HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley


    Altus at Solo District in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1161  
Old Posted May 12, 2018, 5:24 AM
EggetteMan EggetteMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
I totally agree. Diversity is totally universal. I for one being a Cantonese doesn't like to see so many rich self center Mandarin living in one area. That alone would create another mini Richmond in itself. Most Local Cantonese are totally Canadian or try to be one while the Mandarin with their daddy's money flashes their fancy cars and everything else money can buy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1162  
Old Posted May 12, 2018, 5:35 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,140
$1000-1200 for Brents? HAHA...

Truly and unimaginably stupid.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1163  
Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:54 PM
GilmoreStation GilmoreStation is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
$1000-1200 for Brents? HAHA...

Truly and unimaginably stupid.
$1000-$1200 is an understatement.. I'll be paying close to $1300/sqft after taxes at closing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1164  
Old Posted May 13, 2018, 8:19 PM
skylinegazer's Avatar
skylinegazer skylinegazer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 245
a couple more renderings showing the newer design for the last tower

http://www.solodistrict.com/





http://www.solodistrict.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1165  
Old Posted May 13, 2018, 10:05 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Brentwood will have such a downtown feeling to it once all current projects complete. I hope the sidewalks will be wide enough for people to walk in this area.

If only Lougheed Highway would be a tunneled 3+3 through this area. Such a potential there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1166  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 12:11 AM
POCO POCO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Brentwood will have such a downtown feeling to it once all current projects complete. I hope the sidewalks will be wide enough for people to walk in this area.

If only Lougheed Highway would be a tunneled 3+3 through this area. Such a potential there.
I know a certain mayor and council that would have a heart attack if you proposed the city paying for even a portion of such a thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1167  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 12:34 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Brentwood will have such a downtown feeling to it once all current projects complete. I hope the sidewalks will be wide enough for people to walk in this area.

If only Lougheed Highway would be a tunneled 3+3 through this area. Such a potential there.
Thank you, Klazu. My image and idea exactly. Brentwood's going to need all that. But as POCO says, where's the $$$ coming from? Not Burnaby city, obviously. Then from where?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1168  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 1:03 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. snazzy pants View Post
a couple more renderings showing the newer design for the last tower
Thanks!

Definitely more of an urban look and less, "towers in the park".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1169  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 4:22 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
There must be millions upon millions of community amenity dollars coming from all these projects. Use that to pay for it.

Of course this is Lower Mainland where officials do whatever they can to HINDER movement of cars. The daily sight of congested traffic along Lougheed in Brentwood is the most environment-friendly thing there is to these people!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1170  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 3:36 PM
Aroundtheworld Aroundtheworld is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
There must be millions upon millions of community amenity dollars coming from all these projects. Use that to pay for it.

Of course this is Lower Mainland where officials do whatever they can to HINDER movement of cars. The daily sight of congested traffic along Lougheed in Brentwood is the most environment-friendly thing there is to these people!
Why exactly do cars need to move quickly through here when it's right on a Skytrain line and there is a freeway a few blocks to the south?

There's a cost to fast moving cars; it makes an area unpleasant to live in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1171  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 4:05 PM
rofina rofina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,149
I know Burnaby wants to turn Metrotown into "Downtown".

But I feel like Brentwood has a lot better chance of having a proper Downtown feel, if built out correctly.

Solo is a good start, but how new towers around the mall are executed is what will seal the deal.

IE; less tower in park, more urban setting, and more developers willing to risk office space.

I know Gilmore development will include office component, which I think is a positive.

Chance for large floor plate new office tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1172  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 4:12 PM
rofina rofina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by POCO View Post
I know a certain mayor and council that would have a heart attack if you proposed the city paying for even a portion of such a thing.
Yes - because having literally a billion dollars sitting in the City coffers is preferable.

I appreciate what Burnaby does, and I absolutely love living here, but I do think the council can be hardheaded and stuck in their ways when it comes to some of the more ambitious projects that would really benefit the city.

On the flip side - they do a ton right as well though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1173  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 5:02 PM
djmk's Avatar
djmk djmk is offline
victory in near
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
I know Burnaby wants to turn Metrotown into "Downtown".

But I feel like Brentwood has a lot better chance of having a proper Downtown feel, if built out correctly.
Metrotown has better green and public spaces

Central Park, the Metrotown Library and Bonsor are much closer and integrated then the equivalent at Brentwood.
__________________
i have no idea what's going on
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1174  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:17 PM
Geof Geof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
Why exactly do cars need to move quickly through here when it's right on a Skytrain line and there is a freeway a few blocks to the south? There's a cost to fast moving cars; it makes an area unpleasant to live in.
I agree.

I live here, and mostly drive - so I am quite familiar with the back-ups along Lougheed. I think the idea of a tunnel is crazy. The elimination of the Willingdon intersection would be a disaster for drivers, who would doubtless then clog the surrounding neighbourhood streets. If there is a transportation principle for good city-building (flagrantly violated during the latter half of the 20th century), it is surely to not sacrifice short trips for the benefit of long ones: because then the short trips become long ones, which is bad for everyone.

You are absolutely right about the cost to fast-moving cars. I thought it unimaginable that Lougheed could ever be a pleasant place to be as a pedestrian. I have been surprised to find that the traffic (worsened immeasurably over the past decade) helps. Try a bench in front of Solo. It is actually more pleasant when the cars are jammed up - because then they aren't roaring by. Perverse? Sure. But there it is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1175  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:27 PM
Geof Geof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
Metrotown has better green and public spaces. Central Park, the Metrotown Library and Bonsor are much closer and integrated then the equivalent at Brentwood.
True. The hills also cause problems for access to existing parks (Brentwood, Beecher, in future down to Still Creek).

Still, things will get better. A community centre is planned for the NW corner of the mall site, a park along Still Creek next to the Concord Development, mini plazas at Buchanan and Willingdon and at Douglas south of Lougheed, the extension of Willingdon Heights Park (to the west, where the city bought out houses, and to the south, where First Avenue will punch through to Douglas). Of course there's the new greenway up Willingdon, and sidewalks from here on out will adhere to the new standard with separated bike lanes and benches. Burnaby Lake and Confederation Park aren't all that far away, and have proper bike connections. Hopefully the Halifax-Delta Park Site (as Google calls it) will be built out at some point. I hesitate to include the plaza at the Amazing Brentwood, as it's really private, but I suppose it's worth mentioning.

Don't get me wrong: I think the lack of public space here is the most serious problem the area has. The items I listed above are good, but in my opinion not nearly enough. I especially want to see a decent public urban plaza.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1176  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 9:45 PM
rofina rofina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
True. The hills also cause problems for access to existing parks (Brentwood, Beecher, in future down to Still Creek).

Still, things will get better. A community centre is planned for the NW corner of the mall site, a park along Still Creek next to the Concord Development, mini plazas at Buchanan and Willingdon and at Douglas south of Lougheed, the extension of Willingdon Heights Park (to the west, where the city bought out houses, and to the south, where First Avenue will punch through to Douglas). Of course there's the new greenway up Willingdon, and sidewalks from here on out will adhere to the new standard with separated bike lanes and benches. Burnaby Lake and Confederation Park aren't all that far away, and have proper bike connections. Hopefully the Halifax-Delta Park Site (as Google calls it) will be built out at some point. I hesitate to include the plaza at the Amazing Brentwood, as it's really private, but I suppose it's worth mentioning.

Don't get me wrong: I think the lack of public space here is the most serious problem the area has. The items I listed above are good, but in my opinion not nearly enough. I especially want to see a decent public urban plaza.
That's actually a great point.

A public plaza or park, centrally located would be great.

I do suppose the Mall will receive a lot of traffic, I feel that it will truly become the neighbourhood centre particularly if its well serviced by restaurants, bars, etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1177  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 10:21 PM
scryer scryer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
That's actually a great point.

A public plaza or park, centrally located would be great.

I do suppose the Mall will receive a lot of traffic, I feel that it will truly become the neighbourhood centre particularly if its well serviced by restaurants, bars, etc.
Yeah a Plaza would do wonders for Burnaby. It's kind of funny that a plaza is the one thing that Surrey has over Burnaby at this stage in development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1178  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 11:23 PM
rofina rofina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,149
Best case scenario something for the community gets created on the Carter site.

Work with future developer to include a central gathering space and grant added density or height for the land lost due to a plaza.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1179  
Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:47 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
Why exactly do cars need to move quickly through here when it's right on a Skytrain line and there is a freeway a few blocks to the south?

There's a cost to fast moving cars; it makes an area unpleasant to live in.
There will be thousands of cars on Lougheed as long as the road exist, which is forever. Skytrain and Highway 1 both exist and have not changed that. On the opposite, there are even more cars clogging Lougheed as Highway 1 was underbuilt and is now a twice-a-day parking lot.

All these idling cars release tons of cancerous small particles in the air that the tower dwellers - in the future some 10% of Burnaby's residents - are breathing. Just watch how dirty your windows get - that's partly coming of those idling cars.

A tunnel could also be built in many ways and of course the Willingdon intersection would still exist. Such projects are numerous around the world, but here in Lower Mainland we are stuck with thinking small and always anti-cars. A lot of Burnabites are paying with their health for this poor, poor planning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1180  
Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:23 PM
GilmoreStation GilmoreStation is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 465
Is the higher floor you live the less impact you're going to suffer from these toxic car gas emmission?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:17 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.