HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6621  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 6:02 PM
j_deguzman10 j_deguzman10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 129
Hi guys its me again, I'm writing a letter to Mayor Steinberg asking about the development of Aura at 621 Capitol Mall and I will attempt to encourage the city to pressure the developers into building the project and/or offering financial incentives/support to construct the building that has been on hold for the past 12 years due to the recession and Mo Mohanna lawsuit. Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6622  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:02 PM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
“The Big EasyChair”
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 🌳🌴🌲 Sacramento 🌳 🌴🌲
Posts: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deguzman10 View Post
Hi guys its me again, I'm writing a letter to Mayor Steinberg asking about the development of Aura at 621 Capitol Mall and I will attempt to encourage the city to pressure the developers into building the project and/or offering financial incentives/support to construct the building that has been on hold for the past 12 years due to the recession and Mo Mohanna lawsuit. Wish me luck!
The city can't really pressure David Taylor to build Aura, especially when it has more pressing eyesores in the city such as J street and 301 CM (Thanks John Saca). It's possible David Taylor may look at developing that site with some kind of residential component with any capital he might have received from the sale of the adjacent U.S. Bank tower to the Shorenstein company. But I wouldn't expect anything as grand as the former Aura proposal. If something does get built I would suspect it would be more in scale with Mohanna's 11 story 19J project (except it would likely be market rate).

Time will tell.
__________________
Sacramento
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6623  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 8:43 PM
ltsmotorsport's Avatar
ltsmotorsport ltsmotorsport is offline
Here we stAy
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Parkway Pauper
Posts: 7,758
I don't think there's any way that site get a project the scale of 19J. Location alone, fronting CM and across from G1C, make this prime real estate for larger projects. This site is also way bigger than the 19J property.

I agree however that the Aura won't be built, simply because I doubt the architect is interested in having his design be built without a hefty fee. I nice office/condo product would be a good fit, IMO. A new tallest is always welcome too.
__________________
Riding out the crazy train
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6624  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 1:36 AM
ThatDarnSacramentan ThatDarnSacramentan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,135
So I was trying to remember the details of the Sacramento Commons project for something I'm looking at, and I reread the Business Journal story (pro tip: beat the paywall by stopping the page from fully loading, the paywall is the last thing to load). Something stood out to me and I'm not sure if it's accurate or if they got something wrong:

Quote:
Units at Sacramento Commons would be in mid-rise buildings on the western half of the site, two new high-rises on the corner of P and Seventh and either a condominium or hotel/condominium tower at P and Ninth.
They must have meant P and 7th, right? P and 9th is three state buildings and Roosevelt Park.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6625  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 1:11 AM
j_deguzman10 j_deguzman10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 129
I’m just curious to hear from everyone what projects do you think are going to get off the ground this year in West Sac and Sac? Do you guys think that the so called “building boom” exists or is just all hype? Personally I do hope that The Metropolitan can get started even though Saca is being a pain in the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 and that The Bridge District and The Railyards can finally start buulding faster, especially the former.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6626  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 7:23 PM
ozone's Avatar
ozone ozone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deguzman10 View Post
I’m just curious to hear from everyone what projects do you think are going to get off the ground this year in West Sac and Sac? Do you guys think that the so called “building boom” exists or is just all hype? Personally I do hope that The Metropolitan can get started even though Saca is being a pain in the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 and that The Bridge District and The Railyards can finally start buulding faster, especially the former.
I guess it depends on what you call a building boom? There’s a lot of infill being built in “the grid” but mostly outside of downtown and no high-rises. A lot of this is due to the property owners, which includes too many out of town multi investers. As for those old precrash proposals. They aren’t likely to be realized. The Railyards will soon be getting its first housing project soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6627  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 6:57 PM
Pistola916 Pistola916 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SAN FRANCISCO/SACRAMENTO
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deguzman10 View Post
I’m just curious to hear from everyone what projects do you think are going to get off the ground this year in West Sac and Sac? Do you guys think that the so called “building boom” exists or is just all hype? Personally I do hope that The Metropolitan can get started even though Saca is being a pain in the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 and that The Bridge District and The Railyards can finally start buulding faster, especially the former.
There are two state office buildings getting started in the summer - one is an 11-story building on 12th and O streets, and a 20-story high-rise at 8th and P.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6628  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 2:03 AM
j_deguzman10 j_deguzman10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 129
http://www.sactownmag.com/December-January-2017/Top-of-the-Town/
Check this out I found an article last year by Sactown Mag about 7 proposals for observation towers and vertical parks in Sacramento. What do you guys think about this/ Do you think that the city has a chance of constructing one of these because it would be a great addition for Sacramento. The average cost of a tower is 70 million for these proposals and they are recent designs, unlike the competition from 2011 that failed to produce any construction or hype. Getting any one of these projects built would have a huge effect on the tourism and an increase in hotel tax due to the project's "monument" status and would certainly give Sacramento the spotlight.

Personally my favorite is Amplified and Prospect Tower but let me know on what you guys think.

(I wrote a letter to Mayor Steinberg, Vice Mayor Hansen, and GSEC about this I'll let you guys know when I get a response)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6629  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:12 PM
innov8's Avatar
innov8 innov8 is offline
Kodachrome
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: livinginurbansac.blogspot
Posts: 5,088
Anything is possible and I do not have the answer, but whatever it is it should be
something unique and original. The Mayor has also thought both an aquarium or
observation tower were good ideas... but neither are original. There are already a
dozen aquariums in CA alone. This observation tower is boring if it has no other
function. IMO, these seven proposals are not iconic and I don’t see enough people
willing to pay money to use it. This is the 3rd or 4th time this type of article has been
published by Sactown in the last 10 years with many of same proposals
getting recycled and shown again like it’s something different this time. The skyline
could use some height, but this is a weak way to do it. They should focus on getting
the Powerhouse Science center built first, its been on the drawing board
for 15 years or more with not enough money to build.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6630  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:20 PM
CAGeoNerd CAGeoNerd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 357
"The Spire and the Canopy" looks cool but also literally look like the Wookie homeworld from Star Wars.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6631  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:49 AM
enigma99a's Avatar
enigma99a enigma99a is offline
Megalonorcal 11M~
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rocklin
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
The Mayor has also thought both an aquarium or
observation tower were good ideas... but neither are original. There are already a
dozen aquariums in CA alone. This observation tower is boring if it has no other
function.
We have a nice aquarium in Monterey and I agree although it is nice to have something closer for kids. I also think a tower isn’t good money spent. I would also like to see the science center completed, which btw has all the funding and is planned to break ground this summer.

Would like to see the railyard buildings restored and completed with attractions. I wish the city would invest in the zoo more. I think $200 million would be a good investment and move it to an area that isn’t land locked and can expand. (Sutters landing regional park would be perfect)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6632  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 5:17 PM
ozone's Avatar
ozone ozone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,270
All of those hypothetical observation towers are ugly. But there's no reason to worry about any of them ever being erected. There's no general will or funding for them. Our city leaders (public and private) are always looking to other cities for inspiration. And they are always looking for that one big thing that will finally bring about downtown's tipping point. And it is that sort of thinking that is partially to blame for downtown's slow progression. These people really do not understand why great cities are great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6633  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:37 PM
ThatDarnSacramentan ThatDarnSacramentan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
All of those hypothetical observation towers are ugly. But there's no reason to worry about any of them ever being erected. There's no general will or funding for them. Our city leaders (public and private) are always looking to other cities for inspiration. And they are always looking for that one big thing that will finally bring about downtown's tipping point. And it is that sort of thinking that is partially to blame for downtown's slow progression. These people really do not understand why great cities are great.
Agreed. I can think of at least ten different things we could do before some Space Needle knockoff that would make this city better and more vibrant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6634  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:37 PM
LandofFrost's Avatar
LandofFrost LandofFrost is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 195
1. Fix up, do something cool with the Rail Yard Buildings. In connection with the Railroad museum and old town, they are very cool attractions in themselves.

2. Fix up the areas under the raised freeways that surround Sacramento especially near the new proposed Science Museum.

3. Make the river part of Downtown, it feels so disconnected and is one of the coolest things about Sacramento.


Those things are all better then spending money on a observation tower or aquarium.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6635  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 12:11 AM
snfenoc's Avatar
snfenoc snfenoc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Steve in East Sac
Posts: 1,143
Just saw a tweet from Sac Business Journal writer, Ben van der Meer: "Nothing official, but sounds as if the hotel Randy Paragary is developing near the Sofia (the new theater for the B Street Theater company) will start work in about 90 days."

The Fort Sutter Hotel would be a really nice addition to the area.

https://www.downtownsac.org/project/fort-sutter-hotel/

__________________
Sincerely,
Steve in East Sac
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6636  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 3:31 PM
ozone's Avatar
ozone ozone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,270
^^^ Excellent. Didn't read the article but I assume that Cafe Bernardo's will reopen in the new hotel?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6637  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 11:08 PM
ThatDarnSacramentan ThatDarnSacramentan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,135
Anyone know or heard about a project at 16th and Broadway next to Willie's? The parking lot on the corner got fenced off overnight and the sidewalks have been closed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6638  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 7:34 PM
Ellisjh@ Ellisjh@ is offline
Cityoftreesguy
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Curtis Park
Posts: 6
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.sacbee.co...ns-blogs/city-beat/article157378229.html

Broadway in Landpark getting another new restaurant
Article: Ryan Lillis
Publication: Sacramento Bee
Date published: June,21st,2017

Last edited by Ellisjh@; Mar 11, 2018 at 8:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6639  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 7:36 PM
Ellisjh@ Ellisjh@ is offline
Cityoftreesguy
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Curtis Park
Posts: 6
I live in Curtis Park near by and have been anticipating this project, I hope this is the project you were referencing @ ThatDarnSacramentan

Last edited by Ellisjh@; Mar 11, 2018 at 8:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6640  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 8:14 PM
hocobo hocobo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Anyone know or heard about a project at 16th and Broadway next to Willie's? The parking lot on the corner got fenced off overnight and the sidewalks have been closed.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article157378229.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:32 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.