HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1461  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:54 AM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,540
I totally agree with you that I wish they hadn't been mashed together like this, although I think it turned out better than I was expecting, and I think the original would have been more awkward when the condo tower was lower than the hotel portion. The most important thing to me is the high quality of materials and finishes.

In a couple years, Nutrien Tower will dominate over it all and I think there will be a certain harmony to the entire complex of buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1462  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:17 PM
King Ralph King Ralph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I totally agree with you that I wish they hadn't been mashed together like this, although I think it turned out better than I was expecting, and I think the original would have been more awkward when the condo tower was lower than the hotel portion. The most important thing to me is the high quality of materials and finishes.

In a couple years, Nutrien Tower will dominate over it all and I think there will be a certain harmony to the entire complex of buildings.
Nutrien won't even be in the tower in 10 years or so. It is well-known that none of its executives want to live in Saskatoon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1463  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:30 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 891
Yes that glass does look good, the Alt and the condo together has a different look from different angles, I probably also won't notice it as much once the Nutrien tower is up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1464  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:00 PM
Ricopedra Ricopedra is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 729
Great pics, Echoes! I like that first floor glass, it should look good on both towers, and from a distance. I believe they'll still be putting up clear glass on the double-height areas of the main floors.

Saskatoon has a pretty small downtown core so as it fills out, the hotel/condo will seem right at home. Anyway, they look great and with Nutrien Tower, folks going to the museum or the theatre will get a little big city feel! Niiiiiiiiiice! Ha ha!>)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1465  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:35 PM
Crisis's Avatar
Crisis Crisis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Great pics, Echoes! I like that first floor glass, it should look good on both towers, and from a distance. I believe they'll still be putting up clear glass on the double-height areas of the main floors.)
The glass around the entrance atrium is going to be full height structural panels about 38 feet high with no mullions. It's going to look pretty damned good.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1466  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:23 AM
roryn1 roryn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,041
Definitely a nicer area and building than Nutrien’s current office in a suburb in Calgary (which doesn’t have much room for growth btw). Hopefully we convince more execs to town with such a beauty. The location and building are definitely a competitive advtange to Calgary which is a first for Saskatoon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1467  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 6:03 PM
alt_center alt_center is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 328
I have travelled all over the world. I am just back from several weeks in Melbourne which is a fantastic city to be sure. But as I travel the world I appreciate my walk/cycle commute along our beautiful river valley more than ever. Our airport is nice, accessible, and easy to use (we could use better connections though). We don't have clogged freeways and soul crushing commutes. Our housing is (relatively) affordable. Our skies are blue, our air and water are clean. IMHO Saskatoon offers an excellent quality of life that competes with anywhere (even that mecca Calgary). If we concentrate on building a vibrant and livable city good things will happen...

Dec 14 Pictures:



^^^ Forming the ninth floor. No new glass on since Echoes' pics, but I think they were lifting many pallets of wall panels onto the third floor when I went past.



^^^ The lobby will be stunning... filled with light all day every day and a view that will never be compromised.



^^^ Nutrien tower pit. I actually expected to see a little more progress since the last time I went past several weeks ago. It is difficult to get a look into the pit as a lane along 19th st (north side of the site; left side of picture) is fenced off and being used for deliveries etc. The corner of 19th st and 2nd ave is the only spot from which the pit is visible. Maybe one could get a look from further down 2nd ave when the site is idle.



It looks like they have paved a spot in front of the hotel for temp. access into the garage. The electrical and gas services there will all have to get moved. Hopefully the move is permanent, because all the pipe/conduit/etc looks terrible along the sidewalk right in front of the hotel. Perhaps it was always meant to be temporary in that spot, until the north tower was built. And the north tower started sooner than was expected
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1468  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 4:21 PM
mitchellk12's Avatar
mitchellk12 mitchellk12 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia
Posts: 677
Crane was tied to the tower yesterday as i drove by mid aft. Seems to be getting jacked up soon(ish), as the equipment was on site for the crane too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1469  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:15 PM
Ricopedra Ricopedra is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 729
Nice pics, alt_center! Much appreciated. It looks like they've punched a hole open to the East parkade already in your Nutrien Tower pic. Cheers to the holidays!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1470  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:49 PM
peakstudio peakstudio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
Nutrien won't even be in the tower in 10 years or so. It is well-known that none of its executives want to live in Saskatoon.
While some of the executives may stay in Calgary, Nutrien will be occupying 8 storeys of the tower when it is complete in 2020.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1471  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 10:47 PM
Dalreg's Avatar
Dalreg Dalreg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,004
Best to ignore King Bob (Ralph).

Nutrien Will gladly fill up their space here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1472  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 12:36 AM
alt_center alt_center is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
... It looks like they've punched a hole open to the East parkade already in your Nutrien Tower pic. Cheers to the holidays!
I don't think that particular opening ever had any concrete in it... I could probably tell by going back through the pics... but that would require effort. Perhaps they knew that Nutrien tower was a go when that wall was poured.

Dec. 19 Pictures:





^^^^ Crane raised. 9th floor column forms going up today.



^^^^ Some more glass appearing. I think that's part of the lobby.



^^^^ They've added stop lights to the temporary parkade entrance. The door looks to be very narrow. I guess that means the gas and electrical infrastructure will be staying there??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1473  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 3:25 PM
prairieguy prairieguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,577
Hopefully the gas/electrical infrastructure will be concealed with some kind of attractive screening, because if it is not...that sure presents a — ugly street front for what otherwise is a sleek design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1474  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:04 PM
peakstudio peakstudio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7
^^^^ Some more glass appearing. I think that's part of the lobby.

That glass is for the second level fitness centre.


^^^^ They've added stop lights to the temporary parkade entrance. The door looks to be very narrow. I guess that means the gas and electrical infrastructure will be staying there??[/QUOTE]

That is the configuration of the parkade entrance until the North tower parkade is built, at which time entrance will be located off the North side of the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1475  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:54 PM
Ricopedra Ricopedra is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 729
Why is this thread so dead? Everyone has a phone that takes pictures, that uploads to the internet. And everyone drives, in circles, every day, around the city. So what's going on? Is this development not exciting enough for you? Post your pics or...whatever!>)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1476  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:18 PM
alt_center alt_center is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Why is this thread so dead? Everyone has a phone that takes pictures, that uploads to the internet. And everyone drives, in circles, every day, around the city. So what's going on? Is this development not exciting enough for you? Post your pics or get out of here!>)
I know eh? Seriously though...

I go past there almost every day.. The site was totally shut down for the last week and a half. There has been virtually no progress since my last update. They are now back at work and I will post some updates very soon.

I did hear a rumour that the condos will be ready for occupancy beginning in April!

I'm not sure if that is on time or not., but if not they must be very close to schedule. I follow lots of other Canadian threads and there have been some projects (e.g., Civic Plaza in Surrey) that have been very late. UC seems to know what they are doing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1477  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:37 PM
roryn1 roryn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,041
Not sure if this was posted yet, but the website for Alt Hotels Saskatoon is live:

https://www.althotels.com/en/saskatoon/

I was living in Winnipeg right near the Alt Hotel when it opened there a few years ago. There was a stabbing there the first week inside the lobby. As long as that doesn't happen on opening week we are doing good
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1478  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:50 PM
WoodlandCritter WoodlandCritter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
I know eh? Seriously though...

I go past there almost every day.. The site was totally shut down for the last week and a half. There has been virtually no progress since my last update. They are now back at work and I will post some updates very soon.

I did hear a rumour that the condos will be ready for occupancy beginning in April!

I'm not sure if that is on time or not., but if not they must be very close to schedule. I follow lots of other Canadian threads and there have been some projects (e.g., Civic Plaza in Surrey) that have been very late. UC seems to know what they are doing.
I live out of town, was home for the holidays, tried getting down there but didn't have time to snap any photos. Please keep posting, love seeing this project grow
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1479  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:05 PM
YXE YXE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 287
Occupancy for the condo will begin with Floors 2 & 3 at the beginning of April and then each week or so they'll work their way up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1480  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 9:52 PM
prairieguy prairieguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,577
Is that standard for a residential condo building? Not sure I would like to be the residents on floors 2 & 3 while a construction project is proceeding overhead?! But I guess they are really just at the finishing stage for units now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:19 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.