A pre-development tree permit was filed today for a residential high-rise at the site of this monstrosity at the 1600 block of Guadalupe across the street from the Clay Pot restaurant.
Quote:
The project includes the construction of a high rise building with approximately 6660 SF of retail development and 110 multifamily units.
^That building is actually a high rise to the mechanical roof. It's 7 floors and was built in 1963. I didn't realize, but Google Maps has it listed that UT has some of their administrative offices in it. With their new HQ settling in now, I wonder what other buildings they were occupying across downtown.
I actually like these brutalist monsters. They add texture to the cityscape. More so than the ticky-tacky that characterizes most campus residential and which will probably replace this. If this thing could be renovated -- especially the first floor street interaction -- that would be great.
Looks like the large open lot south of The Fairmont on Cesar Chavez.
I can't match this to that lot in my head. But assuming the models around the obvious new building are real buildings with proper scale, I can't place this anywhere.
I can't match this to that lot in my head. But assuming the models around the obvious new building are real buildings with proper scale, I can't place this anywhere.
This is what I was thinking. I could be wrong, but it's all I could come up with as a possible location:
This is what I was thinking. I could be wrong, but it's all I could come up with as a possible location:
The fact that Millennium Rainey was missing was the deal breaker for me. But this could be an old pre-Millenium Rainey project proposal. There is no other place in Austin where little houses would be next to skyscrapers.
I agree that this is at least a two tower proposal due to the same style slanted parking podium wall along Driskill St. on the front two buildings you labeled as "New Building."
I don't remember which thread it was in, but old renderings were posted (a year or two ago?) for a project at that location which may have been similar to this massing.
A pre-development tree permit was filed today for a residential high-rise at the site of this monstrosity at the 1600 block of Guadalupe across the street from the Clay Pot restaurant.
Didn't UT purchase this? Selling?
OR DORM???
looked at "Kimley-horn" first link is to educational/institutions..... ugh.
Kimley-Horn provides planning and engineering services for all kinds of projects. I wouldn't worry about their name on this as being an indicator of an inferior project.
The property is zoned CBD and not in a CVC. Most of that area is not zoned for CBD. This in theory could be a tall tower. But I would guess with 110 units and an entire block to build them on, this is probably a mid-rise or barely a high-rise.
Kimley-Horn provides planning and engineering services for all kinds of projects. I wouldn't worry about their name on this as being an indicator of an inferior project.
The property is zoned CBD and not in a CVC. Most of that area is not zoned for CBD. This in theory could be a tall tower. But I would guess with 110 units and an entire block to build them on, this is probably a mid-rise or barely a high-rise.
I sincerely hope you are right! Think they might convert the building?