Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut
I've stood right under the Lansdowne section - you'll probably get more ear damage from a Cineplex preshow (I'm serious, the sound system is TOO effective).
Might be a different story if you're above the tracks, but again, nothing a transparent sound barrier can't fix.
We could build redundant tracks - so one of them can be repaired while the other one's in use - but I doubt we have the money for it.
|
Well, the elevated/underground debate is moot in Richmond, because tunneling is impossible due to the soil and water table. At the time of Canada Line (then RAV) planning, in fact, Richmond Council actually wanted the line to run AT GRADE, with human drivers overriding the automatic controls.
Now THAT would have been a clusterf**k of the highest order.
My two cents on the Canada Line is that elevated was the only real solution, given that the system was going to be automated. As for the 'who gets the view' debate, in a flat place like Richmond, anytime you get up above the ground, you're going to get a view of some kind. As a regular rider of the system, I'm glad that there's something to look at while riding the CL through Richmond.
Personally, I don't think that the guideway is particularly ugly or obtrusive. The fact that it runs generally N-S, in line with the view to the mountains means that blockage of that view is minimized.
The only real unfortunate part of the CL was the cost-cutting that resulted in short station platforms and the cut-and-cover (vs. TBM) on Cambie, that gave us the "slow screeching" around QE Park.