Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly
Thanks. I definitely think more international gates are needed. And, the additional runway. PHL is notoriously bad for having delays taxiing in the runway and flights circling around the city waiting to land on the runway.
All the interior update is well over due and I'm glad that some major updates to the restaurant and space has happened. But I think PHL can and should do more to improve its performance overall. At one time, I think the airlines were pushing back on paying for these performance improvements, but I'm not sure if that has changed and if the city has taken out a municipal bond for more work to be done. I hope it has.
|
Some years ago in the 3rd runway debate it seemed to be common knowledge that non-weather delays at PHL had more to do with crowded east coast air space issues then anything happening on the ground. Is that true? Who does one believe?
A couple years ago the airport leadership came out with the next 2 or 3 phases of major expensive improvements and at that time the airlines----who end up indirectly paying off the bonds that the City floats----were not in favor of all the proposals and in the order and style that were suggested. That was around the time of the USAir/American merger and since they are the king of the airport maybe that has changed since the merger has gone through and American has had time to figure out how to use PHL.
Yes more international gates would be useful, but only for a few hours a day. And since PHL is as much of a connecting point for many international flights that try to tie into domestic flights there is a huge ground operation which is heavily used for 4 to 6 hours a day, then is largely unused for the rest of the day-----apparently this is very costly. More gates that are used in the present fashion would mean a lot more then just the gates themselves.
PHL has a record of building for yesterday; they spent TONS on the N S runway and that weird little runway on the very east of the airport to handle a certain size plane only to have the airlines largely stop using that type of plane. I don't know if there's any answer for that sort of thing, but PHL because of its size and location in reference to other airports, can't be everything to everyone. Teaming up with UPS is a good example of something it can do well