder if some of them will get tagged with being 'historic', not for the design but for how significant the project was.
Personally, I don't mind them that much, although they always seemed out of place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19164  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:36 AM
Jayfar's Avatar
Jayfar Jayfar is offline
Midrise
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
That's the next block over. This development implies that they tear down those god awful townhomes. No complaints here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Oooh...well, I feel bad that we're losing public housing in a good location,but I can't be too upset. They really look horrendous and out-of-place on what that stretch Market is becoming. I hope they are replaced in the same number somewhere more appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Those 'god awful townhomes' were cutting edge when they were built 25/30?years ago. Several local architects worked for years to get them built. The model that had used before these were based on suburban living, meaning the car was a important part of the design. These started a much more urban based design in public housing. I wonder if some of them will get tagged with being 'historic', not for the design but for how significant the project was.
Personally, I don't mind them that much, although they always seemed out of place.
We're not talking about the Lucien Blackwell Homes (PHA) are we? Because I can't imagine Jannie B. allowing that unless the replacement is also named after her late husband.
__________________
Philadelphia Industrial & Commercial Heritage
A public Facebook group to promote appreciation of Greater Philadelphia's industrial and commercial history and advocate for historic preservation and adaptive re-use.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19165  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:47 AM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Those 'god awful townhomes' were cutting edge when they were built 25/30?years ago. Several local architects worked for years to get them built. The model that had used before these were based on suburban living, meaning the car was a important part of the design. These started a much more urban based design in public housing. I wonder if some of them will get tagged with being 'historic', not for the design but for how significant the project was.
Personally, I don't mind them that much, although they always seemed out of place.
I understand that in their time, they served a purpose, and I can respect that. Maybe out of reverence we could even keep a few. However, like with the Gallery, the mindset of Americans towards the city has changed once again. Those townhomes, while interesting, are entirely out of place on one of the main thoroughfares in the city. If they were somewhere in, say, south philly I don’t think anyone would mind preserving them but when the purpose they served is gone (There is a subway stop abutting the property), I don’t think they should be allowed to stand.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19166  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:26 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
We're not talking about the Lucien Blackwell Homes (PHA) are we? Because I can't imagine Jannie B. allowing that unless the replacement is also named after her late husband.
I mean, if that’s what it takes, sure...Here’s to the Lucien Blackwell Innovation Tower...I don’t think these are the same townhomes, though. I think the ones named after him are on Markoe. Not Market.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19167  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:12 PM
Parkway's Avatar
Parkway Parkway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I mean, if that’s what it takes, sure...Here’s to the Lucien Blackwell Innovation Tower...I don’t think these are the same townhomes, though. I think the ones named after him are on Markoe. Not Market.
Yeah, I think the ones named after him are what replaced the Mill Creek homes up around 46th and Aspen. The buildings in question are called "The University City Townhomes" and appear to be privately owned and managed low income housing. That doesn't mean that there won't be some serious backlash to tearing them down.
__________________
"It's like a giant ball of peanut butter with a stick of Dynamite in the middle."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19168  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:36 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: South Philly
Posts: 1,719
I think the only plan Summers shared above that has a decent shot of getting built as shown is the NRIA plan for the pier. Those Flow plans seem unrealistic and they don't have a track record. I doubt Durst would work with them on the Delaware Ave site (which doesn't match what Durst has described anyway) which then calls into question their Germantown Ave proposal which appears to be the same thing in a different shape.

As for the Platinum corridor, I see that as the next most likely, but I'm skeptical of that plan as well, though I'd love to be wrong. That's a lot of commercial space west of 40th, and I think the developer would have serious political pushback on demoing the affordable housing site at 39th and Market. Then of course there's competition with the Science Center.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19169  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:59 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I mean, if that’s what it takes, sure...Here’s to the Lucien Blackwell Innovation Tower...I don’t think these are the same townhomes, though. I think the ones named after him are on Markoe. Not Market.
What a concept. I can't tell if it's a terrible idea or truly inspired. There's that nice (meaning terrible) parking lot at 38th & Market that would be the perfect site for The Blackwell Permanent Memorial Extra Special Tower. If given a blank canvas just think of what Janie could come up with. We need to get the UC Science Center to back this idea, give it traction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19170  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:59 PM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,365
I'm completely fine with getting rid of the townhomes at 39th and Market. Suburban-style housing should have no place in most areas of the city; in fact, the only area of the city where something like this would reasonably fit in is in the Northeast. West Philly deserves better than low-slung, cheap looking, suburban-style housing at such a prime location. I hope the Platinum Corridor comes to fruition, and that the complex at 39th and Market is the first to go.

I feel the exact same way about the PHA housing in West Poplar, as well as a slew of tract homes surrounding Temple's campus. Allowances for suburban-style housing should be removed from the zoning code (except in the Northeast, parts of the Northwest, and neighborhoods in North and West Philly), and the PHA should be ashamed of developing such homes when they have a 5+ year long waiting list for housing.
__________________
No one outsmarts a Fox!

Temple University '18 ']['
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19171  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:12 PM
cardeza cardeza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm completely fine with getting rid of the townhomes at 39th and Market. Suburban-style housing should have no place in most areas of the city; in fact, the only area of the city where something like this would reasonably fit in is in the Northeast. West Philly deserves better than low-slung, cheap looking, suburban-style housing at such a prime location. I hope the Platinum Corridor comes to fruition, and that the complex at 39th and Market is the first to go.

I feel the exact same way about the PHA housing in West Poplar, as well as a slew of tract homes surrounding Temple's campus. Allowances for suburban-style housing should be removed from the zoning code (except in the Northeast, parts of the Northwest, and neighborhoods in North and West Philly), and the PHA should be ashamed of developing such homes when they have a 5+ year long waiting list for housing.
what about the occupants? People do actually live there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19172  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:26 PM
Larry King Larry King is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I think the only plan Summers shared above that has a decent shot of getting built as shown is the NRIA plan for the pier. Those Flow plans seem unrealistic and they don't have a track record. I doubt Durst would work with them on the Delaware Ave site (which doesn't match what Durst has described anyway) which then calls into question their Germantown Ave proposal which appears to be the same thing in a different shape.

As for the Platinum corridor, I see that as the next most likely, but I'm skeptical of that plan as well, though I'd love to be wrong. That's a lot of commercial space west of 40th, and I think the developer would have serious political pushback on demoing the affordable housing site at 39th and Market. Then of course there's competition with the Science Center.
The pier project will definitely be developed, they are very active builders in the city and NJ/NY. The germantown ave project is just total fantasy, even if zoning allowed it, the economics would never support a high rise at that location... the group recently built a seemingly (?) public park at the site last year for some reason.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19173  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:34 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm completely fine with getting rid of the townhomes at 39th and Market. Suburban-style housing should have no place in most areas of the city; in fact, the only area of the city where something like this would reasonably fit in is in the Northeast. West Philly deserves better than low-slung, cheap looking, suburban-style housing at such a prime location. I hope the Platinum Corridor comes to fruition, and that the complex at 39th and Market is the first to go.

I feel the exact same way about the PHA housing in West Poplar, as well as a slew of tract homes surrounding Temple's campus. Allowances for suburban-style housing should be removed from the zoning code (except in the Northeast, parts of the Northwest, and neighborhoods in North and West Philly), and the PHA should be ashamed of developing such homes when they have a 5+ year long waiting list for housing.
I too am not happy with the suburban model in an urban setting. It has been a LONG time since I took "Sociology of Urban Planning" as an elective, but I remember studying the serious social and other problems occasioned by the "warehousing" model at places like Robert Taylor homes and Cabrini Green (Chicago was the nearest big metro area to my school). They checked the density "box," but were a failure on many other levels, leading to demolition. I think the suburban model is, at least in part, a pendulum swing reaction against that. Depending upon the context, townhomes and modestly sized multi family structures are a better option. I think even better are housing vouchers that don't concentrate poverty and attendant social problems in a brick and mortar "encampment," but that runs into NIMBY resistance and landlord hostility/apathy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19174  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:52 PM
Aaamazarite's Avatar
Aaamazarite Aaamazarite is offline
Cory Trevor Leahy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wash West
Posts: 617
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19175  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:02 PM
Boku Boku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
what about the occupants? People do actually live there.
Actual people, their wants and needs, and how development may affect them are oftentimes casually cast aside here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19176  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:02 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: South Philly
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Actual people, their wants and needs, and how development may affect them are oftentimes casually cast aside here.
It's unfortunate when people have to move when they don't want to, but unless you'd be okay with a law that says renters can hold their landlords hostage and stay as long as they want, preventing them from improving their property, I'm not sure what else could be done. Obviously the developer would have to give the residents sufficient notice, and it'd be better for them to offer relocation assistance, but ultimately it's a question of whether or not you believe renters have a right to rent in one place forever, and if they do, whether that right supplants a property owner's right to develop their property as they see fit within the zoning code.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19177  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:20 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
Sorry it sounds callous, but it's not wrong to favor a project that will produce high wage jobs at the expense of housing projects (the fact that they are ugly is not really relevant). Gentrification has winners and losers. But one of the winners is the city itself, which benefits financially from commercial office buildings much more so than public housing. This in turn affords the city to fund libraries, parks, roads, police, and other things that benefit all city residents. Sure some renters will need to find a new place to live but in the grand scheme of things the city and its residents are better off with an office building than public housing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19178  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:05 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
I have absolutely no problem with low income housing at this location, I only have a problem with the style and low-density of it at this location. 39th and Market should be a mixed-use high rise - no question.

They should propose a mixed use development here that incorporates office space, ground floor retail, and residential units. Within those residential units, incorporate the total amount of low income housing units as what would be lost by demolishing these. ON TOP OF THAT, they should rebuild more low income townhomes at 47th and Aspen, or somewhere else nearby where there is a lot of open land.

This would accomplish multiple things, including putting a size and use appropriate development at 39th and Market, as well as replace these aging low income housing units with double the amount of brand new low income housing units in the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19179  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:51 AM
Leviathant Leviathant is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Those Flow plans seem unrealistic and they don't have a track record. I doubt Durst would work with them on the Delaware Ave site (which doesn't match what Durst has described anyway) which then calls into question their Germantown Ave proposal which appears to be the same thing in a different shape.
Yeah, the press release specifically stated:
Quote:
The Durst Organization has retained the services of leading architectural firm Handel Architects to develop a design that will bring new and exciting active uses to the area and enliven the Columbus Boulevard corridor.
The plans up on the Flow website for the PPA lot next to One Water Street are absurd, and are frankly pretty ignorant of the location they're building on and around.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19180  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:52 AM
brenster brenster is offline
i heart philly
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dillsburg,PA
Posts: 284
I saw a video on Twitter tonight showing construction stuff being delivered at the Comcast 3 site. Anyone know anything?
__________________
I heart Philly
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:56 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.