Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixx
I think that trend has already begun. Anecdotally, I know a number of ex- Torontonians who have moved to Ottawa for work and to have a reasonable cost of living. Both of my former roommates were from Toronto who moved for that exact reason.
|
What I find odd is the assumption that Torontonians who move to Ottawa are all looking to live that dense urban lifestyle. It blows my mind to read on here the happy assumption that all these Torontonians are going to densify Ottawa. I'm a Toronto transplant. Brought here because of government work. And in my circle of Toronto transplants, I'm the only one that chose a home close to transit. And the more kids my friends have, the further they move from the core and the larger their homes and more car-dependent their lifestyles.
In my experience, there are two kinds of people moving to Ottawa. The first group is brought to Ottawa by their career (usually public or military service). Their living preferences tend to be diverse. Usually more in line with age. The second group comes here by choice, actively seeking out opportunities in Ottawa.
And in my experience, a major driver for that second group to move is quality of life, which they often define as home ownership. They are far more likely to buy a gigantic McMansion in Stittsville than they are to get a condo at Bayview. And as the private sector in Ottawa grows, it's more the second group that is dominating than the first.
If Ottawa wants to build a truly compact, urban city that is less car-dependent, it's going to have to build that. Can't assume at all that new residents are going to push for that.
Will add, it's not just suburban growth that's a problem. I'm starting to see the shrinking condo syndrome in Ottawa. Whereas two bedrooms used to be ~1000 sqft a decade ago, new condos now have two bedrooms in ~800 sqft. This is the Toronto and Vancouver trend where they fit 2-3 bedrooms in < 800 sqft. Nobody is really talking about this in Ottawa. But this trend drives away a lot of families from urban living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixx
All this to say, phase 1 of LRT is the beginning of a solution as mentioned. It won't be until phase 2 until we see the real effects of peoples transpiration habits and whether they have changed or not. I have a positive outlook on the whole.
|
Not sure about the public's habit of releasing water from their bodies....

But I doubt transportation habits will change dramatically. We'll see ridership grow a bit. That's just natural after the end of construction. People that were inconvenienced by construction will return to taking transit. To truly reducing car dependence is going to take a reformulation of bus service. As others have noted here, feeder service are terrible in Ottawa. Modal share (especially outside peak) is not going to grow until that is fixed. But I also understand the city's dilemma. Hard to expand feeder service until they really improve system efficiency. And that requires LRT.