Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker
It sounds like you mistook the light rail in this plan for some sort of commuter rail line. The point was never to get people from the suburbs in and out of the city faster. The point is to provide better mobility and more options on getting around in the city.
|
Actually, no I did not make such a mistake. Transit is not either/or. What I suggest is examination of an in between solution. The failed proposal would cause severe terrific traffic disruption and promotes a more dense linear growth along too narrow arterials. Have you tried to get through Spring Hill lately? When I suggest nodes, I mean points along the arterials best suited for zones of heavy development - residential and commercial, which are more than one block deep. I only suggest alongside the CSX in East Nashville as a path for moving from node to node faster than 25 mph. Move quickly parallel to the arterial and turn in a block or two to a destination within a block of the arterial core. It might not be a rail system at all, merely a dedicated path for some form of transit not shared with automobiles. There is too much potential for blockage due to automotive accidents and traffic overloads running down the center of our main streets. It would be available for commuters for downtown , but oriented to quickly connecting i.e. the bustling Five Points node in East Nashville with Vanderbilt/Centennial or 12th South.
I would like to see not only access to dense development at points along the arterials but connects to low density destinations like Shelby Bottoms for example. Mix low impact traffic (pedestrians and bikes) rather than adding to already clogged high impact traffic (automobiles and trucks). Heavy rail systems are not a good option for Nashville, you are right there. To some extent perhaps even water transportation with surface effects transport might be a possibility. Who knows?