HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8581  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:41 PM
arctk2014 arctk2014 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
That's not a spire - that's a Nubbin. It's like saying my French bulldog, WT, has a tail. She doesn't have a tail, she has a nubbin.
The word you're looking for here is turret.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8582  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:49 PM
Neighbor Neighbor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That looks a lot better than before. I do wish they could maybe add a spire at the top corner just to add some sophistication.
Agreed, this is an improvement, but almost anything would be an improvement from what it was. This still looks cheap and out of place among the other historic buildings near the Fox. This could use some detailed wall ornamentation at pedestrian level like its neighbors and certainly some type of spire/crown/turret on top would certainly help as well. Just because its an improvement does not mean that it is satisfactory.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8583  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:50 PM
Atlanta3000 Atlanta3000 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buckhead
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
The word you're looking for here is turret.
Actually the technical term is finial. You are an architect arctk2014...correct?

Updated:https://www.google.com/search?q=definiti...VHulMKHTPLCykQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1409&bih=1196

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8584  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:52 PM
Atlanta3000 Atlanta3000 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buckhead
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Ok, well with that kind of response you can make any suggestion ridiculous.
PTizzy - stick around, I am equal opportunity offender.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8585  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:59 PM
arctk2014 arctk2014 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Actually the technical term is finial. You are an architect arctk2014...correct?

Updated:https://www.google.com/search?q=definiti...VHulMKHTPLCykQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1409&bih=1196


While the previous example was a turret with a finial, I believe the previous commenter was inferring the use of a turret to create a visual peak in lieu of a modern spire. They weren't simply referring to the decorative finial/lightning rod on top.

https://www.amazon.com/Visual-Dictionary-Architecture-Francis-Ching/dp/0470648856

Please see below for visual reference.


FINIAL



TURRET

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8586  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:15 PM
Atlanta3000 Atlanta3000 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buckhead
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
While the previous example was a turret with a finial, I believe the previous commenter was inferring the use of a turret to create a visual peak in lieu of a modern spire. They weren't simply referring to the decorative finial/lightning rod on top.
Nope - nobody except you mentioned turret and now you condescendingly proceed to school me on the subject of finials for which I correctly identified as the architectural element Ant131531 illustrated in his example.

Arctk2014 you have a line of — a mile long - chico. Fortunately I am all stocked up on bs for the week already and I am not going to have it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8587  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:19 PM
MdtwnATL MdtwnATL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobguy View Post
https://www.atlantaga.gov/Home/Components/News/News/11609/672
New design for the new hotel besides the fox.
Still not impressed. They should be asked to try again and should not be allowed to screw up that corner. Do it right or go away.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8588  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:23 PM
arctk2014 arctk2014 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Nope - nobody except you mentioned turret and now you condescendingly proceed to school me on the subject of finials for which I correctly identified as the architectural element Ant131531 illustrated in his example.

Arctk2014 you have a line of — a mile long - chico. Fortunately I am all stocked up on bs for the week already and I am not going to have it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm talking something like this:



I think it would work really well with the material they're using, but I still like the new design...very classy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Agreed, this is an improvement, but almost anything would be an improvement from what it was. This still looks cheap and out of place among the other historic buildings near the Fox. This could use some detailed wall ornamentation at pedestrian level like its neighbors and certainly some type of spire/crown/turret on top would certainly help as well. Just because its an improvement does not mean that it is satisfactory.
Looks like a turret (with a finial), smells like a turret (with a finial)...must be a turret (with a finial). I'll let you (and others) be the judge on what was communicated previously as quoted above.

You sure do get worked up easily over semantics and claiming half-truths as absolute truths. But anyway, life's too short to be hostile on here.


Hope you enjoy the rest of your day. I'm sure the moderators will delete these string of comments and your irrational hostility once again.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8589  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:28 PM
Atlanta3000 Atlanta3000 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buckhead
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
Looks like a turret (with a finial), smells like a turret (with a finial)...must be a turret (with a finial). I'll let you (and others) be the judge on what was communicated previously as quoted above.

You sure do get worked up easily over semantics and claiming half-truths as absolute truths. But anyway, life's too short to be hostile on here.


Hope you enjoy the rest of your day. I'm sure the moderators will delete these string of comments and your irrational hostility once again.
Ant131531's photo example was to illustrate what he perceived to be a spire. I jokingly called it a Nubbin. Then you called it a turret and I finally responded with the correct term ...FINIAL. Don't rewrite history.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8590  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:51 PM
Verge Verge is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Spires on building less than 30 stories just look ridiculous. Maybe a glass triangle similar to the proposed Baccarat hotel in Buckhead. Actually this proposal would have been a perfect fit for this site.

Now that is truly hideous!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8591  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:55 PM
Verge Verge is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Thanks for the link!
[The Fox Design] Much better, not brilliant, but much better--
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8592  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:57 PM
MARTAisSmarta MARTAisSmarta is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
[The Fox Design] Much better, not brilliant, but much better--
I agree. Huge improvement. It may not be an iconic building, but not everything ever will be. Hopefully it looks as good from the other 3 angles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8593  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:39 PM
daharris80's Avatar
daharris80 daharris80 is offline
Development Spectator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
I agree. Huge improvement. It may not be an iconic building, but not everything ever will be. Hopefully it looks as good from the other 3 angles.
I still wonder whether its the finial design. When its completed I'll make sure to turret and see for myself.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8594  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:41 PM
arctk2014 arctk2014 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
I still wonder whether its the finial design. When its completed I'll make sure to turret and see for myself.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8595  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:51 PM
Username123 Username123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
I still wonder whether its the finial design. When its completed I'll make sure to turret and see for myself.
All this talk has reminded me of something interesting. The layers of gold leaf that cover the dome of the Georgia State Capitol building are only 1/300th of an inch thick. For comparison, this is the same thickness as Atlanta3000's skin.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8596  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:02 PM
Atlanta3000 Atlanta3000 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buckhead
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
All this talk has reminded me of something interesting. The layers of gold leaf that cover the dome of the Georgia State Capitol building are only 1/300th of an inch thick. For comparison, this is the same thickness as Atlanta3000's skin.
Yeah it is about the thickness of the skin on my @$$ - which you can ki$$.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8597  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:06 PM
Atlanta3000 Atlanta3000 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buckhead
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
Nice try arctk2014 or shall I say USERNAME123....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8598  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:40 PM
arctk2014 arctk2014 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Nice try arctk2014 or shall I say USERNAME123....
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I can truly attest that is not me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8599  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:55 PM
MARTAisSmarta MARTAisSmarta is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 263
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news...ials-hotel-project-by-midtown-s-fox.html
Quote:
In March, the city’s Department of City Planning began working with Noble to hone the design to respect the historic intersection. It resulted in a new façade design for the hotel, based on recommendations from the Midtown Alliance.

“It is critically important that Atlanta expect more from its designers and more of its buildings,” City Planning Commissioner Tim Keane said in a media release.

“Zoning can only take you so far,” he added. “Regulations don’t make great buildings, only design can do that. We intend to work in a productive way with developers like we did with Noble to improve the architecture in all of Atlanta.”
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8600  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:58 PM
daharris80's Avatar
daharris80 daharris80 is offline
Development Spectator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
All this talk has reminded me of something interesting. The layers of gold leaf that cover the dome of the Georgia State Capitol building are only 1/300th of an inch thick. For comparison, this is the same thickness as Atlanta3000's skin.
That's an interesting take from someone who created a burner account just to post that shot. You are who you aSPIRE to be.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:25 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.