I share the nostalgia for Elitch's, but I'm far more interested in some bigger picture questions that nobody seems to be asking or answering about the long-term future of parkland by the Platte River, and how this is all connected to the
flood plain.
Does any fill dirt need to be brought in to change the flood map in the areas labeled "AH" and "AE" on the existing FEMA map before such before such large-scale development? What does Denver Greenways have to say about these plans, and what is the long-term vision for the Platte River Greenway through this area?
I've never been under any delusion that Elitch's would be around forever in its current form (just look at my previous posts on the subject - the land is simply too valuable), but I too am worried that the recreational/landscape design will simply become an afterthought. Part of the brilliance of Riverfront Park is in how the park itself is thoughtfully designed and integrated into the neighborhood. With kid-friendly activities already in the area, such as the Children's Museum, Aquarium, historic trolley line, and plenty of parkland likely to remain in the flood zone (again, I'd like to know exactly how much land and where), there could be a real opportunity to think of this as a whole new kind of city park. I don't think it that far-fetched to consider if perhaps the historic carousel, Ferris wheel, or even the Twister Coaster, could be left as elements in this park.
The Platte Greenway is a big part of what makes this area special, and there's no reason that the Auraria segment shouldn't have a park equally as grand as Commons Park. But with that said, it shouldn't just be a generic duplicate of Commons Park, and should probably acknowledge its existing amenities, historic resources, and cultural identity (which since the early 90s, includes Elitch's). The initial concept rendering depicts a shrunk-down greenway park that leaves little more than a narrow strip of land along the river. I share the fear that this could become a completely development-driven process that ignores importance and opportunity of the public realm.