Not sure if anyone saw but Singleton’s recently rebranded as Singleton’s Hair Co. and is trying to be very hipster now. They’re opening this summer in one of the main floor CRUs in the District Condos building on Market - just down from Prairie Architects.
Opinions of the business aside (lol) it’s a good sign the a bigger chain is moving down there. They could stay afloat of SkipTheDishes alone hahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking
Yeah. I think it’s a rule isn’t it? A friend of mine is one of the Nonsuch guys and he said they are not interested in opening a restaurant.
To me that would be fatal. The restaurant business is something completely different than the brewing biz. Pretty high rates of failure. Hard enough to get one to succeed. Never mind both.
That was the issue I had with Peg. Food wasn’t really special enough to get me there for dinner and the atmosphere was not a pub, or somewhere I would go just for beers. If I wanted beer I’d go to a pub. If I wanted dinner I’d go to a better restaurant.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital
Was at Torque's taproom recently. Was not upset that they just had popcorn and snacks. I wanted to try their beer, not have a meal.
|
This is all fair but with PEG they just didn’t know how to run a business, especially of that type. They put themselves into huge debt early on by going all-in on equipment from the start instead of scaling up slowly like most others. Also every time I was there the service was horrific, and it doesn’t help when the owner has previously burned a ton of bridges in the industry.
There are a ton of examples of brewpubs everywhere, including here that do exceptionally well. Dave, no one is forcing you to eat at a brewpub.
Just wanna clarify I think taprooms are awesome, but brewpubs are definitely possible to work well too haha.