Wow, looks dramatically different from when I first moved here. Crazy.
When I moved to Austin in 1985, two of those buildings were there... and one of them was gold at the time. So you could say 1-1/2 of those buildings were there.
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Posts: 5,846
The World Golf Championship is currently in Austin and has been showing some phenomenal aerial footage from the Austin Country Club on television. The urban core looks gigantic and no doubt the hill country terrain is really eye-popping for those who think all of Texas is flat prairie.
I'm gonna miss not being able to see 360 and the One American Center figuring so prominently into our skyline. The One American Center was long one of my favorites because of the details on the building. Most of the other buildings from that era in Austin were pretty much lacking in that department. I like 360 for the same reason. It has some of the best detail and contrast on the skyline. And the portions on both of those buildings are pleasing to the eye. Plus, the actually contributed in a big way to the nighttime skyline with their lighting, something that the newer buildings have sort of neglected.
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Posts: 5,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas
I'm gonna miss not being able to see 360 and the One American Center figuring so prominently into our skyline. The One American Center was long one of my favorites because of the details on the building. Most of the other buildings from that era in Austin were pretty much lacking in that department. I like 360 for the same reason. It has some of the best detail and contrast on the skyline. And the portions on both of those buildings are pleasing to the eye. Plus, the actually contributed in a big way to the nighttime skyline with their lighting, something that the newer buildings have sort of neglected.
I agree about One American Center, given that it is at least unique to Austin. 360, on the other hand, has a carbon copy in Atlanta and I am glad it will no longer be such a prominent defining feature of our skyline.
I agree about One American Center, given that it is at least unique to Austin. 360, on the other hand, has a carbon copy in Atlanta and I am glad it will no longer be such a prominent defining feature of our skyline.
I know Atlanta had the original, but theirs is shorter (453 feet compared to 360, which is 581 feet), is longer, and the design isn't exactly the same. I'm not suggesting ours is better purely because it's taller, but because of the proportions lending to a better scaled building. And 360 just seems to be a more evolved version of that design.
I agree about One American Center, given that it is at least unique to Austin. 360, on the other hand, has a carbon copy in Atlanta and I am glad it will no longer be such a prominent defining feature of our skyline.
There is a building in Orlando that has similar dimensions as the One American Center but with angled roofs on each of the stairsteps. The first thought that came to mind when I saw it was how it reminded me of One American Center. There are differences just enough where it isn't an exact replica though.
Heres a 2015 pic of it from the back angle which most closely resembles ours from the same angle.
^Skyhouse. Those are all over the place as well, and they're done by the same firm that did 360 - Novare. Andrews Urban was a partner with that firm on 360 and Skyhouse in Austin. The Skyhouse model is duplicated in at least 10 cities. I know Austin, Dallas, Houston (I think they have two), Atlanta, Nashville, Orlando, Tampa, Charlotte, Raleigh, and even Denver all have at least one. I also know they were planning one in Cincinnati and also in Frisco (Texas).
^Skyhouse. Those are all over the place as well, and they're done by the same firm that did 360 - Novare. Andrews Urban was a partner with that firm on 360 and Skyhouse in Austin. The Skyhouse model is duplicated in at least 10 cities. I know Austin, Dallas, Houston (I think they have two), Atlanta, Nashville, Orlando, Tampa, Charlotte, Raleigh, and even Denver all have at least one. I also know they were planning one in Cincinnati and also in Frisco (Texas).
The difference between then and now is striking! Even when I compare what I remember when I last lived in Austin to when I last visited it just as striking. This city is booming! I can't wait to see what the skyline would look like in 2020 or so when the proposed 600 Guadalupe should be open if it happens.
Nice...from the Westin, I'm guessing. Is that hotel card access only? I was showing someone around Austin from out of town back in November, and we tried going up for some photos, but we couldn't get the elevator to let us. I was disappointed, because the last time I had been up there I had no problem, and the people on the pool deck were nice about it.