Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport
Hong Kong and Sydney are global cities with powerhouse economies. How the fark do the rank and file Vancouverites survive, with their comparatively mediocre paycheques (relative to HK/Sydney), in this insane housing market? It was insane when I lived in Van back in the 90s...caused me to leave, in fact.
|
I met a few people in Australia, two in Sydney, one had lived in Vancouver for school about 10 years ago, anyway he said Sydney was really expensive and they rented and had to pay rent every Friday, it was standard that rent was paid weekly to the people I spoke to. I saw a listing in Melbourne for a one bedroom that was $700 Aus which is on par with Canada. But that was $700 per week plus add-ons, $2800/month. Crazy.
My cousins BF was paying $500 a week for a room in a shared place in Perth and said that was pretty much the minimum and most places to rent cost a lot more.
They do have a higher minimum wage which makes eating out really expensive however I found groceries to be cheaper. So perhaps it balances out some. But at the bar it was $15 for a beer or cider. $10 drinks were considered a bargain.
Aa for Vancouver if you were lucky enough to live in the same space for years your rent isn't too bad, in my building a lot of the people have been there since the 80s or 90s, as soon as they move out the rent goes up but its not that bad for the area which is 5 minutes to Lougheed Skytrain. A lot of people have to settle for basement suites which isn't that bad but buying is no longer an option.