HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:46 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
This thread has made it to 500 pages, and is closing in on 10,000 posts! Sometimes I can’t believe it, but I’ve read every single post in here. I look forward to seeing what happens in the next 500 pages, and/or in thread VII. Thanks for making this thread worth checking every day!
9983! Apologies I couldn't resist. I don't post much, but I check it daily also, and I appreciate all who provide all the content for it.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:51 PM

Cheetah

There was an article posted here fairly recently (last few months I thought) that said the Cheetah lot was absolutely not for sale. As much as I'd like to see it happen, I doubt NCR will be successful in gobbling up that property.

OTOH money talks.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
I'm certain they could have found a way to make their FAR higher if they really wanted to pursue this. It's also worth noting this parcel doesn't have a maximum height limit since it's in sub-area 1 of the Midtown SPI 16.

https://gis.atlantaga.gov/docs/zonin...eet_14-079.pdf

http://www.midtownatlanta.org/wp-con...-Committee.pdf
Yeah - why would this area by the interstate be height restricted!?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post
There was an article posted here fairly recently (last few months I thought) that said the Cheetah lot was absolutely not for sale. As much as I'd like to see it happen, I doubt NCR will be successful in gobbling up that property.

OTOH money talks.
Just need to make it rain serious dollars 😃 Actually that property is probably worth a ton of money, but I’d be shocked if they ever left. They are an asset to the city’s convention business...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:43 AM

Someone on here had a great idea that they should sell the lot to a apartment/condo developer to construct a 400-500 foot highrise, then put the Cheetah on the top 2 floors or so. Much better use of land and great views for the patrons of the Cheetah. We would also be able to block that ghasty parking deck of Alexan 880.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:43 AM

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-downtown.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...g-idea-to.html

Anyone on here have some inside info on the buzz around capping the connector between midtown and GT?

Some big names involved with this idea but really no details..

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Someone on here had a great idea that they should sell the lot to a apartment/condo developer to construct a 400-500 foot highrise, then put the Cheetah on the top 2 floors or so. Much better use of land and great views for the patrons of the Cheetah. We would also be able to block that ghasty parking deck of Alexan 880.
Yeah, that would be a pretty slick idea for the sale of it.

It constantly gets mentioned, but that property is so valuable now and they are turning out money almost every night, why would they close for any length of time unfortunately.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
I'm certain they could have found a way to make their FAR higher if they really wanted to pursue this. It's also worth noting this parcel doesn't have a maximum height limit since it's in sub-area 1 of the Midtown SPI 16.

https://gis.atlantaga.gov/docs/zonin...eet_14-079.pdf

http://www.midtownatlanta.org/wp-con...-Committee.pdf

Spring Street Patterson Funeral Home recently (at least publicly,"recently") granted historic site designation allowing them to sell earned but unusable development rights. if their parcels measure over 3 acres - which I believe it does - that designation could well be worth between $2 million for them on the very low side simply by signing paperwork. More likely, much more at stake.

More importantly, adding those rights to the already 10.2 FAR (or even lower FAR) of much of Midtown land, could yield a helluva tower(s) if a Norfolk Southern, Amazon, Home Depot? or other major employer(s) stepped up as willing to pay for that capacity.

Anyone know how to do the math as to how much office space - and floors - that could add if maxed out? Curious if a selling price for, say, $15 or so psf sounds reasonable.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 10:28 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
Spring Street Patterson Funeral Home recently (at least publicly,"recently") granted historic site designation allowing them to sell earned but unusable development rights. if their parcels measure over 3 acres - which I believe it does - that designation could well be worth between $2 million for them on the very low side simply by signing paperwork. More likely, much more at stake.

More importantly, adding those rights to the already 10.2 FAR (or even lower FAR) of much of Midtown land, could yield a helluva tower(s) if a Norfolk Southern, Amazon, Home Depot? or other major employer(s) stepped up as willing to pay for that capacity.

Anyone know how to do the math as to how much office space - and floors - that could add if maxed out? Curious if a selling price for, say, $15 or so psf sounds reasonable.
that's 1.3 million SF or roughly one BOA plaza, not including whatever they have on the lot they are building on in the first place and any extra from mixed-use and affordable housing.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:56 PM

Anyone else think it's time to increase the FAR limits in Midtown, or do away with them altogether?

I understand the incentivizing affordable housing, active uses, and greenspace angle. But it seems like they've led to a proliferation of cheap, 20-25 floor apartment buildings all running on the same formula. Time for a change imo.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Anyone else think it's time to increase the FAR limits in Midtown, or do away with them altogether?

I understand the incentivizing affordable housing, active uses, and greenspace angle. But it seems like they've led to a proliferation of cheap, 20-25 floor apartment buildings all running on the same formula. Time for a change imo.

That would make sense if you believe (or can confirm) these FAR caps have limited the heights developers have chosen for their projects. Personally I do not believe FAR caps have had any effect on current or past projects' height. I could be wrong.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
That would make sense if you believe (or can confirm) these FAR caps have limited the heights developers have chosen for their projects. Personally I do not believe FAR caps have had any effect on current or past projects' height. I could be wrong.
Someone just said earlier that NCR was capped because of it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:46 PM
Closed account

It's not Amazon HQ2, but still another modest score...

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to open office in Atlanta

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...en-office.html

Quote:
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) plans to open a satellite office in Atlanta, according to the Washington publication The Hill.

Acting CFPB Director Mick Mulvaney is seeking to open the regional office to host a small number of analysts and managers. The staffers would be moved from a CFPB office in near the bureau’s headquarters to a building in Atlanta owned by the General Services Administration.

The move is expected to take place within the next nine to 15 months, the official said.

The CFPB confirmed the planned move, telling The Hill that it will "align the Bureau with its regulatory partners that already have a regional presence in Atlanta" such as the Federal Reserve, Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Read the full story here.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Right, FAR and height don't correlate perfectly. But they do correlate. And I happen to want more of both.

And if developers aren't running up against the FAR requirements, then what's the point of them?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:07 PM

Selig Enterprises filed for this SAP/SPI today:

https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

Quote:
61 13th Street
Demolition of a two-story apartment building
This is on the block immediately to the east of 1105 West Peachtree. (The same block as the proposed SLS Hotel).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:51 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

The Sutton is going back to apartments.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSangha View Post
The Sutton is going back to apartments.
Edit: Found the source

https://atlanta.curbed.com/atlanta-d...ts-development

Last edited by arctk2014; Sep 20, 2018 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Selig Enterprises filed for this SAP/SPI today:

https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

This is on the block immediately to the east of 1105 West Peachtree. (The same block as the proposed SLS Hotel).
I hope they're not trying to do a third tower. I mean, they haven't even broken ground on 1105 yet.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I hope they're not trying to do a third tower. I mean, they haven't even broken ground on 1105 yet.
If they can swing it, I say more power to Selig. Walking around 14th street late at night west of crescent is like walking around no man's land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations