Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa
Do you get the sense that congestion is preventing any car trips in Ottawa?
People just drive around the cordon, and if you put the cordon so far out nobody can drive around then many people don’t need to cross it. A congestion tax works in a city where the downtown has the most congested streets, that isn’t the case here.
|
When posting stats it is recommended that you post the source. I found it and it is
here for those who want it.
I have a few issues with that plot. First of all, that shows everyone's commute (not just those going downtown). Suburban employers are going to have a much higher proportion of employees driving than downtown employers. It also doesn't indicate the distance people are driving, but that would be a completely different metric.
The second, and even bigger concern I have with the plot is that it has lumped drivers of single occupant vehicles with drivers of car pools together. The plot seems to indicate almost 75% of commuters drive (the exact number is not known), but yet the article clearly states "58.5% drive
alone in the car." It doesn't say how many drive in a car pool, nor does it have an exact number or percentage who are a passenger in a car (though it does seem to show more people are passengers in a car than walk, and 7.1% walk (33,223 of 467,940), so I would guess about 8% are passengers in a car pool).