HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #11241  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:36 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,299
So... any single family rancher in Denver Colorado is taller than any Albertan skyscraper. Right.
     
     
  #11242  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:13 PM
GreenSPACE's Avatar
GreenSPACE GreenSPACE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,865
Looks like this is going ahead:

Reference ID: Job No 276602461-002
Description: To demolish an existing Commercial Use building and to construct a new eleven (11) Storey mixed-use building (Basement and Main Floor: Commercial Uses, Floors 2-11: 34 Dwelling Apartment House). (The Wedge Building)
Location: 10344 - JASPER AVENUE NW
Plan NB Blk 3 Lot 157
Applicant: HOLO - BLOK ARCHITECTURE INC.
Status: Intake - Payment Required
Create Date: 7/24/2018 3:33:59 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
__________________
"A great city is not to be confounded with a populous one." - Aristotle
     
     
  #11243  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 6:30 PM
kcantor kcantor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
So... any single family rancher in Denver Colorado is taller than any Albertan skyscraper. Right.
higher but not taller...
__________________
"If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee
     
     
  #11244  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 7:08 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
What to make of this "Calgary and Edmonton in buyers' markets, but that's where the similarities end"

Does this mean growth is stronger in Edmonton or just that developers are building more inventory.

https://calgaryherald.com/life/homes/new...ets-but-thats-where-the-similarities-end
     
     
  #11245  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 7:44 PM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is online now
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 14,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
higher but not taller...
• Video Link
__________________
The Colour Green
     
     
  #11246  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 12:41 AM
s13 s13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 242
Walked by the library today... it looks awful, I think it would be more architecturally interesting if it was designed as a giant metal clad poop emoji at least to represent what it is.
     
     
  #11247  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 5:22 AM
Rogie's Avatar
Rogie Rogie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 433
AIMCo announced yesterday they are going ahead with the redevelopment, inside and out, of HSBC Bank Place on 101 St.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/ai...opment-of-hsbc-bank-place-689260521.html

The release has some interesting tidbits :
- class AA building
- new glazing and new mechanical and electrical
- targetting LEED gold
- revitalized 2-storey lobby

AIMCo says Q2 2018 has seen the absorbtion of more than 261 000 sq ft. in Edmonton, "the best quarter for tenant activity in over 20 years."

Redevelopment expected to conclude by the end of 2019.


Source : AIMCo release
     
     
  #11248  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 8:39 AM
MichaelC's Avatar
MichaelC MichaelC is offline
Unregistered User :(
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
So... any single family rancher in Denver Colorado is taller than any Albertan skyscraper. Right.
And Stantec is taller than the Burj Khalifa
     
     
  #11249  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:28 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,128
^^great to see and I like how the parkade will be included in this. Simple, modern.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #11250  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:31 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Very elegant, and agree with Ian: simple and modern. It will stand the test of time.
     
     
  #11251  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 6:11 PM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Well well....great to see. And a aggressive redevelopment target date.
     
     
  #11252  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 6:15 PM
itom 987's Avatar
itom 987 itom 987 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,086
Lipstick on a pig for the parkade, I was hoping they would add CRUs on the main floor.
     
     
  #11253  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 6:36 PM
Vixx Vixx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wild Rose Country/Worst Case Ontario
Posts: 398
I stated my opinion in the Canada section (I like the renovation overall just wish the parkade would've been transformed to host retail on the ground floor).

Does anyone know who are the main tenants at HSBC bank place right now (beyond HSBC obviously)?

It seems like they have some potential tenant(s) in mind who they are actively trying to pursue if they are completely gutting this building from top to bottom and seeking LEED gold certification.
     
     
  #11254  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 7:06 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Very elegant, and agree with Ian: simple and modern. It will stand the test of time.
Count me in. I quite like the building concept.

I am not so sure about the parkade though. As mentioned by item 987, cru's with a coffee shop and maybe dry-clean pickup - drop off or some other small counter stores would have animated the street. How the parkade design will unfold at the entrance to the mall and hotel will be interesting ... I hope the other parkade adopts the same design detail so that both parkades look somewhat cohesive. City Centre Mall will look like a tired old lady now.
     
     
  #11255  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 9:16 PM
B.ike's Avatar
B.ike B.ike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 308

DSC09010
by b/c, on Flickr


DSC08997
by b/c, on Flickr


DSC09001
by b/c, on Flickr
     
     
  #11256  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 9:39 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
[QUOTE=B.ike;8265197]

DSC08997
by b/c, on Flickr [QUOTE]

Is that steel on the roof an increase on the height of Stantec? It looks bigger than I thought for 2 mechanical floors.
     
     
  #11257  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 10:34 PM
MichaelC's Avatar
MichaelC MichaelC is offline
Unregistered User :(
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 143
^a crown?
     
     
  #11258  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:05 PM
ExcaliburKid's Avatar
ExcaliburKid ExcaliburKid is offline
Derp
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
I stated my opinion in the Canada section (I like the renovation overall just wish the parkade would've been transformed to host retail on the ground floor).

Does anyone know who are the main tenants at HSBC bank place right now (beyond HSBC obviously)?

It seems like they have some potential tenant(s) in mind who they are actively trying to pursue if they are completely gutting this building from top to bottom and seeking LEED gold certification.
Last I saw, most of the building is empty, I think only 7-8 floors are occupied, maybe less? Not sure about who the tenants are though
If I recall, as they restack the floors, leases are either being terminated or not renewed, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong
     
     
  #11259  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 7:39 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,128
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #11260  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 8:52 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Last I saw, most of the building is empty, I think only 7-8 floors are occupied, maybe less? Not sure about who the tenants are though
If I recall, as they restack the floors, leases are either being terminated or not renewed, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong
Someone with access to Altus' Edmonton office inventory tracking might be able to shed some light. I don't, unfortunately.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:08 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.