HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I wouldn't. Anything that you might describe as a building would be above the flood level for the most part. Anything in the remotely floodable zone would be things like patios or boat launches or pleasure piers that can tolerate being inundated, just as the existing tour boat dock at the foot of the locks does.
Then those locations will most likely be green spaces, when they are in the flood plain.

I understand what you want and I support lively urban locations near water, so long as we understand that those places that are prone to flooding will not contain very much.

Most of the locations that are shown on the map are along the shoreline and are low lying, so there are limits to what we can do with them. Perhaps, we need to look at what is possible on neighbouring property that is not as low lying to create what both you and I want.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Then those locations will most likely be green spaces, when they are in the flood plain.

I understand what you want and I support lively urban locations near water, so long as we understand that those places that are prone to flooding will not contain very much.

Most of the locations that are shown on the map are along the shoreline and are low lying, so there are limits to what we can do with them. Perhaps, we need to look at what is possible on neighbouring property that is not as low lying to create what both you and I want.
I think Uhuniau is suggesting we bury the river in a very large box culvert. This will allow us to raise the level of the surrounding land out of the flood plain, and maximize developable space. Of course, with no river, the NCC won't have an issue with this development. Flooding concerns then move upstream, becoming someone else's problem.

Last edited by Catenary; Apr 21, 2018 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
I think Uhuniau is suggesting we bury the river in a very large box culvert. This will allow us to raise the level of the surrounding land out of the flood plain, and maximize developable space. Of course, with no river, the NCC won't have an issue with this development. Flooding concerns than move upstream, becoming someone else's problem.
The comment of the day!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues