Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveled
Insider trading in real estate should be illegal.
|
Lol, this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If I'm a big business moving into an area why on earth would I want to disclose that and cause speculators to drive up prices before I can acquire the other properties I need? Real Estate is not stocks, there is no group of shareholders reliant on me to disclose things in a uniform and fair manner. If I go to a factory owner and want to buy his building and he wants to sell it to me, why should anyone else be involved? Why would we want anyone else to be involved?
The biggest issue with this is that it's impossible for there not to be insider trading. And by this I mean there is wayyyyy too much unique information on each property to ever uniformly disseminate it. A stock is a piece of paper, it has the same rights and value as every other share. One of the defining features of real estate is that literally every parcel is slightly different in terms of location, improvements, size, shape, grade, etc etc. How would you ever possibly capture and quantify all that data? For example I just did a deal on a 100,000 SF old 🞵🞵🞵 warehouse, the amount of data I needed to gather just to get that sale closed was immense and took 6+ months. I needed two rounds of environmental reports (one was 500+ pages, the other 800+ pages), surveys which showed encroachments and easements, had to have leases in hand with tenants, had to get contractor bids, had to examine structural damage from roof leaks, needed to meet with the local politicians to make sure they were OK with my proposed use, had to check local zoning laws, needed to check the taxes, had to get architects involved, etc etc.