Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123
At the end of the day I think Canada needs better rules around land ownership tracking, taxation, and money laundering or the same thing will happen again in the future, even if Chinese buyers get scared away.
|
Completely agree.
The worst rule IMO (and first that should get changed) is that capital gains on reselling something you claimed as your personal residence are exempt from taxation.
It makes no sense whatsoever.
If, for example, I had bought a 4-speed '71 Hemicuda convertible a couple decades ago at a reasonable price, and resold it this year for a couple million dollars (that's actually what those things are worth now), I'd pay no taxes at all, and put those millions post-tax directly into my bank account, if I can somehow make a claim that it was my main car? Would that sound reasonable to you?
There's a reason we have taxes - whenever you make a —-ton of money, regardless of how you did that, you owe some to the government, in order to help pay for all the nice programs that result in the society we can all enjoy.