HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2461  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 2:52 AM
pblaauw pblaauw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 529
Does Steele Hotels have anything to do with Steele Auto Group?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2462  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 10:29 AM
ns_kid's Avatar
ns_kid ns_kid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Does Steele Hotels have anything to do with Steele Auto Group?
As far as I know, Steele Auto Group is controlled by Rob Steele; Steele Hotels by his brother John. As I understand it, the hotel chain was part of father Harry Steele's Newfoundland Capital Corporation, whose primary business line is broadcasting and communications. But NCC was sold earlier this year to Stingray Digital Media Group of Montreal. The press release makes no mention of Steele Hotels so I presume it was retained by the family.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2463  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 3:13 AM
pblaauw pblaauw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
As far as I know, Steele Auto Group is controlled by Rob Steele; Steele Hotels by his brother John. As I understand it, the hotel chain was part of father Harry Steele's Newfoundland Capital Corporation, whose primary business line is broadcasting and communications. But NCC was sold earlier this year to Stingray Digital Media Group of Montreal. The press release makes no mention of Steele Hotels so I presume it was retained by the family.
Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2464  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:17 AM
Corker Corker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 88
I got an email from Canada Lands Company:

Canada Lands Company is pleased to invite you to an information meeting regarding its 1557 Hollis Street property.

Join us to learn about Canada Lands, what it does and how it operates, as well as receive information regarding the upcoming engagement process for the redevelopment of the site. If you plan to attend we would appreciate notice through an RSVP at: [email protected]

Light refreshments will be served. Thank you.

MEETING LOCATION
• Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, 1496 Hollis Street, Compass Room
• September 19, 2018 from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2465  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 6:17 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,425
HRM's Alderney offices have a proposal information sign up for the Tramway Building. I didn't snap a picture, but it looks like the proposal is to add two glass floors on top and restore the concrete.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2466  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 7:29 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
HRM's Alderney offices have a proposal information sign up for the Tramway Building. I didn't snap a picture, but it looks like the proposal is to add two glass floors on top and restore the concrete.
The Tramway building is the sort of building most people probably don't appreciate much. It was designed by Andrew Cobb and built in 1916. It would have been modern looking for its day, similar to something like the central library in our era. It's the only building of its kind in the city. The "preventive maintenance" of a few years ago really ruined it.

I also like how Barrington is developing a taller streetwall of mostly narrow facades. This type of development is rare in Canada, and it is only happening today because of the planning regime in the area and the age of the block layout. Barrington is going to be more or less unique in a few years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2467  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:59 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,517
Sounds promising. I'm wondering what structural changes will have to be made to support the additional floors.

Restoring the concrete will be great as it has been left in a shabby condition for years. Would be nice if they removed the brick at the bottom floor which was added sometime in the '90s (I think) and restore the ground level to its original appearance, which I believe would be similar in appearance to this photo from the 1950s:


Source - Halifax Municipal Archives

A footnote regarding Andrew Cobb: I had no idea until I looked it up that he died as a result of a bus accident - a tragic end to such an accomplished life.

Quote:
He worked mainly in Nova Scotia and was busy until he was killed at the age of 68. He and three others were killed instantly when the city bus on which they were travelling was struck by a car.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_R._Cobb

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Sep 19, 2018 at 5:02 PM. Reason: Added footnote
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2468  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:16 AM
pblaauw pblaauw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 529
Ralston Building (1557 Hollis St.)

For anyone interested in the future of the Ralston building site at the corner of Hollis and Salter, Canada Lands Company has a website here. Not much detail given at the meeting, but the most interesting part was that they hope to start dismantling the building by next spring.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2469  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:22 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
For anyone interested in the future of the Ralston building site at the corner of Hollis and Salter, Canada Lands Company has a website here. Not much detail given at the meeting, but the most interesting part was that they hope to start dismantling the building by next spring.
Did they explain why they are demolishing it instead of incorporating it into a new development? Do they know what the new development will be yet, or are they demolishing before they have a plan?

The building has or had some sort of heritage designation. There were only so many 1950's office buildings in Halifax, and the Bank of Canada building next door has already been demolished. I think both demolitions are a mistake as far as the character of the city goes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2470  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:43 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The building has or had some sort of heritage designation. There were only so many 1950's office buildings in Halifax, and the Bank of Canada building next door has already been demolished. I think both demolitions are a mistake as far as the character of the city goes.
I do believe it's actually a federal heritage designation. I guess they can ignore / easily remove their own designation?

What I can't figure out is why they're bothering to consult on this at all. It's in the Downtown Plan Area. There are already modern planning rules that apply to the site. Since Canada Lands will be selling the site to a developer, do they intend to put some sort of restrictive covenant on the site that ties the developer to the consulted design??

It's not like Shannon Park where they'll be writing brand new planning rules for the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2471  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 4:39 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I do believe it's actually a federal heritage designation. I guess they can ignore / easily remove their own designation?
This still looks pretty bad though. One arm of the federal government puts plaques on the building and writes reports on why it's historically significant while another wants to tear it down.

Quote:
What I can't figure out is why they're bothering to consult on this at all. It's in the Downtown Plan Area. There are already modern planning rules that apply to the site. Since Canada Lands will be selling the site to a developer, do they intend to put some sort of restrictive covenant on the site that ties the developer to the consulted design??

It's not like Shannon Park where they'll be writing brand new planning rules for the site.
Many "consultations" are really just informational, or designed to let the locals let off steam before the original plan is executed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2472  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:55 PM
teddifax's Avatar
teddifax teddifax is offline
Halifax Promoter!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,115
I don't see anything worth saving with this building. It is UGLY!!! Plus, for years, they have had to have braces on the building, to prevent slabs from falling... I will be glad to see it go and hopefully replaced with an Architecturally significant building.... What would be the height restriction on this site?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2473  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:26 AM
ns_kid's Avatar
ns_kid ns_kid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 553
A Public Works manager told me at least seven years ago the property is worth more with the building gone. Unfortunately the cost of rehabilitating the Ralston Building will be far more than the structure is worth. Unlike the Armoury, any historical value here likely could not justify the expenditure of tax dollars.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2474  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 4:38 PM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
... What would be the height restriction on this site?
I took a look at the Land Use Bylaw... Zoned DH-1 (Downtown Halifax 1), in Precinct 4 - Lower Central Downtown, with pre-bonus maximum height of 51m and post-bonus 66m. I didn't take the time to sort out from where and to what the heights are measured.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2475  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:30 PM
Ziobrop's Avatar
Ziobrop Ziobrop is offline
armchairitect
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Halifax
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Sounds promising. I'm wondering what structural changes will have to be made to support the additional floors.

Restoring the concrete will be great as it has been left in a shabby condition for years. Would be nice if they removed the brick at the bottom floor which was added sometime in the '90s (I think) and restore the ground level to its original appearance, which I believe would be similar in appearance to this photo from the 1950s:


Source - Halifax Municipal Archives

A footnote regarding Andrew Cobb: I had no idea until I looked it up that he died as a result of a bus accident - a tragic end to such an accomplished life.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_R._Cobb
thats not quite correct. the bus he was on was hit by an overhanging part of an army truck on the bedford highway. the truck basically sideswiped the oncoming bus, and the truck bed sliced through the bus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2476  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:32 PM
Ziobrop's Avatar
Ziobrop Ziobrop is offline
armchairitect
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Halifax
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This still looks pretty bad though. One arm of the federal government puts plaques on the building and writes reports on why it's historically significant while another wants to tear it down.



Many "consultations" are really just informational, or designed to let the locals let off steam before the original plan is executed.
federal heritage designations only apply as long as the feds own it. once they divest it to Canada Lands, its no longer owned by the feds, and looses the designation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2477  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:45 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
thats not quite correct. the bus he was on was hit by an overhanging part of an army truck on the bedford highway. the truck basically sideswiped the oncoming bus, and the truck bed sliced through the bus.
Thanks Zio - so much for wikipedia...

I have a biography about him on my 'to do' reading list. Hope to get to it soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2478  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:46 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
federal heritage designations only apply as long as the feds own it. once they divest it to Canada Lands, its no longer owned by the feds, and looses the designation.
Not much teeth in those designations, then. I presume they only exist to inform passers-by of the significance of the building until it is torn down.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2479  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:32 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
I heard a rumor that Crombie Properties and HRM are having quiet discussions about a land swap that would see the city take the property upon which Crombie has the right to build their long-delayed tower at the end of Granville Mall, the so-called "Triangle" site. Anyone know more?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2480  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:41 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I took a look at the Land Use Bylaw... Zoned DH-1 (Downtown Halifax 1), in Precinct 4 - Lower Central Downtown, with pre-bonus maximum height of 51m and post-bonus 66m. I didn't take the time to sort out from where and to what the heights are measured.
Average grade at the street to the highest point on the roof. There are some exemptions for architectural embellishments, mechanical, etc. as long as they only cover a certain percentage of the roof.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:38 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.