HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #641  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:32 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Interesting and the green line already exists as far as tracks but just not operational with trains and stations?
Yep, just like the red line before, it's an operational freight line. So you already know where the line is going to be/could be (RoW acquisition for any rerouting or spurs are probably precluded).

And just like the red line, even thought the line exists, there's some pretty significant costs with bringing it up to passenger standards, signaling standards, possibly additional quiet zones, adding stations, etc.

Even more if they decide to jump directly to full double-tracking, instead of doing the interim form they did for the red line.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #642  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 12:33 AM
clubtokyo's Avatar
clubtokyo clubtokyo is offline
クラブトクヨ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Yep, just like the red line before, it's an operational freight line. So you already know where the line is going to be/could be (RoW acquisition for any rerouting or spurs are probably precluded).

And just like the red line, even thought the line exists, there's some pretty significant costs with bringing it up to passenger standards, signaling standards, possibly additional quiet zones, adding stations, etc.

Even more if they decide to jump directly to full double-tracking, instead of doing the interim form they did for the red line.
Very cool! Thanks for the knowledge share.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #643  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:32 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Posts: 5,846
There's also been the idea thrown around to use highway medians to accommodate tracks from Highland Station until Johnny Morris connecting to the existing tracks there, using those tracks out to Elgin, with stations at Norwood, Johnny Morris, Manor, and Elgin.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=245019

(see page 10)

I don't think that idea went anywhere, though, and I'm glad it didn't. The Green Line is going to take a long time to come to fruition.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #644  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:52 AM
drummer drummer is offline
World Traveler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin metro area
Posts: 4,811
To Novacek, et al, are there any other proposed lines after the green line? I hear a lot of wishing this or that would happen, but I'm wondering if anything else has actually had any formal discussion.


For instance, I'd love to see something go up to Pflugerville, Round Rock, and Georgetown eventually now that LSR clearly isn't going to happen.

I'd also love to see something go south - at least down to Kyle/Buda, but even as far as San Marcos.

Of course, something to the airport/COTA would be nice as well.

West, I'd love to see a rail go out to the Bee Caves area (perhaps having a final stop around the Hill Country Galleria), but I realize that this is even more less likely than the other options.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #645  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 12:19 AM
JoninATX JoninATX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The ATX
Posts: 3,395
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #646  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 1:14 AM
freerover freerover is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
To Novacek, et al, are there any other proposed lines after the green line? I hear a lot of wishing this or that would happen, but I'm wondering if anything else has actually had any formal discussion.


For instance, I'd love to see something go up to Pflugerville, Round Rock, and Georgetown eventually now that LSR clearly isn't going to happen.

I'd also love to see something go south - at least down to Kyle/Buda, but even as far as San Marcos.

Of course, something to the airport/COTA would be nice as well.

West, I'd love to see a rail go out to the Bee Caves area (perhaps having a final stop around the Hill Country Galleria), but I realize that this is even more less likely than the other options.

There is the Mokan line which has been talked about for rail/road for decades. Campo just green lit a new study for the corridor. I think Round Rock and TxDot also have current studies but that info could be dated. Cap Metro has also identified it for its commuter rail network but that could require purchasing the ROW from the state for weird legal reasons if they want to only run rail and not add a highway. The issue might end up being if TxDot is ok with losing the ability to build a highway down it.

There is also the airport line which does not have an existing ROW. It would share the same rail as Mokan/Green but it would go south once it passes 183 while Green/Mokan go north. Mokan, Green, Airport and the Red Line would all share the downtown.




Here are some articles about Mokan:
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/transpor...ntinues-languish/LRTqXqJicdfMihyYqQ0KeJ/
https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2017/10/campo-greenlights-mokan-study/
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/city...ption-horrifying/ysLUlaKht3yTkqJqGRsv1M/
https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2016/07/txdot-shines-light-mokan-dos-mokan-donts/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #647  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 2:22 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
The Lyndon @ Springtown San Marcos

Check out this 360 webcam view: https://jobsight.hangar.com/-KoOczXYWJ7S...onKey=7r8qxD0Z&assetName=360%20Image%201
Nice find. I added that webcam to the CVC and Webcam sticky thread. I recently added the U.S. 183 Highway expansion webcams as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #648  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 11:22 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Sounds pretty ambitious. It mentions high rise condos, though, I'm not sure what they consider to be a high rise.

https://www.statesman.com/news/local/pro...d-for-cedar-park/bYnqekWAhPLNUI9EJfjRmJ/
Quote:
Project similar to Domain proposed for Cedar Park

Claire Osborn American-Statesman Staff
2:44 p.m Friday, March 9, 2018

A new development similar to the Domain in Austin could soon be headed to Cedar Park with restaurants, hotels, bars, office space, a movie theater, walkable shopping, condominiums and apartments.

The developer of Indigo Ridge, Todd Madden, president of Thompson Morris Real Estate Development, received approval Thursday night from the City Council to proceed with a petition to the Planning and Zoning Commission.

Indigo Ridge is planned for 126 acres at the corner of East Whitestone Boulevard (FM 1431) and Sam Bass Road (County Road 175) , one of the last large undeveloped tracts in the booming city of Cedar Park, said Madden. “We see an opportunity to create a world class mixed use development that will be a key component of Cedar Park’s continued emergence as a top tier city,” said Madden.

The eastern portion of the project that was presented to the City Council included 100,000 square feet for retail (restaurants/bars and other entertainment-type business) , 270,000 square feet of office space, 50,000 square feet of boutique office space, 120 high rise condominiums, 1,050 apartments and two hotel sites. “When the development is built out it will be worth approximately $1 billion,” said Madden..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #649  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 1:21 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,835
The article stated there would be 120 high-rise condos. Fifth & West and 70 Rainey each have around 160 units. So if all the units are in one building stacked on a parking podium, it could be 25+ floors. But something tells me we're more likely looking at surface parking or a Texas doughnut with a large footprint for the condo building. I'm guessing 6-8 stories.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #650  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 1:32 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Sounds pretty ambitious. It mentions high rise condos, though, I'm not sure what they consider to be a high rise.

https://www.statesman.com/news/local/pro...d-for-cedar-park/bYnqekWAhPLNUI9EJfjRmJ/
Cedar Park adding any sort of density is at least forward progress (now if they'd only add transit). But I do have to just chuckle a bit at the "representative retail" slide.

https://www.thompsonmorris.com/indigo-ridge
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #651  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 7:16 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This is still inside the Austin city limits, but barely. It's a 10-story hotel tower addition to the Omni resort on Barton Creek. I never realized this place existed.

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/bart...-add-story-tower/7wJe0WiDsgzvejGbHCshbJ/
You can actually see the Omni Resort from a few places around South Austin. I can see it from the parking garage at the South Austin Medical Center, and there's also a spot along 360 just before you get to Lamar where it shows up for a very short while.

Last week I was along that stretch of 360, and I noticed a crane poking up above the hotel. So it looks like they've started work on the new tower. I haven't been by there to see it in person, but I was able to snap a photo from 360. I won't bother with posting the pic since it blurred, but I can say for sure it was the hotel and the crane was right next to it.

According to this, construction is underway and will be complete in the middle of 2019.


https://bigreddog.com/construction-underway-at-omni-barton-creek-resort/

This seems to show the new tower with 11 floors.


http://www.ownersclubbartoncreek.com/member-area.html


https://www.austintexas.org/listings/omni-barton-creek-resort-%26-spa/9794/



Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa - https://www.facebook.com/OmniBartonCreek...666115/10154730392701116/?type=3&theater
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #652  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 2:31 PM
clubtokyo's Avatar
clubtokyo clubtokyo is offline
クラブトクヨ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
You can actually see the Omni Resort from a few places around South Austin. I can see it from the parking garage at the South Austin Medical Center, and there's also a spot along 360 just before you get to Lamar where it shows up for a very short while.

Last week I was along that stretch of 360, and I noticed a crane poking up above the hotel. So it looks like they've started work on the new tower. I haven't been by there to see it in person, but I was able to snap a photo from 360. I won't bother with posting the pic since it blurred, but I can say for sure it was the hotel and the crane was right next to it.

According to this, construction is underway and will be complete in the middle of 2019.


https://bigreddog.com/construction-underway-at-omni-barton-creek-resort/

This seems to show the new tower with 11 floors.


http://www.ownersclubbartoncreek.com/member-area.html


https://www.austintexas.org/listings/omni-barton-creek-resort-%26-spa/9794/



Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa - https://www.facebook.com/OmniBartonCreek...666115/10154730392701116/?type=3&theater
Wow that pool section is huge, looks nice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #653  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:54 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
I found the site plan for the Barton Creek Resort, but there aren't any elevations included, unfortunately. My guess is the building is around 140 feet tall or so.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/permit/p...=11643097&t_selected_propertyrsn=3135794
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #654  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 1:08 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
They actually took the fairly drastic step of closing down for a full year while construction is ongoing. My hotel has been trying to help find their staff temp jobs while that continues.

TBH, I'm not sure if the place is shuttered already or if it's pending. But it's happening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #655  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 6:01 AM
JoninATX JoninATX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The ATX
Posts: 3,395
City Council approves Kalahari Resorts zoning



Quote:
The Round Rock City Council unanimously approved the Planned Unit Development (PUD) zoning for the Kalahari Resort project at its April 12 meeting following a public hearing. The zoning applies to multiple parcels acquired by the City for the project. You can learn more about the rezoning process here.

The resort will feature a minimum of 975 guest rooms, a convention center, an indoor/outdoor water park, and other indoor and outdoor activities. The development will also include additional entertainment, recreation and other mixed uses on 351 acres on U.S. 79 across from the Dell Diamond and Old Settlers Park.

The project is expected to break ground in May.
https://www.roundrocktexas.gov/news/city-council-approves-kalahari-resorts-zoning/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #656  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 10:50 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,835
That Kalahari project definitely belongs in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #657  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 1:24 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,835
Here are some more Kalahari renderings. Congratulations Round Rock.






https://communityimpact.com/austin/round...ion-recommends-approval-kalahari-zoning/


I can't wait to eat at Tom Foolery's
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #658  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 1:35 AM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
I hear they have a great burger.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #659  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 1:42 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,835
As much as I despise this place for its tacky touristy ugliness, it will be a decent economic driver for Round Rock.
While living in the Upper Midwest, their Wisconsin flagship resort was a great weekend winter getaway for my family. I have good memories of that. But it's awful looking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #660  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 6:10 PM
MichaelB MichaelB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North edge of Downtown
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
As much as I despise this place for its tacky touristy ugliness, it will be a decent economic driver for Round Rock.
While living in the Upper Midwest, their Wisconsin flagship resort was a great weekend winter getaway for my family. I have good memories of that. But it's awful looking.
agree with all...... especially " belongs in the suburbs'!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:22 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.