HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4021  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:37 PM
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Lol that is quite the reply to justify stereotyping an entire group of people. Expecting everyone with a vehicle to go through the steps of disabling their horn is the epitome of entitlement and being out of touch with reality and common sense. I have never once heard someone complain about the use of car horns to appropriately signal to people that their car is secure. Until now. There is no city in this country that is going to enforce such a nonsensical policy of disallowing car horns to be used at night. Get some earplugs or new windows if you are so sensitive (you must have some REALLY thin windows - mine are 30 years old and I can't hear anything from outside). After all, its easier to change your own behaviour than it is to make such comical complaints that you are making.
It's takes perhaps two minutes to disable the horn. I know, I have done it numerous times.

Here is the section in the The Highway Traffic Act:

Unnecessary noise or smoke

179(1) No person in control or charge of a motor
vehicle shall,

(a) sound or permit the sounding of any bell, horn,
or other signalling device so as to make an
unnecessary noise;

"Unnecessary" has been interpreted by courts as any use of a horn except when being used as a danger signal, for example to avoid an accident or to warn of a vehicle that is out of control.

I have heard many, many people complain about unnecessary use of horns. It is certainly annoying when one is indoors, but most especially when one is trying to enjoy the outdoors. A few weeks ago I was hoping to enjoy a peaceful riverside walk at a Provincial Park just outside of the city. Even when I was a considerable distance from the parking area, at least every few minutes I would hear a horn honking. This is absolutely inexcusable and injurious to wildlife.

I would suggest that it is you that is very out of touch. Other jurisdictions have increased the enforcement of noise by-laws and ordinances in response to the now well-documented research which concludes how harmful to health unnecessary noise is. Would you suggest that everyone keep their windows closed at all times so that people can feel free to honk their horns at any time of day at night for no reason whatsoever? Extraordinarily selfish and entitled. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it is a duck.

It is beyond absurd to suggest that someone change their behavior or incur expense in order to better tolerate what is a violation of the law. The existing law should be enforced with fines similar to those incurred for speeding through a school zone and with demerits applied.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4022  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:40 PM
windypeg windypeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The fact that they do not hurt your eyes does not negate the fact that they have a detrimental impacts on human circadian rhythm as well as on birds and other animals. Quite frankly, I find the selfishness of a certain generation born in the late 80s and the 90s to be appalling. There would appear to be a belief that there is an inherent right to do whatever one pleases and to hell with the impacts on others, such as booming car music no matter the time of day (or night), allowing dogs to bark unimpeded (as dogs are supposed to bark and it's so cute, right?), and altering motor vehicles so as to be heard from a mile or more away. I can not figure out why existing by-laws and laws under the HTA are not being enforced.

Street lighting should as much as possible approximate moonlight. Also, enough of the far too bright advertising signage which in recent years has been popping up all over the city. These signs are proven to damage the human retina and can temporarily blind drivers of motor vehicles.

And I sure hope the city has no plans to ever change the historic streetlights along many streets in River Heights and the West End.
Well you certainly live up to your name, I have to give you that. I'm still not quite sure how you made the jump from talking about LED streetlights to talking about how selfish millennials apparently drive around blasting music too loud in their cars all day

As for the circadian rhythms, as other people have mentioned one drawback of the LEDs is the light is so focused that it barely lights up the sidewalk. If the light doesn't even make it onto the sidewalk then I have a hard time believing enough of it is flooding into your bedroom window to make your brain think its daytime.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4023  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:47 PM
dmacc dmacc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
As for the circadian rhythms, as other people have mentioned one drawback of the LEDs is the light is so focused that it barely lights up the sidewalk. If the light doesn't even make it onto the sidewalk then I have a hard time believing enough of it is flooding into your bedroom window to make your brain think its daytime.
EXACTLY, it can't be both, which is it?

I have had a bit of a different experience then many while walking on Pembina in the evening. I found the sidewalk to be well lit by the LED lights. My street is another story, they are the old halogen(?) lights and they don't light the sidewalk because of the tree canopy. It doesn't matter what kind of light you have, if you have trees the sidewalk will be dark. If they do put LED lights on my street it won't matter because I close my curtains in the evening. Nobody needs to see me in my underwear through the window.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4024  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:51 PM
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Well you certainly live up to your name, I have to give you that. I'm still not quite sure how you made the jump from talking about LED streetlights to talking about how selfish millennials apparently drive around blasting music too loud in their cars all day

As for the circadian rhythms, as other people have mentioned one drawback of the LEDs is the light is so focused that it barely lights up the sidewalk. If the light doesn't even make it onto the sidewalk then I have a hard time believing enough of it is flooding into your bedroom window to make your brain think its daytime.
Many people have their bedroom on a second floor, similar in height to the streetlamp itself.

In hindsight, I ought to have been well aware of the argumentum ad hominem I would encounter when making my initial post, I should have considered how sensitive Millenials are. Sorry, but you do not get a ribbon or a prize unless you finish first, second or third, and you do not pass the course if you don't bother to show up for the exam or hand in your term paper. I'm a Curmudgeon and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4025  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:55 PM
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
EXACTLY, it can't be both, which is it?

I have had a bit of a different experience then many while walking on Pembina in the evening. I found the sidewalk to be well lit by the LED lights. My street is another story, they are the old halogen(?) lights and they don't light the sidewalk because of the tree canopy. It doesn't matter what kind of light you have, if you have trees the sidewalk will be dark. If they do put LED lights on my street it won't matter because I close my curtains in the evening. Nobody needs to see me in my underwear through the window.
And to haitch E double L with the birds and the bees, right?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4026  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:12 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Both cars I have had with a fob didn't sound the horn upon locking. One must press the lock button twice to sound the horn.
__________________
Get off my lawn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4027  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:22 PM
windypeg windypeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Many people have their bedroom on a second floor, similar in height to the streetlamp itself.

In hindsight, I ought to have been well aware of the argumentum ad hominem I would encounter when making my initial post, I should have considered how sensitive Millenials are. Sorry, but you do not get a ribbon or a prize unless you finish first, second or third, and you do not pass the course if you don't bother to show up for the exam or hand in your term paper. I'm a Curmudgeon and proud of it.
"Millennials are too sensitive" says the guy who is completely losing his 🞵🞵🞵🞵 over the barely audible sound of a car lock being armed ....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4028  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:29 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
"Millennials are too sensitive" says the guy who is completely losing his 🞵🞵🞵🞵 over the barely audible sound of a car lock being armed ....
some cars are barly audible some are loud...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4029  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:53 PM
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
"Millennials are too sensitive" says the guy who is completely losing his 🞵🞵🞵🞵 over the barely audible sound of a car lock being armed ....
Really, "barely audible", be more sincere. By suggesting that a car horn is barely audible I have to conclude that you are being disingenuous. Any person with average hearing can hear a horn honking from quite a long distance. On a typical street such as one with houses having 50 foot frontages, a car horn can be heard quite clearly from at least twenty houses away. In more rural areas, that have less ambient noise, a horn can often be heard from a mile or even two distant.

I would prefer to respond to an argument as to why it is necessary to honk one's horn when "arming" a car, why it is preferable for example to simply having the lights flash or why the section in the HTA that pertains to the honking of horns should be repealed rather than enforced.

To add, it's not only when people are "arming" the vehicle, it also occurs both in my experience and that of others when a driver wishes to announce to someone that they've arrived. "I'm here and it's 7:30 a.m., HONK, HONK, I just don't know how to call from my cel or to get out of the car and knock!" Perhaps even more intrusive and assaulting, given the longevity of the unnecessary noise.

If I am the only one complaining, then why are there a vast number of writings on the internet that discuss unnecessary noise pollution, car horns being one of the most glaring examples? Did they all lose their sh*t too? Perhaps it is more the truth that people who honk their horns unnecessarily and without any consideration for others are really the ones that have lost their sh*t.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4030  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:59 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Both cars I have had with a fob didn't sound the horn upon locking. One must press the lock button twice to sound the horn.
My 2012 Dodge Journey has a user select option screen where I can either enable or disable the horn when using the remote to start my car or lock it.

I took the honk option off of both uses as soon as I got home from the dealer, but at times it would be nice to hit the lock button to find my car in a large parking lot as I may be a row over from where I thought I was parked.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4031  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:22 AM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I took the honk option off of both uses as soon as I got home from the dealer, but at times it would be nice to hit the lock button to find my car in a large parking lot as I may be a row over from where I thought I was parked.
Because I frequently park on the fringes of lots I do lose my car a lot. I use the ! button (alarm) to find it. Nobody cares about a honking horn at Home Depot!

Why doesn't anybody just push the lock button on the door anymore? Why use the fob at all?
__________________
Get off my lawn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4032  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:23 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,365
My vehicle has a little electronic beep when locking. Hopefully that does not ruin my neighbours life.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4033  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:32 PM
BuildUpWpg BuildUpWpg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 470
Here's a great example of how proactive the City of Calgary is. Would Winnipeg do some like this? Probably not for 20 years.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4034  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:43 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Here's a great example of how proactive the City of Calgary is. Would Winnipeg do some like this? Probably not for 20 years.



Is that something that falls under the jurisdiction of the city? I get the feeling the province would have to allow that and we all know that won't happen under the current admin.
__________________
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
Federalist #10, James Madison
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4035  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:44 PM
BuildUpWpg BuildUpWpg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Is that something that falls under the jurisdiction of the city? I get the feeling the province would have to allow that and we all know that won't happen under the current admin.
Exactly, just another example of how we are stuck in the dark ages.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4036  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:47 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
My biggest problem with them is, like mentioned before, they don't light up the sidewalks like the old ones. It's particularly noticeable on Portage Ave. between Sherbrook and St. Mary, all of downtown Broadway and North Main street from Higgins to Mountain Ave! They should attach sidewalk-side lamps to compensate IMO.
Was thinking the same thing. The red streetlights on Waterfront/The Forks are the best – high light above the street, and a lower one hanging over the sidewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The fact that they do not hurt your eyes does not negate the fact that they have a detrimental impacts on human circadian rhythm as well as on birds and other animals. Quite frankly, I find the selfishness of a certain generation born in the late 80s and the 90s to be appalling. There would appear to be a belief that there is an inherent right to do whatever one pleases and to hell with the impacts on others, such as booming car music no matter the time of day (or night), allowing dogs to bark unimpeded (as dogs are supposed to bark and it's so cute, right?), and altering motor vehicles so as to be heard from a mile or more away. I can not figure out why existing by-laws and laws under the HTA are not being enforced.

Street lighting should as much as possible approximate moonlight. Also, enough of the far too bright advertising signage which in recent years has been popping up all over the city. These signs are proven to damage the human retina and can temporarily blind drivers of motor vehicles.

And I sure hope the city has no plans to ever change the historic streetlights along many streets in River Heights and the West End
.
Lol too late for that. As some of the historic ones on blocks off Academy have died, they've replaced them with "faux historic" ones like the brutal new ones in Chinatown. Don't look anything like the existing ones, and are black instead of green. There's also a single one in front of 330 Main for some reason – that single block has 5 (FIVE) different street lights on one side.

Our city doesn't give two shits about aesthetics. Look at all the utilitarian street and traffic lights going up in the Exchange now – if they don't care about our most important jewel of a neighbourhood looking good, they aren't going to care about some measly residential area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4037  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 11:54 AM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,790
Interesting story about residents protesting a sidewalk being built on public property in front of their houses. I'm not sure if they realize how silly they sound arguing that this is a safely issue? How would this be more dangerous for kids than having no sidewalk? Kids should be forced to walk on the street in the name of safety? Let's be real, these folks are annoyed that they are loosing their extra long driveways, nothing more.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/transcona-residents-outraged-sidewalk-eltassi-1.4851547
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4038  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 12:44 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Interesting story about residents protesting a sidewalk being built on public property in front of their houses. I'm not sure if they realize how silly they sound arguing that this is a safely issue? How would this be more dangerous for kids than having no sidewalk? Kids should be forced to walk on the street in the name of safety? Let's be real, these folks are annoyed that they are loosing their extra long driveways, nothing more.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/transcona-residents-outraged-sidewalk-eltassi-1.4851547
I don't think there's much merit to their objections regarding the sidewalk itself, but it does sound like there was a bit of a communications breakdown here... they should have at least been informed of what was going to happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4039  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 12:52 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,790
True, the communication might have been better, but the original plan did call for a much wider AT path. Not sure if residents looked at that plan before buying. Too bad the original plan was scrapped, it would have made biking safer in that area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4040  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:52 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,365
The NIMBY's are out in force allover the City.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:24 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.