HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10481  
Old Posted May 31, 2018, 6:32 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
This has to be one of the sharper designs we’ve seen on here.
It's ok. I prefer the Alexander or 500 Walnut (which has grown on me). This looks like a Parkway special but in glass and with a few bells and whistles. Similar designs elsewhere in the city too on a larger scale. Like 39th and Market: https://www.google.com/maps/place/3800+M...36df20e79!8m2!3d39.9567739!4d-75.1954316

But it's really nice to see some new construction on the Parkway and these look like theyll be pretty luxe.
     
     
  #10482  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:32 AM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Actually he did make a presentation to the immediate neighbors and had also attended at least one of the meetings conducted by the previous would-be developer. The neighbors are largely in favor from what I see in local facebook groups, although some of that may be due to hyped up fears of falling bricks.

As far as building 'by-rights' – NOPE! This end of Washington Avenue is virtually all zoned I-2 (Industrial). The Planning Commission, under the new zoning code, has officially recommended remapping to IRMX (Industrial Residential Mixed Use), but Councilman Johnson has expressed a total lack of interest in introducing the requisite remapping legislation. So variances will be needed for this project.
Thanks for the info about the need for zoning. But in a way that just adds to my frustration in that the demo is going ahead before there are any specific approved plans.
     
     
  #10483  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:23 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
Fiebush and co. are eyeing the next block:
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/te...m_email=7438f942161e7255443174b4e7ae616a

This is an example where I might prefer a developer who builds a better product, but I have no problem with Feibush doing his 'tear down the old' dance at this location. I just wish he would have done this first and let somebody else save the Frankford building
     
     
  #10484  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 11:10 PM
Jayfar's Avatar
Jayfar Jayfar is offline
Midrise
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Fiebush and co. are eyeing the next block:
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/te...m_email=7438f942161e7255443174b4e7ae616a

This is an example where I might prefer a developer who builds a better product, but I have no problem with Feibush doing his 'tear down the old' dance at this location. I just wish he would have done this first and let somebody else save the Frankford building
Same. Ori told me about this one when I spoke with him a couple weeks ago. Notice I haven't made a ruckus about it though. Is some interesting history, underneath the stucco crust. Belmont Iron Works. They went on to build a larger plant in Eddystone, while continuing to operate on Washington Avenue. The Eddystone plant closed in 1971, I'm not sure when the Philly plant closed.

http://www.oldchesterpa.com/belmont_iron.htm

https://www.phillyhistory.org/PhotoArchive/Detail.aspx?assetId=7971

__________________
Philadelphia Industrial & Commercial Heritage
A public Facebook group to promote appreciation of Greater Philadelphia's industrial and commercial history and advocate for historic preservation and adaptive re-use.

Last edited by Jayfar; Jun 1, 2018 at 11:42 PM.
     
     
  #10485  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 11:24 PM
Nova08 Nova08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 518
Why these biotech startups are facing a 550% rent hike
https://technical.ly/philly/2018/05/31/s...on-center-group-k-diagnostics-rent-hike/

Quote:
The way CEO Briana Wronko sees it, the University City Science Center and Boston-based Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC) are effectively kicking her and her company out.

Wronko’s Group K Diagnostics, currently based out of the Science Center’s lab space at 3624 Market St., is faced with three options come December when the nonprofit will shutter its lab spaces amid a shift in focus: Either move its operations to the suburbs, sign up for a long waiting list at the Pennovation Center, or swallow a 550 percent rent hike to move to the 3675 Market location, where the lab spaces will be run by Kendall Square, Mass.-based BioLabs. (BioLabs will manage the labs on behalf of CIC.)

According to documents provided by Wronko, moving into the 3675 Market development would be costly: Rent would go from $1,800 a month for a private lab to $10,000 a month inside BioLabs.

The company, Wronko said, is offering discounts to the 17 companies based out of both Science Center locations, but only for those that accept shared spaces. FDA protocols call for her company, makers of a point-of-care diagnostics platform, to have a private center of operations.

“We came to the Science Center and found a home there,” Wronko, a 21-year-old Penn grad, said. “I’ve been in Philly forever and didn’t want to leave. We were aware of the new building and we were told that rent would go up a little bit. We were initially told less than 200 percent but now we see it’s over 550 percent”

For CIC cofounder Dougan Sherwood, pitting the two prices against each other is not a viable comparison.

“Our models are so different,” Sherwood told Technical.ly. “We will be charging an all-inclusive per-person membership fee, which will include full access and privileges to all common amenities, including all of our scientific equipment, instrumentation, and services.”

Sherwood, who is based out of Cambridge, Mass., told Technical.ly that the company is currently looking at ways to facilitate the move for companies based out of the Science Center.

“We think we’re adding value into the market in a way very few organizations could and that’s because of our partnership with BioLabs,” Sherwood said.

Earlier this year, CEO Steve Tang stepped down form the 50-year-old West Philly nonprofit to join Bethlehem, Pa.-based OraSure Technologies. Last week, as part of its new focus, the Science Center launched a $3-million campaign to expand its programming offerings ahead of the relocation to 3675.

“Like the startups we support, we are constantly evolving our business model,” said Kristen Fitch, senior media relations manager at the Science Center. “With CIC managing shared office and lab space in 3675 Market, the Science Center will be able to focus on what we do best, developing and delivering programming and support to help startups commercialize their technologies.”

Fitch told Technical.ly that the Science Center has been working with its resident companies one-on-one to help them understand their options and make the transition as smooth as possible.

“All of our startup incubator residents are at different stages and have different needs,” Fitch said. “We understand that some may decide not to move into CIC’s space at 3675 Market — and none are obligated to do so. Thankfully, there are more options in the region than there have been in the past.”

Technical.ly reached out to ten companies based out of either 3624 or 3711 Market St. Three declined to comment, two others did not immediately return voicemail messages and emails and one did not respond to emails sent. Wronko suggested more companies from the Science Center location feared “retaliation” from BioLabs. She also sent letters to local media outlets (like Technical.ly) and reached out to city officials and institutions like Ben Franklin Technology Partners to make them aware of the impact some startups are facing.

AUM Life Tech CEO Veenu Aishwarya, who takes up non-lab office space at 3711 Market, did respond to a call and said the was still grappling with the decision to move into 3675.

“I don’t know about the other companies, but for us it’s not the ideal, rent-wise,” Aishwarya said. “The Science Center has a fantastic place here and it’s sad that it’s shutting down.”

It sounds like Philly could be going through a little bit of a transition for start ups. But this seems like an interesting move and the supply / demand curve for start up lab space seems to be out of balance towards the demand side. Yet proposed buildings with lab space are moving at a snails space.
     
     
  #10486  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 12:25 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Why these biotech startups are facing a 550% rent hike
https://technical.ly/philly/2018/05/31/s...on-center-group-k-diagnostics-rent-hike/




It sounds like Philly could be going through a little bit of a transition for start ups. But this seems like an interesting move and the supply / demand curve for start up lab space seems to be out of balance towards the demand side. Yet proposed buildings with lab space are moving at a snails space.
Yeah, not really seeing why this demand shouldn't lead to U City Square being promptly built out. Unless they want to charge higher rents too...
     
     
  #10487  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:01 AM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
44th & Chestnut St.

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/5/31/1741...ty-city-orens-development-housing-retail

This looks like 🞵🞵🞵🞵. I can't see any reason for this being built, except to make the owners money. Nothing positive at all. The best the developers can come up with is something like better sidewalks make for a better City. BS


I can imagine some will say that it will add density----so would 30 story apartment building. There are several empty lots within a block of this site, if increased density is some magic pill then fill in the missing pieces first.


This area of Walnut and Chestnut St.'s is really going downhill fast with all the junk that has gone up, is being built and planned. Its almost like there is a contest to see who can put up the sorriest looking project possible. And we might have a winner with this one.


Since we've recently talked about Feibush I'll say his projects, which are mostly 'for sale' projects, are gold plated in comparison to most of what has gone up in UC recently.
     
     
  #10488  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:33 PM
PHLJD13 PHLJD13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 170
LOVE it, or hate it, LOVE Park is "officially" opened by the City

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/5/30/17410456/renovations-love-park-kenney-philly-sculpture

"...plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit."
     
     
  #10489  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:57 PM
JurassicPhilly JurassicPhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 146
Has anyone been to the new Love Park? If so can you give us your impressions? I hope there isn't too much concrete. I feel like that has been a consistent design issue for public spaces in the city.
     
     
  #10490  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 4:03 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicPhilly View Post
Has anyone been to the new Love Park? If so can you give us your impressions? I hope there isn't too much concrete. I feel like that has been a consistent design issue for public spaces in the city.
I have. Plenty of hardscape but good amount of plants including trees and some shrubs. Decent grass area. Good seating. Overall, I think it is very nice. Ties in the area well with the surrounding highrises and a straight shot look down the parkway. See my photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128450769@N08/
     
     
  #10491  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 5:11 PM
blart's Avatar
blart blart is offline
Fishtown & Country
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 567
Friday, 5/1 in Old City

The National-




Arch, between 2nd & 3rd-

     
     
  #10492  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:08 PM
JurassicPhilly JurassicPhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I have. Plenty of hardscape but good amount of plants including trees and some shrubs. Decent grass area. Good seating. Overall, I think it is very nice. Ties in the area well with the surrounding highrises and a straight shot look down the parkway. See my photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128450769@N08/
Hey thanks man. Very nice pictures. It does look nice though there is a lot of hardscape. I just don't know why this consistently happens with public spaces in Philly. I hope it's more lush in person than Dilworth Park, which in my view has way too much concrete.
     
     
  #10493  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:41 PM
iamrobk iamrobk is offline
Future World Dictator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,799
New Love Park reminds me a lot of Dilworth. If you like Dilworth, you'll almost certainly like Love Park, IMO (and vice-versa). Only complaint I have is that the trees really need to grow more to add some shade, but nothing we can really do about that.
     
     
  #10494  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 11:48 PM
JurassicPhilly JurassicPhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
New Love Park reminds me a lot of Dilworth. If you like Dilworth, you'll almost certainly like Love Park, IMO (and vice-versa). Only complaint I have is that the trees really need to grow more to add some shade, but nothing we can really do about that.
Yeah maybe the trees need to grow in a bit. It will look better then. I just don't get all the hardspace. Not anti union, but is it a union thing? Where certain workers demand a certain amount of work per project? Totally speculating there, I don't even know if those projects were unionized. . But the hard spaces are just so prevalent. I mean Penn's landing just looks terrible in my opinion. It's like a giant flying monster 🞵🞵🞵🞵 concrete all over the place.
     
     
  #10495  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 2:46 AM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: South Philly
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicPhilly View Post
Yeah maybe the trees need to grow in a bit. It will look better then. I just don't get all the hardspace. Not anti union, but is it a union thing? Where certain workers demand a certain amount of work per project? Totally speculating there, I don't even know if those projects were unionized. . But the hard spaces are just so prevalent. I mean Penn's landing just looks terrible in my opinion. It's like a giant flying monster 🞵🞵🞵🞵 concrete all over the place.
I think it's more of a practicality thing. Love Park is a highly trafficked area. If three were more grass it would crowd pedestrians into smaller spaces, or the grass would get trampled. Probably both. Giving people plenty of space to walk, take pictures, etc. is really a necessity for a park like that. Same for Dilworth Plaza.
     
     
  #10496  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:24 PM
eixample eixample is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 439
The grass lawn at dilworth doesn't really add much in my opinion. I don't think the hardscaping at dilworth or love park are a bad thing. You can go to any city in Europe and see vibrant public places with no lawns or other extensive green spaces. It really is about getting people to use the park and often that has little to do with the park design.
     
     
  #10497  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 4:18 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I have. Plenty of hardscape but good amount of plants including trees and some shrubs. Decent grass area. Good seating. Overall, I think it is very nice. Ties in the area well with the surrounding highrises and a straight shot look down the parkway. See my photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128450769@N08/
Great pics!
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today and it ain't civilized.
     
     
  #10498  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 12:52 AM
iamrobk iamrobk is offline
Future World Dictator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I think it's more of a practicality thing. Love Park is a highly trafficked area. If three were more grass it would crowd pedestrians into smaller spaces, or the grass would get trampled. Probably both. Giving people plenty of space to walk, take pictures, etc. is really a necessity for a park like that. Same for Dilworth Plaza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
The grass lawn at dilworth doesn't really add much in my opinion. I don't think the hardscaping at dilworth or love park are a bad thing. You can go to any city in Europe and see vibrant public places with no lawns or other extensive green spaces. It really is about getting people to use the park and often that has little to do with the park design.
I agree with these posts pretty much 100%. It's nice to sit in over the summer months, but does anyone actually miss the grass at Dilworth over the winter? I don't. And I think too much more grass at Love Part would just crowd people into the 'plaza' areas more. I have to walk from the NW corner of Love Park to the SE corner a fair amount and it's already proving to be...interesting to get around the fountain now that it's turned on haha.
     
     
  #10499  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 2:04 AM
SEFTA's Avatar
SEFTA SEFTA is offline
Philly Pholly
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,289
The amount of pavement doesn't bother. It trends towards an Italian piazza that generally is all pavement and little, if any, trees. It's a busy place. I like the fountains and what I call the big smudge, the giant area of gray pavement. That and the built in sculpted seating along it, as well as the flying saucer seem to be the highlights.
It feels like they have the right amount of grass, trees and seating areas. What bothers me is the layout seems like all these were components that are clumsily stapled together. The landscaping reminds me of my mothers vegetable garden, all in their little plots. It just lacks little tags.
I will call it a success as it does have all the components desired, if only crammed together. What scares me is I believe they're to do Penn's Landing park and in that rendering shows dozens of long little plots. I just don't know about that. Very stagnant.
     
     
  #10500  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 1:18 PM
Boku Boku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 770
I think the hardscaping in the park was designed to make it easier to hold larger events.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:39 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.