HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #49081  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:03 PM
acorn8332's Avatar
acorn8332 acorn8332 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Could it have been KUTE-FM? This is from a round-up of radio stations by format in the March 25, 1967 edition of 'Billboard':


books.google.com
Thank you again, Hoss. I vaguely remembered the station having Cutesy call letters--I forgot how KUTE they actually were.

Interesting address given for KUTE. I also worked in the tower (on the 4th floor). Our address was 1150 South Olive. The 1151 South Hill Street address of KUTE would place the station in the Hill Street building, which only had about 10 floors.

There is a radio station in the former Occidental Center these days. But, KUSC-FM is located on the first floor of the Hill Street building. The station's address is 1149 South Hill.

My photo: 05-12-17 of the 12th Street facade.

     
     
  #49082  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:54 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
I accidentally came across this GIF from an episode of T. J. 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. [1982-1986]



Do you think we're good enough sleuths, here on NLA, to figure out
what apartment building was used for this leaping scene?

Sorry, I don't know the episode #

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 4, 2018 at 6:25 AM.
     
     
  #49083  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:01 AM
Otis Criblecoblis's Avatar
Otis Criblecoblis Otis Criblecoblis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Could it have been KUTE-FM? This is from a round-up of radio stations by format in the March 25, 1967 edition of 'Billboard':


books.google.com
My Mom used to listen to this station a lot when it was "just beautiful music." It was at 101.9 FM. They used to advertise that they broadcast from "high atop Occidental Center."

It was my favorite station years later, in the early Eighties, when its format was "The Quiet Storm." By then, it was owned by Golden West Broadcasters, Gene Autry's company. IIRC, it was KMPC-FM for a while after that, then KSCA in the early/mid Nineties.
     
     
  #49084  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:18 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
'mystery' photograph. Long Beach Cal. 1912





written on the back.

for search purposes: "DO YOU RECOGNIZE THE GERMAN TRIO?" ON THE SANDS OF LONG BEACH, CAL. DEC. 27 - 1912






Here's a closer look at the Germanic trio.


DETAIL


Does anyone have an inkling of who these people might be?

__
     
     
  #49085  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:19 AM
Joe Gillis's Avatar
Joe Gillis Joe Gillis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 66
I heard yesterday that it was the anniversary of the Griffith Park Fire of 1933





http://framework.latimes.com/2015/05/01/1933-griffith-park-brush-fire-kills-29/


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_Griffith_Park_Fire

Has it been covered on here before, apologies if so I cant seem to get the search function to bring anything up?

Some more info here https://www.lafire.com/famous_fires/1933-1003_GriffithParkFire/1933-1003_GriffithParkFire.htm

According to the wiki article: 'To commemorate the dead workers, a deodar tree was planted at the entrance to the park along with a memorial plaque. The plaque can no longer be found'
     
     
  #49086  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 9:33 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
'mystery' photograph. Long Beach Cal. 1912





written on the back.

for search purposes: "DO YOU RECOGNIZE THE GERMAN TRIO?" ON THE SANDS OF LONG BEACH, CAL. DEC. 27 - 1912






Here's a closer look at the Germanic trio.


DETAIL


Does anyone have an inkling of who these people might be?

__
The man has a resemblance to one of the Wright Brothers (Wilber or Oroville, not sure which) & that does appear to be a Wright Flyer behind the trio. Maybe in town for one of the early aviation events? Maybe the older woman is (Wilber or Oroville's) mother & the younger lady their sister? Or maybe it is just some random "German trio", but that is a Wright Biplane behind them.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 4, 2018 at 9:44 AM.
     
     
  #49087  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:26 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I accidentally came across this GIF from an episode of T. J. 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. [1982-1986]



Do you think we're good enough sleuths, here on NLA, to figure out
what apartment building was used for this leaping scene?
After merging several frames together, the task becomes easier.



Here's as close as I could get in Google Maps.


Google Maps

I think the jump took place where I've arrowed. The top of the St James Apartments appears on the far left of the framegrabs.


Google Maps

The jump roof belongs to the Cameo Hotel at 504 S Bonnie Brae Street.


GSV
     
     
  #49088  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:34 PM
MartinTurnbull's Avatar
MartinTurnbull MartinTurnbull is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 229
Brown Derby restaurant at night, 3377 Wilshire Blvd, as seen from Alexandria Ave, Los

A follower of my daily photo blog sent me some vintage photos of LA from her collection and kindly allowed me to post some of them. This one is my favorite: a night shot of the Brown Derby as seen from Alexandria Ave looking south toward the Ambassador Hotel, where we can see the neon sign for the Cocoanut Grove. It’s so deliciously noir that I think I might faint.

I showed this to a friend of mine at the Petersen, who said: "The newest car appears to be a 1941 Cadillac, the rear of which is just visible on the far left. The other cars look to be an Oldsmobile and a Pontiac. (Must have been GM night at the club.)"

     
     
  #49089  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 4:14 PM
VictorAtomic VictorAtomic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Miracle Mile District, Los Angeles
Posts: 19
Sorry to see that the Church has caught fire today. What a waste.




Click on the link for video from KTLA 5.
https://ktla.com/2018/10/04/firefighters-battle-church-fire-in-university-park/


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
September 16, 1923, Los Angeles Times:





ProQuest via LAPL


The main entrance on Washington, with what looks to be the Pierce family crest above the arch:



uclamss_893_0167 -- Will Connell Collection. Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA
(unless noted otherwise, the UCLA pics here are dated c. 1925-39)


Here is the same entrance on the January 2017 GSV, with Bonsallo Avenue on the right:






I think this is the same room Thelma's remains were in:



uclamss_893_0163 -- Will Connell Collection. Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.


Another room:



uclamss_893_0161 -- Will Connell Collection. Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA


This is a closer look at the Pierce family crest on the wall at right in the previous photo:





OK, so maybe it's a coat of arms, not a family crest:



Geni.com -- https://www.geni.com/people/Thomas-Pierce/6000000006444637932


Here is a view of the chapel from the rear, followed by a close-up of the front of the chapel:






uclamss_893_0165 -- Will Connell Collection. Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.


Thelma Todd was not the only celebrity whose service was at Pierce Brothers on Washington:




July 25, 1932, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL


Ziegfeld had died at 10:30 p.m. on July 22. The above article goes on to state, "The body will be placed in a
vault at Forest Lawn Memorial Park today. It will be sent to New York City for internment in about a month."

This is Will Rogers (hand on hat) leaving Pierce Brothers on July 24, 1932, following the Ziegfeld service:



uclamss_1429_0048 -- Los Angeles Times Photographic Archive. Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.


This January 2017 GSV shot looks north on Bonsallo toward Washington. The woman in red is on the same steps
(now covered with tiles) Will Rogers walked down in the previous photo:




The old mortuary building doesn't appear to have much time left:
     
     
  #49090  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:42 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
Oh man, that is some bad news VictorAtomic. How bad was the fire....is it salvageable?




re: T. J. 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
After merging several frames together, the task becomes easier.



The jump roof belongs to the Cameo Hotel at 504 S Bonnie Brae Street.


GSV
Excellent sleuthing Hoss! I never would have guessed it was the old Cameo Hotel.

The series (which I know next to nothing about) was in production almost the exact same time, and same length, of my stay in Los Angeles.
I'm somewhat surprised that I never saw them filming on the streets of Los Angeles.
__

Is T. J. 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 the one with Heather Locklear?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 4, 2018 at 7:52 PM.
     
     
  #49091  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:51 PM
rentatrip's Avatar
rentatrip rentatrip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 24
Wilbur Died in 1912, so if anything, that would (?) be Orville.
There was a transcontinental trek by Wright Flyer in 1912, Cal Rogers died in first plane fatality , April 1912 , on the shore of LONG BEACH , the plane smacked into a seagull jamming the controls.
From this photo I see no front horizontal stabilizer on those front skids,
and the entire craft looks sort of out of squew . Notice rear rudder is completely twisted to one side. So if this was the same aircraft,
it was propped up on the beach 8 months after the "crash" into the waters of Long Beach. Maybe as a publicity device.
Mother Wright died when the boys were teenagers. So that is not Mamma Wright , sister Kate (Katherine) would have been mid thirties in 1912,
she was a school teacher in Ohio , so I do not believe that is Sister Kate Wright.
In my humble opinion , those three are simply German tourists , not kin to Wright Brothers , as it is December 27th of 1012 ,
and I would seriously think , Orville would be at Christmas with his family in Dayton Ohio not visiting California

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by rentatrip; Oct 4, 2018 at 7:54 PM. Reason: add more
     
     
  #49092  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:06 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
Thanks for the information rentatrip. You really know your 'Wright' history...are you, by chance, an aviation buff?

1st aviator to cross the continent.

fearoflanding for search purposes: Calbraith Rogers. Fatal Wreck, Long Beach Cal.




He was a rather handsome gentleman, wasn't he. (perhaps roguish is a better descriptor)



Read more about the fatal crash HERE

You were correct about the airplane being a Wright Flyer CaliNative. (so there's that)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 4, 2018 at 8:27 PM.
     
     
  #49093  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:27 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Is T. J. 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 the one with Heather Locklear?
Yep. She joined at the start of season 2, but there were only five episodes in season 1 (according to IMDb). I remember watching the show in the '80s, but don't think I've seen it since.
     
     
  #49094  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:30 PM
rentatrip's Avatar
rentatrip rentatrip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 24
R U an Aviation Buff ?

Well let us just say that I am probably one of a dozen people
who has actually worked on construction of two different WRIGHT
Brothers Vintage Aircraft / and I have flown hang gliders since
1971 ...........
     
     
  #49095  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:31 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
That's soooo cool! I am duly impressed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Yep. Heather Locklear joined at the start of season 2, but there were only five episodes in season 1 (according to IMDb).
I remember watching the show in the '80s, but don't think I've seen it since.
For awhile it was on METV...and I caught a couple episodes. (I never watched the series when it was first broadcast)...but my cable company dropped METV.

I remember seeing Heather Locklear going up the outside escalator at the Beverly Center...as I was going down. Talk about craning one's neck. lol
She was so very pretty. I feel sad for her now that she's going through some really rough times. I hear she was, and probably still is, very sweet.
Addiction (if that's the cause) is tough to overcome.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 5, 2018 at 12:40 AM.
     
     
  #49096  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:44 PM
Earl Boebert Earl Boebert is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentatrip View Post
Well let us just say that I am probably one of a dozen people
who has actually worked on construction of two different WRIGHT
Brothers Vintage Aircraft / and I have flown hang gliders since
1971 ...........
Small world. Did you work on the Pete Bowers Vin Fiz replica? I heard him give a talk on it at an American Aviation Historical Society meeting in Oakland CA when I was an undergraduate. He wasn't particularly impressed with the Wright Brothers' skills at stress analysis :-)

Cheers,

Earl

Last edited by Earl Boebert; Oct 4, 2018 at 9:31 PM.
     
     
  #49097  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:51 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
A follower of my daily photo blog sent me some vintage photos of LA from her collection and kindly allowed me to post some of them. This one is my favorite: a night shot of the Brown Derby as seen from Alexandria Ave looking south toward the Ambassador Hotel, where we can see the neon sign for the Cocoanut Grove. It’s so deliciously noir that I think I might faint.

I showed this to a friend of mine at the Petersen, who said: "The newest car appears to be a 1941 Cadillac, the rear of which is just visible on the far left. The other cars look to be an Oldsmobile and a Pontiac. (Must have been GM night at the club.)"


_____________________________________________________________

Yes...great photo, thanks!
     
     
  #49098  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 11:04 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I accidentally came across this GIF from an episode of T. J. 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. [1982-1986]



Do you think we're good enough sleuths, here on NLA, to figure out
what apartment building was used for this leaping scene?

Sorry, I don't know the episode
I had a look at the opening credits to TJ 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 for nostalgia purposes, and spotted the jump just a few seconds in:

• Video Link


Seeing as there were only five episodes in the first season, I found a copy of the feature-length first episode, 'The Protectors'. Most of the dialogue is pretty poor/clichéd, but I had to remember that what felt like references to 'Police Academy' and 'Top 🞵🞵🞵' actually appeared two and four years respectively before those movies!

If only I'd known that the jump was from this episode, my search would have been quicker, given the clues:



The Cameo Hotel was painted in a single color back in 1982. It's named in IMDb's filming locations.



There's a nice colorful view of the Villa Capri on Yucca during the first robbery scene. Martin Pal showed us more pictures in post #28687.



And finally, if Heather Locklear isn't your thing, there's Adrian Zmed.



All images Columbia Pictures Television/Spelling-Goldberg Productions
     
     
  #49099  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 12:39 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
Heather? Heather who?




Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 5, 2018 at 1:04 AM.
     
     
  #49100  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:06 AM
rentatrip's Avatar
rentatrip rentatrip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
Small world. Did you work on the Pete Bowers Vin Fiz replica? I heard him give a talk on it at an American Aviation Historical Society meeting in Oakland CA when I was an undergraduate. He wasn't particularly impressed with the Wright Brothers' skills at stress analysis :-)

Cheers,

Earl
------I worked on the Wright Flyer (built by Jack Lambie) used in the Film, THE WRIGHT BROTHERS
(starring Stacey and Jimmy Keach) , after the shoot, we sort of rebuilt it , out at "Planes of Fame"
in Anaheim ,that would have been Autumn of 1971.... I helped build the Wright / Valentine Model B
AKA Yellow Bird , the Valentine Wright machine was used in the AT&T film , WINDS OF KITTY HAWK

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.