Quote:
Originally Posted by Allandale25
Great to have that post document. I wasn't reading and posting here in 2017 so I wasn't aware he said that. I'm sure I've seen other posts since then where he's tried to claim the Moose Plan wouldn't interfere or require changes to the City's plan. Also, how much of the Trillium Line is supposed to be double tracked? In other words, are they planning on double tracking any additional portions? Wouldn't there need to be a third track to allow for the Stage 2 plan as well as a Moose service?
|
The only double tracking on the existing line that will be done for Stage 2 is just North of Carling Station to Bayview Station. The remainder will be single track with some extended passing tracks.
There shouldn't need to be a third track given the details we have right now. The city runs trains every 12 minutes (and will continue to do so post-Stage 2) which means 5 trains per hour per direction meaning a throughput of 10 trains per hour. The corridor is capped (and will continue to be capped) at this capacity until further upgrades (i.e. double tracking) are done.
MOOSE is proposing to run hourly trains originating from each of the 6 terminal stations so there would be 6 trains going through the city per hour, however one of those lines never uses the Trillium Line corridor meaning that there would be 4 additional trains per hour on the corridor.
Double tracking usually increases capacity to slightly above double, so we can assume that a double tracked Trillium Line corridor would allow for at least 20 trains per hour which is more than enough for both.
Triple tracking would be required if either organization wanted to run significantly more trains but that wouldn't be for a very long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton
Yes, I can imagine that scenario. But it doesn't happen at the expense of critical local transit (the Trillium line does not end up hobbled, or shut down). It actually directly serves at least a few of the key employment areas people want to go to. And it isn't funded through some "clever" taxation of property values, it has to largely recover its cost through the fare box, and stand on its own two feet. And it is tied in with smart planning practices, which municipalities carefully craft to create sustainable development (ala the compact city), while not increasing the cost of housing for people who live and work locally in the communities it serves.
|
Woah now, let's not get carried away. The Trillium Line's primary customers are students at Carleton. You might get at most 20 passengers per train who ride the line
through Carleton at peak periods. The city plans to maintain the current service (albeit with longer trains) and given the above MOOSE's service shouldn't affect that. In fact, dare I say that students would be better off with a combined OC Transpo/MOOSE service? Just saying.
Full disclosure, I am a student at Carleton and I take the Trillium Line every day but I don't live anywhere near an area that MOOSE is targeting. My local station would be Walkley.