Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy
Right and yet gastown and the warehouse portion of yaletown are hugely popular to live in. Or areas like old Montreal, so I think people are fine with it. However, my point wasn't what's better or not or that I prefer one form over another but rather me just wanting to see something different. All these master planned developments feel and look all the same, from curving streets and cul de sacs and huge set backs with greenery everywhere. A lot of them look great. I have no problem with them in of themselves,
|
I get that your preference is for building form like old Yaletown (the warehouse area) and Gastown. I don't think there are any residential buildings in either area that don't have a commercial use of some sort on the main floor, so that only really works where you have a higher level of activity overall (both areas have more office space than residential space, and also have retail and restaurants that serve a much wider area). There just isn't enough demand (need) for that much non-residential space. Even if Vin insists there is.
You've mentioned Duke on Kingsway as an example. That also has retail on the main floor. Personally, I think it's way too big and really badly designed density. It almost works in the context of Kingsway, which because it's on an odd angle and really wide can just about handle a tall building, but I think Stella across the street by the same architect, with a setback, is much more appropriate and probably more pleasant to live in. It isn't as dense - but I think Duke illustrates perfectly how a building that might work in Manhattan among similar sized old commercial buildings (or Downtown Los Angeles, or anywhere else with that scale of building) sticks out like a sore thumb when everything around is recently built and at a lower density.
I think the new 10 storey residential buildings in places like Victory Square, and the non-market ones in the Downtown Eastside are where you'll find the back-of-sidewalk then 10 storeys straight up, but I think there would be a justifiable backlash if you tried to create that elsewhere. Don't forget that for Kerrisdale,
an eight storey building is a tower!