HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7521  
Old Posted May 21, 2018, 9:46 PM
Monolith's Avatar
Monolith Monolith is offline
Pacific Breeze
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern British Columbia
Posts: 1,234
     
     
  #7522  
Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:20 PM
isaidso isaidso is online now
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Well, Hong Kong does have all those mountains bisecting the city...
Are they easily accessible to the masses or just there as a backdrop?
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT
     
     
  #7523  
Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:25 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
You'd still look crazy canoeing in the Harbour, though.

Then again, this may be related to cities like Toronto and Edmonton not being big destinations for oceangoing vessels and container ships. Hard to imagine paddling around the Narrows in Halifax, or Vancouver Harbour, or even smaller ports like Saint John.
I still find it crazy to canoe in the inner harbour of Toronto.
     
     
  #7524  
Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:26 PM
isaidso isaidso is online now
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Hard to imagine paddling around the Narrows in Halifax, or Vancouver Harbour, or even smaller ports like Saint John.
Yet not hard at all to imagine paddling on the Northwest Arm or False Creek.

False Creek, Vancouver

Courtesy of Tourism Vancouver

Northwest Arm, Halifax

Courtesy of urbanadventures
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT
     
     
  #7525  
Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:31 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138




@ianoyeg
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7526  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:40 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,936
I took these pictures today on this wonderful afternoon.



__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 9 050 000
MONTREAL METRO ==> 4 600 000
QUEBEC CITY METRO ==> 900 000
     
     
  #7527  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:00 AM
MTLskyline's Avatar
MTLskyline MTLskyline is offline
The good old days are now
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,258
Some of those Griffintown buildings are quite hideous.. Still better than what was there before.
__________________
Montreal Skyline Photo Group
     
     
  #7528  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:05 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Some of those Griffintown buildings are quite hideous.. Still better than what was there before.
And still better than Laval.

Ahem. except Les Jardins Windsor. Ahem.
That one belongs to Chomedey.
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 9 050 000
MONTREAL METRO ==> 4 600 000
QUEBEC CITY METRO ==> 900 000
     
     
  #7529  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:05 AM
GeneralLea's Avatar
GeneralLea GeneralLea is offline
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 5,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I still find it crazy to canoe in the inner harbour of Toronto.
I concur....personally I find it much more pleasurable for someone to have a motor or sailboat instead, the conditions on Lake Ontario can be fairly unwelcoming for a canoe-user or a person kayaking.
__________________
"Living life on the edge"
     
     
  #7530  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:19 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
You'd still look crazy canoeing in the Harbour, though.

Then again, this may be related to cities like Toronto and Edmonton not being big destinations for oceangoing vessels and container ships. Hard to imagine paddling around the Narrows in Halifax, or Vancouver Harbour, or even smaller ports like Saint John.
Kayaks aren't that rare in Halifax harbour. There are organized kayaking tours that go around the harbour and you can camp on the harbour islands. The harbour islands are quite interesting to visit.
     
     
  #7531  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:48 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
Downtown Vancouver, May 19 '18, my pic



Downtown South, Vancouver, May 14 '18, my pic



Downtown Vancouver, May 19 '18, my pic



Downtown South, Vancouver, May 19 '18, my pic



Downtown Vancouver as seen from Fairview Slopes, May 19 '18, my pic
     
     
  #7532  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:33 AM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Are they easily accessible to the masses or just there as a backdrop?
One of the best apsects of Hong Kong is the easily accesssible nature. Last time I was there I hiked Dragon's Back mountain and the trailhead was a 10 min bus ride from a metro station. There are also parks with dense jungle as well as many beaches within the city limits.
     
     
  #7533  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:57 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
wow that area has really perked up. It was quite barren (mostly fast food joints with parking lots) with very little pedestrian traffic back when I moved to Fairview Slopes (1994).
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #7534  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:21 PM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
     
     
  #7535  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:31 PM
905er's Avatar
905er 905er is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,417
that Hamilton view never seems to change. been the same view for decades now. Is the Hamilton Hammer still happening?.. I'd love to see a new tower emerge from that view.
     
     
  #7536  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:41 PM
megadude megadude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: N. York/Bram/Mark/Sauga/Burl/Oak/DT
Posts: 3,681
Like the Burlington pic. I'm a fan of DT Burlington because it has some old charm mixed in with some modern amenities. I lived in typical suburban east side of Burl between Walkers and Appleby for 1.5 years. But definitely would have preferred DT or somewhere in the Escarpment.

However, I see those signs now protesting the building of more high rise condos. If I lived in a quiet, tree-lined street, with that small town feeling, I think I'd feel the same way. But it comes with the territory.
     
     
  #7537  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:51 PM
megadude megadude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: N. York/Bram/Mark/Sauga/Burl/Oak/DT
Posts: 3,681
Took this pic from the 20th floor of a building I had to visit. Terrible pic through window. Would have been better if I was on a slight angle. But whatever.

Can any TO guys guess the intersection it was taken from?


     
     
  #7538  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:04 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
A fuzzy morning view.


@matt_town9
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7539  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:30 PM
Boris2k7's Avatar
Boris2k7 Boris2k7 is offline
Majestic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11,960
__________________
"The only thing that gets me through our winters is the knowledge that they're the only thing keeping us free of giant ass spiders." -MonkeyRonin

Flickr
     
     
  #7540  
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 4:43 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Took this pic from the 20th floor of a building I had to visit. Terrible pic through window. Would have been better if I was on a slight angle. But whatever.

Can any TO guys guess the intersection it was taken from?


I'd be embarassed for the Toronto forumer that couldn't name the intersection.they should be able to name the building too.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.