Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita
Two things here- first, the whole "privately owned public space" thing. Somebody posted an article where the author was critical of the rules many of these spaces have- in truth, those rules are mainly to discourage homeless people from sleeping there or camping out. I think Occupy in Zuccotti Park might have had something to do with them too- nobody else wants that on their plaza. As for the city insisting on certain amounts of public space, that's because generally, developers make tradeoffs with the city in order to put up bigger buildings than zoning would otherwise allow for. Want a few extra floors, a little more floor-area ratio? Offer the city something in return. Subway access from your building? Boom, here's another floor or two. A public plaza? Have some more floor space. You get the picture. If the city is going to give concessions for developers, it's not unreasonable to ask for something in return, that will benefit the public good.
|
I don't mind a plaza here or there, they offer respite in the busy, big city for those who want it. But like I said earlier, it's not as if the City isn't getting something in return simply by the building being there, such as taxes and the goal of retaining companies in the area, which is the main goal of the Midtown East rezoning, lest we forget. And it's not as if these developers are getting anything free for the privilege to build there, they have to purchase the additional air rights (because the City didn't upzone outright) and still contribute to the "Public Improvement Fund", which I supposed would go towards "improvements" in the area ($42 million alone from Chase for that fund). And that's all before you even get to the plaza/public space requirement.
Quote:
|
Second, about reincarnation- I'm an Animist at heart. I believe in something very similar to the Shinto concept of Kami or ensoulment. I feel that the original presence of 425 Park Avenue never really left, it's simply taken on a new form, a sort of human assisted metamorphasis. The same may well happen here. While I'm still not happy about the loss of this building, its spirit may yet persist, occupying what's built in its place.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876
Reincarnation!
“Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.”
― Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī
|
That's how you have to look at it. It's basically a renovation/remodeling on a larger scale. 270 Park Avenue will remain, it will just be a larger and improved structure for it's owner and tenants. Think of it as rebuilding your home.
And as we prepare for the demo (and because I like aerials), a look at what will be replaced (Google earth)