Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane
This is fair enough but based on your description, it sounds strikingly similar to Schuylkill Yards and all the positives we thought would appeal to Amazon, namely a well located blank canvas for them to grow into. Both LIC and SY offer underdeveloped tracts of land with "horrible urban dynamics" that lie across the river from their respective city's core but also immediately adjacent to lively, fully urbanized neighborhoods (University City and Astoria, Queens). Didn't Atlanta's proposed site (the Gulch) also share these characteristics?
|
You are right- I was not looking at this in terms of future potential. I just remember walking at night, praying I would not get hit by a car with poor lighting, glass on the sidewalk, etc. It will take lots of infrastructure improvements to make it a vibrant area.
SY has LIC beat on many terms. Of course the Amtrak station and Market subway lines are great assets, but Chestnut and Market street form great thoroughfares which make navigating the area is easy on foot. The university and the riverfront are great neighbors.
Unfortunately, DC and NYC are huge IT talent hubs, and Atlanta was not able to compete in this arena. Georgia was also hurt by some redneck politicians who could not keep their mouth shut, plus Atlanta does not have any commuter rail servicing the suburbs. The Gultch project in Atlanta was supposed to take at least 3 years to be 'move in' ready, which did not meet their timeline- I'm sure this might have been a factor with SY as well.