Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
There is no need to do so. Sure. But the marginal cost is not anywhere close to what you're portraying it. I live near Cyrville for example. I can't see how any of that corridor was expensive to construct if they already had the ROW.
It's not like most employers in downtown Edmonton or Calgary are providing free parking either. And yet, their modal share is 🞵🞵🞵🞵. It's not even close.
And ultimately, that's what is really important here. Ottawa could have built twin tunnelled subways. It'd be pointless if people don't use it. At least BRT allowed seamless service that boosted ridership.
They are pretty damn close. The only thing they don't have is grade separation. And as I argued earlier. Ottawa only built this where it was cheap to do so. Otherwise, same exclusive ROW.
You've clearly never been to Cyrville or Barrhaven, etc. They only large stations were terminals. There maybe a few that were overbuilt. But by and large, they seem pretty appropriate to me. I am curious. Can you provide an image of what you think the stations should have been built like?
|
1. I think you're overestimating the relative cost of land compared to the cost of construction (particularly back in the 80s and 90s when land was pretty cheap). There is a lot of cost in building huge concrete structures, digging kilometers of open trench, overpasses, underpasses, those giant turbofans that ventilated St Laurent station, etc.
2. I'm not super familiar with Calgary parking, but when I search "free parking" on indeed in Calgary I get lots of major employers, including CP.
3. I am not aware that the transitway boosted ridership. I have no first hand knowledge, but charts like this one seem to suggest it did not.
4. Look at the Viva stations. They are one or two bus lengths long. They look nothing like the elaborate concrete structures Ottawa built.
5. I live a 12 minute walk from Cyrville. I have seen the station before it was closed and in the various phases of construction. It was overbuilt for the entire time the transitway operated. A few bus shelters and mechanism for pedestrian crossing (e.g. like Dominion) would have easily met demand. It is still overbuilt, but offers more hope that TOD will eventually increase its usage.
5a) St Laurent Station: the "local" platform which only served about 10 local routes (most with a 10 minute max frequency) has space for about 25 buses to stop.
5b) Almost all of the SE Transitway. These are mostly local neighbourhood stations (and should also resemble Dominion) but have 100m platforms, indoor overpasses, shelters designed for hundreds of people, etc.
5c) Lincoln Fields - Whitest Elephant of them all. Two distinct stations, 400m of platforms and only a handful of local routes to actually transfer to or from.