Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner
I think Surrey Central is fine. It is far less affected by a "Canadian recession" than anyone thinks. Micro markets across the world are typically affected by local events, not national events.
It was basically 80 years between major depressions in the market so fear of a recession is just that, fear but likely not any meaningful reality. I'd be more worried about all levels of government continuing to enact what I now call "ownership penalties" from empty home taxes to speculation taxes and higher mortgage qualification rules.
That has FAR more affect on the housing market than a potential Canadian recession which won't necessarily affect every province the same way. The last 3 recessions outside of 2009 had some provinces booming like Alberta.
|
It depends. TBH, considering the extremely unbalanced price ratios and economy, it's probably a good thing on the long run, even if it's being popped prematurely. Pretty much every other industry is suffering under the weight of RE prices.
Not many people thought the Great Recession would be as severe as it became either, TBF, and that the deleveraging and recovery would take as long as it did.
There is a level of caution justified when dealing with bubbles.
I'm also somewhat concerned about the balance of residential to commercial here. I thought it was supposed to be a town centre, but aside from City Centre, most of the developments are primarily residential or partial office and residential (like King George).
Speaking of King George, where is the parking for it going? Is it just assumed it's going to become irrelevant parking-wise due to the Skytrain extension?