HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9701  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 4:10 PM
mistercorporate's Avatar
mistercorporate mistercorporate is offline
The Fruit of Discipline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,036
Now I've seen the interiors, it's 1 and 2 for me.
__________________
MLS: Toronto FC
Canadian Premier League: York 9 FC
NBA: Raptors
     
     
  #9702  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 11:45 PM
GeneralLea's Avatar
GeneralLea GeneralLea is online now
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 5,980
I really like the brutalist-like interior of the third submission, but I'd go for the first submission or the last.
__________________
"Living life on the edge"
     
     
  #9703  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 11:48 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I really like the brutalist-like interior of the third submission, but I'd go for the first submission or the last.
Same but I feel like we could use something completely new and different. Im hoping #4 has some better and more refined renders on hand when they present it next week. Any of the 4 are good thoygh.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #9704  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 11:52 PM
GeneralLea's Avatar
GeneralLea GeneralLea is online now
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 5,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Same but I feel like we could use something completely new and different. Im hoping #4 has some better and more refined renders on hand when they present it next week. Any of the 4 are good thoygh.
By all means I agree. I just don't care much for submission 3's exterior...it seems to keep to that boxy institutional approach.
__________________
"Living life on the edge"
     
     
  #9705  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 11:58 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,722
Ya. I really hope thats not what they choose. I really like #2 but i feel like Ryeson has already provided us with a structure like that albeit its not a wood structure. #1 will ad some warmth with all that exposed timbre. Its also a shame these proposals arent for the location of the current campus to the south of it. They would look great right on the water.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #9706  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 2:32 AM
isaidso isaidso is online now
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
#2 then #1 for me although I'd be happy with either of those GB proposals.
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT
     
     
  #9707  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 4:08 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Interiors

1 plain jane
2 those hanging trusses into the open space make zero sense to me.
3 this space probably has the most potential but, where's the wood and the x braces
4 too conceptual to form an opinion.

Overall
1 & 3 tie

1 it's wood but unadventurous
3 I like the details the best although I'm concerned with TFAI handling the project. wood is secondary
4 too conceptual
2 wannabe
     
     
  #9708  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:28 AM
Holzbau's Avatar
Holzbau Holzbau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
those hanging trusses into the open space make zero sense to me.
The trusses support the roof; looks like a column free space. What don't you understand?

I like Shigeru and Patkau, the other two are decent but not overly exciting.
     
     
  #9709  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 3:09 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
It is actually you that misunderstood. I was speaking aesthetically. They are 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 ugly. They take a grand open space and make it low slung and restrictive. The whole project comes across that way with the fritted glass and trendy angular planes. It's very plastic.
     
     
  #9710  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 5:07 PM
GeneralLea's Avatar
GeneralLea GeneralLea is online now
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 5,980
Yea, the second submission makes no sense to me.....it's like the threw away the pragmatics of the space and wanted to add some pointless design to make it look like eye candy. My least favourite submission because of that....and the fritted glass exterior looks like some Montreal knockoff.
__________________
"Living life on the edge"
     
     
  #9711  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 10:33 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
Looks like we should see some action on the Healy Ford redevelopment DP soon.


https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.files....-real-estate-wants-build-residential.jpg


edmontonjournal.com
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9712  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 12:49 AM
GeneralLea's Avatar
GeneralLea GeneralLea is online now
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 5,980
Interesting.....not much to say since it's early on.
__________________
"Living life on the edge"
     
     
  #9713  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 12:52 AM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Looking forward to them rising.
     
     
  #9714  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 2:53 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
^I'm sure Montreal would love that building in their city

Sorry to quote from soo long ago but LOL at myself. I just realized I thought that proposal was for Montreal.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #9715  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 2:59 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
The addition/completion of our beloved Winspear Concert Hall has been funded by the Province, ie. will move forward now.


https://res.cloudinary.com/winspear-centre/image/upload/v1521671784/Completion_Exterior_vtoizv.jpg

The Winspear Completion Project will feature a 600-seat flex-use midsize acoustic hall, childcare centre, underground parkade, multifunctional spaces, and commercial space. This project will become the home base for the community programming offered through the Tommy Banks Centre for Musical Creativity and allow increased capacity for education, outreach, and partnership with sister arts organizations and business partners.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9716  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 3:30 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Those are some great projects coming up in Edmonton.
     
     
  #9717  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 4:33 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The addition/completion of our beloved Winspear Concert Hall has been funded by the Province, ie. will move forward now.


.
This is one of 2 proposals I have seen on this. ATB (Stantec) has another that is not as elaborate and will probably be the proposal moving forward. However if this one does get the nod, I expect a lot of value engineering.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #9718  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 4:50 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
This is one of 2 proposals I have seen on this. ATB (Stantec) has another that is not as elaborate and will probably be the proposal moving forward. However if this one does get the nod, I expect a lot of value engineering.
I assume the weird glass stripped domes will be one of the first things to be changed. Not sure how realistic that material would be in the real world anyway. I'd laugh if it becomes metal siding.
     
     
  #9719  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 5:00 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I assume the weird glass stripped domes will be one of the first things to be changed. Not sure how realistic that material would be in the real world anyway. I'd laugh if it becomes metal siding.
Would love to see this one as well but realistically I don't see it. I know there was a lot of study on the concert hall and practice area along with the public spaces. So that would be where the lions share money is spent.

When I look at this rendering I see elements of the Nation Music Centre.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #9720  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 11:50 PM
davidivivid davidivivid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 3,074
I do like the design but I wonder if its going to age well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The addition/completion of our beloved Winspear Concert Hall has been funded by the Province, ie. will move forward now.


https://res.cloudinary.com/winspear-centre/image/upload/v1521671784/Completion_Exterior_vtoizv.jpg

The Winspear Completion Project will feature a 600-seat flex-use midsize acoustic hall, childcare centre, underground parkade, multifunctional spaces, and commercial space. This project will become the home base for the community programming offered through the Tommy Banks Centre for Musical Creativity and allow increased capacity for education, outreach, and partnership with sister arts organizations and business partners.
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:05 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.