HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5521  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 1:03 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
Nate Paul is not a very popular person right now. I don't know how many times I've heard people groan when his name is brought up. Also recently when OCH was suddenly closed and before it was official that the owners of Rain are taking over, there was some speculation that WCC was behind it and people were pissed. Luckily that wasn't the case.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5522  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 1:25 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Nate Paul is not a very popular person right now. I don't know how many times I've heard people groan when his name is brought up. Also recently when OCH was suddenly closed and before it was official that the owners of Rain are taking over, there was some speculation that WCC was behind it and people were pissed. Luckily that wasn't the case.
Do you know why it closed? According to the ABJ the employees weren't even told.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5523  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 5:35 AM
NYC2ATX's Avatar
NYC2ATX NYC2ATX is offline
Everywhere all at once
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SI NYC
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Also recently when OCH was suddenly closed and before it was official that the owners of Rain are taking over, there was some speculation that WCC was behind it and people were pissed. Luckily that wasn't the case.
Is this a for-sure thing? I'd hate to see a legend of a place like OCH disappear for good, especially since I missed the old Chain Drive
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5524  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 11:39 PM
Sigaven Sigaven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,585
OCH has re-opened so I hear. Not sure if it has the same name or not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5525  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 5:25 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
The owners of Rain indeed took It over. It is back open with the same employees. I was there lastnight talking to my bartender. He told me they are removing Harry's from the name so it will just be Oilcans. One of the owners was there and I kinda overheard him talking a little about what they are planning, however I only got bits and pieces so I will not discuss what I heard.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5526  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 5:41 PM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Posts: 5,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The owners of Rain indeed took It over. It is back open with the same employees. I was there lastnight talking to my bartender. He told me they are removing Harry's from the name so it will just be Oilcans. One of the owners was there and I kinda overheard him talking a little about what they are planning, however I only got bits and pieces so I will not discuss what I heard.
It had become a horrible bar. To be honest, I don’t enjoy going to gay bars at all anymore. I always leave, as a fit young attractive gay man, feeling ugly, rejected, alone, anxious, and borderline teary-eyed and it seems to me that many if not most gay men feel the same way nowadays. In fact, I get more hatred and bullying today from masculine gay men about my effeminacy than I ever did growing up in rural New Mexico from straight machismo Mexican culture.

I hope the owners of Rain make improvements to the atmosphere, but the true problem is out of their control: that gay society has been re-structured away from recent LGBT movement priorities like social integration via marriage, family life, housing, equal employment opportunities, etc back toward social outlaw promiscuity and drug use because of — charged, meth enabling, racially discriminatory dating apps like Grindr and Adam4Adam that remove importance in our minds from who someone is and places it only on what they look like, how much money they have, and what drugs they use has ruined gay nightlife throughout the country.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5527  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 6:23 PM
urbancore urbancore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zilker
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It had become a horrible bar. To be honest, I don’t enjoy going to gay bars at all anymore. I always leave, as a fit young attractive gay man, feeling ugly, rejected, alone, anxious, and borderline teary-eyed and it seems to me that many if not most gay men feel the same way nowadays. In fact, I get more hatred and bullying today from masculine gay men about my effeminacy than I ever did growing up in rural New Mexico from straight machismo Mexican culture.

I hope the owners of Rain make improvements to the atmosphere, but the true problem is out of their control: that gay society has been re-structured away from recent LGBT movement priorities like social integration via marriage, family life, housing, equal employment opportunities, etc back toward social outlaw promiscuity and drug use because of — charged, meth enabling, racially discriminatory dating apps like Grindr and Adam4Adam that remove importance in our minds from who someone is and places it only on what they look like, how much money they have, and what drugs they use has ruined gay nightlife throughout the country.
As a straight male with many gay friends, (I've actually been to OCH a couple times with both gay and straight friends), your post was poignant. I imagine it wasn't easy to say, so thanks for sharing.

I hope "the scene" gets better. From what I hear, the hetero single scene is tough too. And if it helps at all, married with kids ain't no picnic. But, this isn't about me, good luck brother. You got my support, keep your chin up!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5528  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 9:08 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
I agree the gay club scene has changed and not for the better. It's like if your not in a click, then your an outcast. As a single gay guy, I find it difficult to meet other men there. I go to the clubs mostly cause I enjoy nightlife in general and chat with friends and acquaintances but I don't expect anything more than that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5529  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:51 AM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX / Portland,OR / Chicago, IL
Posts: 14,717
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5530  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:09 AM
NYC2ATX's Avatar
NYC2ATX NYC2ATX is offline
Everywhere all at once
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SI NYC
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It had become a horrible bar. To be honest, I don’t enjoy going to gay bars at all anymore. I always leave, as a fit young attractive gay man, feeling ugly, rejected, alone, anxious, and borderline teary-eyed and it seems to me that many if not most gay men feel the same way nowadays. In fact, I get more hatred and bullying today from masculine gay men about my effeminacy than I ever did growing up in rural New Mexico from straight machismo Mexican culture.

I hope the owners of Rain make improvements to the atmosphere, but the true problem is out of their control: that gay society has been re-structured away from recent LGBT movement priorities like social integration via marriage, family life, housing, equal employment opportunities, etc back toward social outlaw promiscuity and drug use because of — charged, meth enabling, racially discriminatory dating apps like Grindr and Adam4Adam that remove importance in our minds from who someone is and places it only on what they look like, how much money they have, and what drugs they use has ruined gay nightlife throughout the country.
That's surprising and sad to hear because when I lived in Austin from March '14 to May '16, I always enjoyed going there, hell I went there to watch Drag Race when I only had basic cable in my apartment. The Iron Bear aside, OCH felt like the main bar on 4th and the center of LGBT activity in the district (I always preferred it to Rain myself).

All I will say about the second paragraph is that you're absolutely right about that. Since returning to NYC, that exact dynamic in the nightlife these days ran me into the ground, nearly destroyed me, and left me scarred after the fact. I'm almost glad it happened here and not in Austin, because I could not deal with that city being ruined for me the way NYC has been. I welcome more of this discussion in the off-topic thread even though I rarely check it

I do hope the new Oilcan's will be reinvigorated and still stick around for a good long time, because I want to go get a dirty marty there when I come back for old times' sake.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5531  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:38 PM
Sigaven Sigaven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It had become a horrible bar. To be honest, I don’t enjoy going to gay bars at all anymore. I always leave, as a fit young attractive gay man, feeling ugly, rejected, alone, anxious, and borderline teary-eyed and it seems to me that many if not most gay men feel the same way nowadays. In fact, I get more hatred and bullying today from masculine gay men about my effeminacy than I ever did growing up in rural New Mexico from straight machismo Mexican culture.

I hope the owners of Rain make improvements to the atmosphere, but the true problem is out of their control: that gay society has been re-structured away from recent LGBT movement priorities like social integration via marriage, family life, housing, equal employment opportunities, etc back toward social outlaw promiscuity and drug use because of — charged, meth enabling, racially discriminatory dating apps like Grindr and Adam4Adam that remove importance in our minds from who someone is and places it only on what they look like, how much money they have, and what drugs they use has ruined gay nightlife throughout the country.
Man, chill out...

I thought OCH was and is great. Sounds like you need to get out more. Austin's gay scene is incredibly tame and low-key compared to many/most major cities.

Last edited by Sigaven; Oct 10, 2018 at 2:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5532  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 4:10 PM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Posts: 5,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Man, chill out...

I thought OCH was and is great. Sounds like you need to get out more. Austin's gay scene is incredibly tame and low-key compared to many/most major cities.
Wow. That was rude.

I DO try and go out and have a good time. I just don’t ever have a good time anymore. Last time I went out I was drugged, raped, and choked until I passed out and left to die without anything on a camera or any way to catch the guy at all. That was this Sunday, in Houston. And in San Antonio the gay club I would have been at had I been at home, Pegasus for karaoke, was shot up that night. So I wouldn’t have had fun there either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5533  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:01 PM
Sigaven Sigaven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Wow. That was rude.

I DO try and go out and have a good time. I just don’t ever have a good time anymore. Last time I went out I was drugged, raped, and choked until I passed out and left to die without anything on a camera or any way to catch the guy at all. That was this Sunday, in Houston. And in San Antonio the gay club I would have been at had I been at home, Pegasus for karaoke, was shot up that night. So I wouldn’t have had fun there either.
I'm sorry this happened to you, but:

What does that incident have to do with OCH? Are you somehow saying that that kind of stuff is now the norm, as if it never happened in the past, and is somehow related to a recent change in gay culture? The culture hasn't changed, there has always been a spectrum. Just technology has. So it seems unfair to associate your bad experience(s) with OCH as being a "horrible" place, and to some kind of recent change in gay culture from all about inclusion to all about promiscuity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5534  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:14 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Wow. That was rude.

I DO try and go out and have a good time. I just don’t ever have a good time anymore. Last time I went out I was drugged, raped, and choked until I passed out and left to die without anything on a camera or any way to catch the guy at all. That was this Sunday, in Houston. And in San Antonio the gay club I would have been at had I been at home, Pegasus for karaoke, was shot up that night. So I wouldn’t have had fun there either.
Oh no! Please tell us you contacted law enforcement and went to a physician. I can't even imagine... I'm very sorry that happened you.

No matter how heated we may get on here over issues, we are still like an online family.

I've had some scary situations in the past but nothing to what you went through.

I've always been real careful about drinks. I don't take drinks offered by anyone that is not a good friend of mine and 95% of the time, I'm there with them or I get the drink myself. I can understand how having such a terrible experience occure can leave you jaded about the scene. A few of my friends have also been through similar experience as you. Just don't ever let this frighten you to the point where you are afraid to go out in the future. Stay strong.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5535  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:45 PM
lzppjb's Avatar
lzppjb lzppjb is offline
7th Gen Central Texan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Wow. That was rude.

I DO try and go out and have a good time. I just don’t ever have a good time anymore. Last time I went out I was drugged, raped, and choked until I passed out and left to die without anything on a camera or any way to catch the guy at all. That was this Sunday, in Houston. And in San Antonio the gay club I would have been at had I been at home, Pegasus for karaoke, was shot up that night. So I wouldn’t have had fun there either.
That's terrible. I'm sorry you went through that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5536  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:49 AM
ahealy's Avatar
ahealy ahealy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio / Austin
Posts: 2,845
Good God wwmiv. I'm so sorry....we're here for you. I'm here for you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5537  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:01 AM
drummer drummer is offline
World Traveler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin metro area
Posts: 4,811
So sorry that happened, wwmiv.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5538  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:10 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,499
Dang wwmiv, that's just plain horrible. Stay strong and close to friends and family. I stopped going out when I realized staying home gave me my best chance of dying naturally. There are evil predators out there all over this world. My thoughts are with you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5539  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:11 AM
masonh2479 masonh2479 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: AUS/ATW
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Wow. That was rude.

I DO try and go out and have a good time. I just don’t ever have a good time anymore. Last time I went out I was drugged, raped, and choked until I passed out and left to die without anything on a camera or any way to catch the guy at all. That was this Sunday, in Houston. And in San Antonio the gay club I would have been at had I been at home, Pegasus for karaoke, was shot up that night. So I wouldn’t have had fun there either.
This is horrific wwmiv, I'm terribly sorry to hear this happened to you and hope that that man gets caught and gets what he deserves. I'm here for you, and I hope all gets well soon. Stay safe and stay strong.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5540  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 5:43 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
That really —. I'm sorry to read that, wwmiv. I doubt there's anything anyone could say to make it any better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.